What's new

Help - DVD Player Recommendations Needed Fast!!! (1 Viewer)

Dane

Auditioning
Okay, so here's the situation. I'm a big DVD fan with a nice collection, but I haven't been bought a DVD player (or even looked into buying one) for quite a while and I don't reallly know the "state of the market" right now. I have an old Phillips DVD825 which has served we very well for nearly 3 years -- runs flawlessly, plays everything, really no complaints at all and I feel no pressing need to upgrade.
So now I'm thinking about getting my kids (who live with my ex) a DVD player for Christmas, and I have 2 options:
(a) buy them the best low-priced DVD player currently available, or
(b) spend a bit more to buy a better player for myself and give them the Phillips.
I'm assuming (based solely on ads I've seen) that I can buy a unit roughly equivalent to my Phillips for around $150, and I would welcome recommendations for good players (as well as online dealers) in that sort of price range. I would also welcome opinions on upgrading -- should I upgrade (and why), to what (i.e., recommended models) and at what price, and what benefits would I get for the extra money I'd have to spend to upgrade.
I realized this is a pretty broad set of questions, and I haven't been active on this forum for so long that I don't know if people who ask very broad questions like this (without doing a lot of keyword searches first) get the s**t flamed out of them, but I'm hoping there will be some helpful souls out there who will be patient and give me some useful advice.
Thanks in advance.

Brian Mansure

Second Unit
Welcome to the HTF Dane.
There are a few threads around right now about affordable DVD players that you should probably look at.
Right off the cuff I can mention the Pioneer DV-444 which I just got as an early Christmas present.
You can probably pick it up for about $200.00 or so.
Don't be scared off by the retail price of $449.00, I haven't found one person yet that has payed anything more then $300.00 for it.
Features that I like... MP3 playback (displays folder tree and file names), great audio, solid video performance coupled with a sleek profile and silver color and it plays almost any disk format currently out.
Also, the Pioneer 440 is basically the same player without progressive output, althought the DV-444 doesn't have built-in 2:3 pulldown so it's not considered a "true" progressive player in the first place.
One more DVD player I think you can't go wrong with is the Panasonic DVD RV-31 or even last years Panasonic model RV-30, if MP3 playback isn't a feature you're looking for.
You can read a few posts here but also check out www.audioreview.com for consumer reviews.
No flamming here but with such broad scope I hope I narrowed down a few players for you to consider.
Hope this helps a little.
Brian

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks