What's new
World Wide Stereo

Help designing my home theater layout (1 Viewer)

bob3

Auditioning
Real Name
Bob
Hi, First of all, thank you very much in advance. I am trying to decide what speaker system to get and where to put them. Below are pictures of my layout. Basically it is a long and fairly narrow room - 13' wide x 22' long, but the length doesn't just close off, it extends into the kitchen so it is more like a 40' long area. Just the TV area is 22' long. I am very much a novice, and I've spent about ten hours researching this stuff, and came to the conclusion to buy Energy Take 5.1 ($400) and an Onyko TX-NR 515 receiver ($300). This takes me right around where my wife wants me to be with a budget. From reading reviews, I was "sold" on getting both products. My problem: I don't want to move my TV (Samsung 60" model 7500), and the screen is only about 1.75" above the mantel. She doesn't want me attaching anything to the bottom of the mantel or into the fireplace brick. So basically I've concluded that I can't put a center speaker dead center (Energy Take is 4.125" H) . She says just put it where the cable box currently is and angle a little bit, but from what I've read, that just wouldn't work. I'm planning on putting all equipment - receiver, cable box, etc. in the right corner of the room on or near the floor. Before you answer, one comment: I am not looking for a perfect system, just a significant improvement over the TV with no surround sound. Basically, if the set-up I have now is a 1, and spending thousands of $'s with perfect location is a 10, I'd like to get somewhere around a 5-8. I'd also prefer simple (no big holes in the wall) and a small system - no big towers. Question: What type of system would you get, and where would you put the speakers? Primary viewing area is where the couch is and the chair to the right of the couch. Would the Energy Take system work with the center speaker on the side and slightly angled? Should I get the Energy Take system and just not use a center speaker? Thank you very much, Bob (top pic is facing away from TV, bottom is facing TV from beginning of kitchen)
f5681f3d_Picfacingawayfromtv.jpeg
fdd31989_PicfacingTV.jpeg

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
That is an awfully big room for tiny little speakers. And the "mounting woops", you could always mount the speaker to the TV. Whatever brand of wall mount you bought...they probably have a center speaker mount.

LIsound

Auditioning
Real Name
sam
I am designing a new home theater in my basement. could you give some input in selecting good 3D projector ( i am thinking of getting epson) and speakers and other AV equpment.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
LIsound said:
I am designing a new home theater in my basement. could you give some input in selecting good 3D projector ( i am thinking of getting epson) and speakers and other AV equpment.
You should start your own thread

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anonymous01
Recent bookmarks