Help a newbie hook up receiver to sub.

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by DustinF, May 6, 2004.

1. DustinF

DustinF Agent

I wanted to try using an extra receiver to run my Tempest.

Please help with setup and wiring.

Do I run my regular subwoofer output (one wire) to some input of the extra receiver. Which input would I use?

Next how would I wire from the extra receiver to the tempest? I believe the extra receiver is only rated 8ohms.

Thanks

2. Brian Fellmeth

Brian Fellmeth Supporting Actor

Pick any input that is not phono. They are all the same. Run speaker wire from the R or L speaker outputs- thats it. You may want to pint he balance to the appropriate side. The amp will probably be ok with the load of the 2 tempest coils in parallell even though its supposed to be "8 ohm". Check the temperature of the extra receiver when playing loud. If its getting hot or shuts down to protect itself, you may have to resort to increasing the impedance load of the tempest by either wiring the voice coils in series, or jut using one of them.

3. Brian Fellmeth

Brian Fellmeth Supporting Actor

PS
    I just though of another option that might be better. Split your sub signal and plug into both R and L of whichever source you choose. Then run 2 pairs of speaker wire- one to each coil (don't reverse polarity). Then you will use both channels of your extra reciever, each having a comfortable 8 ohm load. Be sure to put the receiver's balance in the center.

4. DustinF

DustinF Agent

Thanks. Is there a prefered method between the two you listed.

5. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

The second option will give your sub more juice.