What's new

Help a newbie hook up receiver to sub. (1 Viewer)

DustinF

Agent
I wanted to try using an extra receiver to run my Tempest.

Please help with setup and wiring.

Do I run my regular subwoofer output (one wire) to some input of the extra receiver. Which input would I use?

Next how would I wire from the extra receiver to the tempest? I believe the extra receiver is only rated 8ohms.

Thanks

Brian Fellmeth

Supporting Actor
Pick any input that is not phono. They are all the same. Run speaker wire from the R or L speaker outputs- thats it. You may want to pint he balance to the appropriate side. The amp will probably be ok with the load of the 2 tempest coils in parallell even though its supposed to be "8 ohm". Check the temperature of the extra receiver when playing loud. If its getting hot or shuts down to protect itself, you may have to resort to increasing the impedance load of the tempest by either wiring the voice coils in series, or jut using one of them.

Brian Fellmeth

Supporting Actor
PS
I just though of another option that might be better. Split your sub signal and plug into both R and L of whichever source you choose. Then run 2 pairs of speaker wire- one to each coil (don't reverse polarity). Then you will use both channels of your extra reciever, each having a comfortable 8 ohm load. Be sure to put the receiver's balance in the center.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks