What's new

Hell Just Froze Over.... (1 Viewer)

Bradley-E

Screenwriter

I almost could see Citizen's Band as a Criterion title because of the cast and Jonathan Demme; ditto The Keep because of Michael Mann. This is all encouraging because maybe some very obscure films may come out of hiding. There are many Paramount films that have never even been on VHS and it looks like they are making it to DVD. I never remember seeing Won Ton Ton, Rhubarb, The Busy Body, Villa Rides on VHS.

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan

It is great to see so many movies that never even appeared on VHS come to DVD. You're right that the Demme and Mann pedigree might move those titles into Criterion territory. I would love to see Citizen's Band get the deluxe treatment. I could be wrong, but I think there may have been some music substitutions on the VHS, which came with the title Citizen's Band. Is this Demme's preferred title, or is it Handle With Care?

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
I'm waiting for the other retailers to offer them, but when they do, I'll definitely be picking up:

PHASE IV
THE MAN WHO COULD CHEAT DEATH
THE SKULL
THE POSSESSION OF JOEL DELANEY

--and probably RHUBARB and THE SENDER, too.

My Paramount/Legend wish list:

CRACK IN THE WORLD (1965)
TARZAN'S GREATEST ADVENTURE (1959, if this isn't WB property now)
TARZAN THE MAGNIFICENT (1960, ditto)
MONTE WALSH (1970, if Criterion doesn't get it)
FRIENDS OF EDDIE COYLE (1973, ditto)
DARK CITY (1950, ditto)
UNION STATION (1950, ditto)
THE BLISS OF MRS. BLOSSOM (1968)
DR. TERROR'S HOUSE OF HORRORS (1965)
THE COLOSSUS OF NEW YORK (1958)
SPACE CHILDREN (1958)
FRAULEIN DOKTOR (1969)
UNMAN, WITTERING & ZIGO (1971)
BLOOD & ROSES (1960)
DARKER THAN AMBER (1970)
FEAR IS THE KEY (1972)
HELL’S ISLAND (1955)
ONLY WHEN I LARF (1968)
PROJECT X (1968)
SHANKS (1974)
'GATOR BAIT (1974)
THE KLANSMAN (1974)
HANNIE CAULDER (1971)
INNOCENT BYSTANDERS (1972)
MAN ON A SWING (1974)
THE DEVIL’S HAIRPIN (1957)
MARACAIBO (1958)
THE PSYCHOPATH (1966)
TALES THAT WITNESS MADNESS (1973)
THE SWINGER (1966)
THE OMEGANS (1968)

--also these, if they've fallen into Paramount's possession (or do they belong to WB, or perhaps another studio?):

DADDY’S GONE A-HUNTING (1969)
FIGURES IN A LANDSCAPE (1970)
THE TODD KILLINGS (1971)
EL CONDOR (1970)
HIRED KILLER (1967)
TWISTED NERVE (1968)

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
A lot of great titles that I would definitely buy have been mentioned here, but my most wanted Paramount title has not - Looking for Mr. Goodbar.

CineKarine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Karine Philippot
All I ask from Paramount/Legend are 8 films - some very long-shots in there though ;) :

Mr. Music (50) - a fun Crosby feel-good musical with many guest stars
Let's Dance (50) - Astaire and Betty Hutton
Dark City (50) - Heston's first - great noir film
Knock on Wood (53) - Probably one THE greatest comedies ever made except that few people know it since it's been absolutely nowhere to see for ages!
About Mrs. Leslie (54) - superb offbeat romance, works better for me than The African Queen actually.
Three Ring Circus (54) - One of my favorite Martin & Lewis films.
The Rat Race (60) - a great drama with Curtis & Reynolds
Who's Been Sleeping in My Bed (63) - cute comedy with Dino and Elizabeth Montgomery

Are the 1949 films with Universal or Paramount???

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I've always wanted to see that ever since catching a few minutes in the middle on TCM (or some other cable channel). I never got to see it complete though and it looked hilarious. I'd have no problem buying any Danny Kaye film at all. Among my favorite actors of all time.

I'm sure it'll get released someday soon.

*knocks on wood*

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
How about those "guilty pleasure" Preminger films.... HURRY SUNDOWN, SKIDOO, TELL ME THAT YOU LOVE ME JUNIE MOON, SUCH GOOD FRIENDS?

Bob Graham

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Graham

I'm definitely with you, Jon. DEEP END is a neglected masterpiece, far ahead of its time. A Criterion release would be great, but I'd settle for one from Legend.

Random Hero

Second Unit
Real Name
Paul
I just wanted to shoot a quick post into here to add my praise to the pile that Legend Films has been receiving.

I ordered 2 DVDs from them early Tuesday morning, and they arrived today! I have my DVDs a little over 48 hours after ordering them! Considering that Tuesday was Tax Day and a very busy mail day, that's amazing!

For anyone wondering about the shipping of these DVDs, they arrived in a white protective cardboard packaging, and were sent via USPS Priority Mail, the same day I ordered. It looks like they have a great system, handling shipping labels and taking orders through PayPal. So, for anyone that has issues with the shipping costing $4.95 + $2.95 each additional title, just know that you are certainly getting your money's worth. It's not like they are charging you that and then shipping them USPS Media Mail.

I haven't watched the DVDs (Whoopee Boys / Some Kind of Hero) yet, of course, but if anyone's interested, I'll be happy to share my thoughts on them whenever I get around to it. I don't know if anyone was wondering about those titles.

I'm seriously impressed with the wonderful service from Legend Films! If anyone from there reads this thread, I'd like to say thank you. I'm going to look over the list of titles again, and see about ordering some more in the near future. After this great service, I'd be happy to spend a few more dollars and give my money directly to them and have the DVDs well before the regular retail dates in June.

Also, I have a few questions for everyone here. I haven't seen Student Bodies (well, I probably have, but I don't remember), but I know a lot of people seem to enjoy it. Are there any similar horror-comedies that it could be compared to, so that I could get an idea as to the type of humor and such is in the movie? It sounds like a fun, cheesy movie, and I might want to order it.

Also, about The One and Only: I'm pretty sure I've seen this movie, but I want to make sure. If it's the one I'm thinking of, I'll probably order it in the future. Are there some scenes like this, that I remember, in the movie (spoilers below)?

A scene where Henry Winkler is sneaking into bed late at night, covered in cuts and bruises, trying not to wake up his wife.

A scene where Henry Winkler plays this flamboyant "Gorgeous George" type of wrestler, and if I'm not mistaken, wins the World Championship. I think this scene was near the end, if this is the movie I'm thinking of. Also, did Winkler have different wrestling characters that he played? For some reason, I seem to remember him also playing a soldier or a Nazi character or something.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
I haven't seen TOAO in almost 30 years, but I remember the Winler character is a take off on Gorgeous George...and those two scenes you mention sound highly plausible being in the film. I seem to recall the character being hired to play various 'bad guys' in a bunch of wrestling bouts until stumbling upon the Gorgeous George persona which strikes a chord with audience. I remember really enjoying the film as a kid and can't wait to see it again. If money wasn't tight at the moment I wouldn't wait to order it.

Random Hero

Second Unit
Real Name
Paul

Great! It does indeed sound like the movie that I remember seeing. I remember Winkler playing different bad guy characters, and then the crowd goes nuts for the Gorgeous George character he plays later on.

Looks like I'll be adding something to my online shopping list when I can afford it. :)

Bradley-E

Screenwriter

I believe when it was on VHS Paramount released it as Citizen's Band; It could be a music rights issue which is still holding up a DVD release of Looking For Mr. Goodbar.

Bradley-E

Screenwriter

Question; is the Moonlighting you have listed in your wanted Region DVD's the Jeremy Irons films? If so, it is available now in the U.S. Trinity Home Entertainment released it and it is supposed to be Anamorphic. I'm not sure how the PQ is, I actually ordered it this week from DVD Pacific for the ridiculously low price. It is on its way to me.

JeffMc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
jeffmc

I know Trinity put this title out a while back, but every Trinity title I've ever seen is a boot-transfer right off the old VHS tape release or maybe the laserdisc. Every single Trinity release looks like crap. I don't believe Trinity is a legit company anyway - they're not as big a bootleg operation as Jef Films is, but I suppose they are trying to get there. That's a good goal for them. I wish them luck. Let us know how your Trinity MOONLIGHTING dvd turns out to look like when you get it.

As far as THE ONE AND ONLY goes - come on, people, exactly how many movies do you think Henry Winkler played a wrestler in? It's pretty easy to figure out that one. OK, I know he got all gussied up and 'jumped a shark' as Fonzie in his swim shorts at one time and I suppose he kind of looked like a femme wrestler in that so I guess that may have led to all the confusion here. But no, THE ONE AND ONLY is Henry's only wrestling movie. Universal is also releasing "HEROES" (Winkler, Sally Field) on DVD soon as well - hopefully they cleared the song "Carry On My Wayward Son" this time. Henry does not play a wrestler in this one, but there was a Kansas song in it always missing when released on video.

CineKarine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Karine Philippot
It took just 48 hours for me to get Houdini and Money from Home from Legend - great service to Canada as well. Cannot wait to watch the films now :)

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan

Yes, it's the Jeremy Irons film. As I understood it the Trinity was not anamorphic so I kept in on my most wanted list. I also was not sure about the legitimacy of the Trinity release. This was released by Universal Classics and my old laserdisc is from MCA. I assumed Universal still held the rights. Please let us know what the Trinity disc looks like. How much was it, BTW?

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan

Did not know Heroes was coming. Very curious to know if "Carry On My Wayward Son" is finally included. Was the song not included in the earliest video incarnation as was the case with other MCA/Universal titles, such as Nighthawks and The Thing, that were later "re-scored"?

Is Uni going to release Heroes widescreen or will they pull a Charley Varrick/Forbin Project?

Random Hero

Second Unit
Real Name
Paul

True. :)

Actually, I asked about the movie because I seem to remember a movie with a similar plot, featuring an actor with a similar build to Winkler. If I remember correctly, it was about a guy who took a job as a pro wrestler and was trying to hide it from his family.

The only parts of The One and Only I remembered with some certainty were the parts I asked about. That's mainly what helped me identify the movie as The One and Only.

Now I'm wondering what the other movie I'm thinking of was. Now that I think more about it, it might have been a British or French film. Anyway, I'm glad that the movie I remembered was The One and Only. Should be fun to watch it again whenever I can afford to order it.

walter o

Supporting Actor

The Kansas tune was never in any incarnation of HEROES, not the VHS/Beta, nor the LD, and that was one of the very first LD titles ever released (back in 1980!). It was on all syndicated prints of HEROES up until about the late 80's.

The VHS/Beta tapes replaced it with some rock song called WE ALL NEED HEROES, while the LD replaced it with a more appropriate mood music from the film.

Jay E

Senior HTF Member

For those of you who have a multi-region player, Moonlighting is available in a very nice anamorphic transfer from Australia.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks