What's new

Hell Just Froze Over.... (1 Viewer)

John Stell

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Stell
It took less than 72 hours (from order to receipt) for The Skull to be in my hands. I watched it last night and it was like seeing the film again for the first time. Very creepy, beautiful film. The transfer is excellent, not over-done to remove details in the name of smoothness. I highly recommend it.

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
I purchased 9 titles. I am very pleased. They arrived within 3 days of my order. All are anamorphic. HURRICANE is in stereo. HOUDINI (the only title 1.33 original aspect ratio) MANDINGO, FRANCH POSTCARDS, POSSESSION OF JOEL DELANEY, BUSY BODY (2.35), SERIAL, VILLA RIDES (2.35), and WON TON TON. I look forward to watching in full these guilty pleasures.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
I ordered and received 17 titles(I am a nut for the 60's and 70's films). I found each one of them to have a great transfer and more than acceptable sound. I do believe that they look better than when I saw them in the theatres during their original release when I was nothing but a child. I was very happy to finally see Those Daring Young Men and Their Jaunty Jalopies released. My thanks to Legend Films and hope they are able to continue with their Paramount agreement. I will be in line when the next wave of horror comes out in a month or so.

Random Hero

Second Unit
Real Name
Paul
This is great! I had no idea that Legend Films was offering most of the titles for ordering on their website already, and they were already shipping them out. I thought that I would just have to order what I wanted from Amazon or hope that one of the brick-and-mortar store chains would stock these, which might be unlikely. I had wondered if Legend Films would offer them directly, but even so, I was afraid they would ship them in June like everyone else. Looks like I don't have to wait until June, then. Great news!

I have a few questions, though, for those that ordered and received their DVDs. Everyone seems to be getting them fairly quickly. What kind of shipping speed / service and shipping carrier did Legend Films use?

Also, since Legend Films works with restoration and such, does that mean that all of these DVDs have had some cleanup done? Of course, I'm not expecting anything immaculate or extensive, considering many of these titles are "never thought they'd be on DVD," guilty pleasures, or non-award-winning movies, and they are very reasonably priced. Still, if they at least gave each film a quick scrubbing to remove some dirt and artifacts, that would be terrific.

So, I just ordered two of the films that I've really wanted on DVD. Depending on how things go, I just might place some more orders later. Seems like so far, everyone is happy with the DVDs and the service from Legend Films. Again, thanks for this thread! I'm glad that I could order already.

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
I wonder if the Legend/Paramount partnership might lead to a release of Jerzy Skolimowski's Deep End. It was recently revived in a new 35mm print. I suspect that the soundtrack, which includes Can and Cat Stevens, might be holding this one back. Thinking about it a little more, it's probably a title Criterion would want.

Anthology Film Archives film capsule

J Hall

Agent
Real Name
John Hall
I ordered 4 titles last Thursday..."The Busy Body", "Won-Ton-Ton", "Money From Home" and "Student Bodies".
I received all 4 yesterday (Monday 4-14). To say I was impressed with the fast service is a understatement
I watched "Busy Body" last night. It looked great. Tonight I'm watching Martin and Lewis.

Random Hero

Second Unit
Real Name
Paul

Are those titles available to rent already, or are they just available to Save for later in your queue? I know that I looked at the two titles I ordered (The Whoopee Boys and Some Kind of Hero), and they are available to Save, with the availability shown as Unknown.

What titles have you seen that Netflix started adding?

Bradley-E

Screenwriter

They are under "Save" when I add them. I noticed they had The Skull, Houdini, The One and Only, King of the Gypsies, Mandingo, Villa Rides, Phase IV, ZPG and Student Bodies. I've added to my Queue The Skull, Villa Rides, Phase IV, and King of the Gypsies.

William Miller

Second Unit
It has been reported on a few other message boards that isolated Target Stores have all of the new Legend/Paramount titles in stock for $9.99.

The one store that definitely has them is located in Dardenne Prairie, Missouri which is in the far western St. Louis area. The person who reported he found them had to post a copy of his Target sales receipt to prove that he bought Houdini there because nobody believed him.

I just went to the Target store in Florissant, Missouri which is located in the far northern St. Louis area. They did not have them.

Let the wild goose chases begin!

Random Hero

Second Unit
Real Name
Paul

Thanks for that info. I'll try to remember to look out for them if I happen to go to Target later this week. At least we know that whenever Target does carry these, they'll most likely be $9.99.

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan

A few more Paramount oddities from this era to add the Legend wishlist:
Deadhead Miles - written by Terrence Malick
Ladies and Gentlemen, the Fabulous Stains
American Hot Wax
Breaking Glass

Bradley-E

Screenwriter
Paramount has alot of titles that could be candidates for Legend; "some" of which have never seen the light of day on VHS, Shanks, T.R. Baskin, Fear is the Key, Firstborn, Such Good Friends, Skidoo, The Spirit is Willing, Project X, Tropic of Cancer, W.U.S.A., First Love, Citizen's Band, Little Fauss and Big Halsey, Fraternity Row, Red Line 7000, Don't Give Up the Ship, The Sad Sack, Compromising Positions, Coast To Coast, Love with the Proper Stranger, Plain Clothes, The Slender Thread, The Keep, The Dove, Maroc 7, The Mountain, Fighting Back, Joy of Sex, Badge 373, The Friends of Eddie Coyle, Lucy Gallant, Let's Dance, Bloodline, Players, Sunburn, Ash Wednesday, The Bliss of Miss Blossom, Once is Not Enough etc. It will be interesting if any of these get released on Legend or perhaps Criterion.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
To answer an above question, it took three days for the care package from Legend Films to get me. Less time than it has taken me to watch the films. Again, I am very happy with the transfers.

There are a lot of Paramount films that need some sort of DVD release. I hope that the relationship continues with Legend or at least the sales of these DVD's are enough for Paramount to open it's Melrose gates and release them themselves.

Hey Columbia and Universal, are you watching this!

Jeffrey:K

Second Unit
I'll add The Apprenticeship of Duddy Kravitz to the wish list ...

... and since the bulk of Legend's sales are likely to be online, surely they should be able to press and sell the Nigger Charley films without having to deal with skittish brick-and-mortar retailers.

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan

Lots of good ones on here, Bradley. I'll strongly second Eddie Coyle, Firstborn, Love With the Proper Stranger, and Citizen's Band (aka Handle With Care). Little Fauss and Big Halsy is of interest as evidence of Michael J. Pollard's brief stardom and for the sight of a nude Lauren Hutton crashing a motorcycle race. Votes for The Keep, Tropic of Cancer, Such Good Friends, Skidoo, and Fighting Back. Most of these seem to be Legend material. Eddie Coyle could be a Criterion.

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan

Good call on Duddy Kravitz. They are doing Mandingo so why not the Nigger Charley films. Hopefully, MGM/Fox will do right and put out Drum, if they still have the rights.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks