What's new

Help me choose a Receiver (1 Viewer)

Brian Johnson

Supporting Actor
I have been looking for a budget receiver to get me into the HT world. I have already bought my speaker surrounds & center channel(klipsch) and guess looking for a warm sounding receiver to off-set the brightness of the speakers. I know I want one less than 400 bucks w/ prologic II and have narrowed it down the denon avr1602 for 399(but can get it for 350) Any other suggestions in this price range.
confused.gif

Mark Gurney

Stunt Coordinator
I was all ready to suggest the Denon AVR-1602 before I reach the bottom of your post. As I have experience with the 1602, as well as the Onkyo TX-DS494, those are usually the receivers that I suggest. But since you are looking for a receiver to offset the brightness of the Klipsch, the 1602 seems to be your best bet in my opinion.

Brian Johnson

Supporting Actor
Anyone think I should hold off any buying till the 'christmas season' do they normally have big sales or is this the best its gonna be. I hate buying electronics just to bring it home & then the new denon avr1603 comes out :) THanks

BryanZ

Screenwriter
Around that price range are the Denon AVR-1802 (though getting it at that price from an authorized dealer may be a bit of a trick) and the Onkyo TX-DS595.

Brian Johnson

Supporting Actor
Just comparing the 3 avr1602,avr1802,onkyo ds595- the 1602 compares w/ the onkyo for 100 dollars less. The onkyo may have 5 more watts & a couple a more inputs/outputs but for 100 bucks less give me the 1602- if i were paying an extra 100 for a receiver it would be the 1802. I guess I made up my own mind
laugh.gif

But anymore advise before buying is appreciated. Im in no rush

Jo_M

Stunt Coordinator
I have the 1802, it's my first reciever and so far I really like it. I'm very new to HT so I may not be a good judge.

Bobby T

Supporting Actor
I have a 2802 hooked up to Klipsch speakers. It sounds awesome, you'll be very pleased with a Denon-Klipsch combination. If you can part with the $100 go on and get the 1802; but if not Klipsch are very efficient speakers and can be driven easily with the 1602.
------------------
Mongo like HTF
[Edited last by Bobby T on November 05, 2001 at 03:36 PM]

Bill Cowmeadow

Second Unit
At etronics.com you can get a Kenwood 510vr for the incredible price of $409.00
The 510 is THX select certified with all the bells and whistles you want
Just another idea.
Bill

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
Good idea Bill! I'll also vote for the Kenwood 510.
------------------
Sean
"I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates who said.......I drank what?"

Jeremy Hegna

Supporting Actor
I, too, would take a look at those Kenwoods in that price range...a lot of good things coming out of the woodwork lately about Kenwood's receivers.
Also, you said....
"I hate buying electronics just to bring it home & then the new denon avr1603 comes out THanks"
I think you'll be fine going with one of the XX02 receivers from Denon....as they just came out and there's not anything that they lack at this time format wise.
Jeremy

Mark Gurney

Stunt Coordinator
You should be pretty safe from an AVR-1603 being released (the 1602 is only a few months old!). About waiting until after Christmas, that's your call. Who knows what kind of deals there might be, but if you get it now, you could enjoy it now.....
My personal preference (with my limited experience) has been Denon and Onkyo. But Kenwood and Yamaha have nice equipment as well. I would stick with those four, look at models in your price range and see which suits you best. Happy hunting!

BrianKM

Stunt Coordinator
I don't know what kind of quotes you have been getting for the 595, but you can get it from J&R for $356 pretty easily. I did that about six months ago and I've been really happy with it. If you're dead set on the Denon though, go for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks