What's new

Boot Camp - Official Apple support for Windows XP/OS X dual boot (1 Viewer)

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
Check the stock prices. :D I think Leopard will definitely help for switchers. Run XP apps in OS X VMWare while keeping OS X alive. Over time you will find yourself using "Windows" and the apps less and less and less until it's rare. I don't use a single "Classic" app and haven't for a couple of years now.

and

Buy a Mac now because it can run both. When XP craps out or is full of Virii and you don't know what to do you end up running OS X for everything because you're too lazy or dumb to fix it.

Tekara

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
Now we just wait for apple to get off it's high horse and allow osx to run on non-mac x86 hardware. That way folks can buy an inexpensive computer and put a nice os on it.

But then again, osx is just another flavor of *nix.

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton

If you really believe that Mac OS X is no more desirable than Linux, there are plenty of distributions of Linux already available for x86 PCs.

Have at it!

Tekara

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
Already done, I'm an avid user of linux on all of my personal computers, even my laptop. :)

Nevertheless though, I would still like to see osx allowed to be operated on non-mac hardware. Mostly because it is probably the only os that can truely compete with windows. I'm a big fan of open competition as the consumer always comes out ahead . Linux is nice, and I personally like it, but it is just not friendly enough that I could leave it with the parents.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Smartest decision they could have made to be hardware competitors. This puts their Intel line closer to direct competition with Dell and HP. If they ever decide to offer an option for dual boot with both OSes installed out of the box, then Apple will be a real competitor again.

While for the past two years I have used Windows, Mac OS X, and Solaris all quite frequently, I'm always going to be a die hard Windows fan for my own home PC. I'm really happy with my Dell Inspiron 9100 laptop right now (though it's not very portable - there's a reason they stopped putting P4's in laptops;)) But in a couple years if I'm in the market for a desktop, getting rid of the tower (ie. iMac) might be quite attractive from a hardware standpoint. Then again, the one thing I miss with my laptop from my old desktop is tooling around inside case. The big plus of the Apple concept - a whole package deal - is also the downside. I might miss just running down to CompUSA and buying a new component to pop into a PCI slot when I need one.

Bob_L

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Lindstrom
I'm surprised no one has mentioned what, for me, is one of the most compelling by-products of Boot Camp: the Intel-based Mac Mini's can now run Windows-based HTPC software like Beyond TV and Meedio.

Mac faithfuls may still find value in FrontRow, which is a fine little program but simply doesn't offer the same level of functionality of the best Windows-based (or even Linux-based) HTPC packages.

Combine the HIGHLY desirable form factor and functionality of the Mac Mini (one of Apple's most cost-effective hardware offerings ever) with one of those Windows media programs and you have a superb HTPC platform, IMO. The limitations are the 80Gb drive offered with the Mini and, of course, the lack of TV/DVR functionality at this point, which may still be a possiblility with an external USB tuner. (And, of course, external USB HDs could also solve the storage capacity issue but then you start to get a rat's nest of wired gadgets that begin to defeat the convenience of the form factor.)

I wish I had a spare $1000 to get Mini and tuner and play around with this. Sigh...

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member

Actually the maximum internal drive capacity is 120GB. (I just got a built to order Mini with that size drive).

As far as creating a rat's nest -- that really needn't happen either -- there are two products out there with up to 500GB drive capacity, that are specifically made for the Mini, fitting it seamlessly as a base, and also provide you with extra Firewire and USB ports. Here is one example, but at least one other company makes them as well.

So far as DVR functionality there are a couple of choices, but probably the best known is the El Gato EyeTV 500, which provides HDTV DVR functionality without having to pay a monthly fee as you would with Tivo, etc.

In any event, the Mini is quit the thing -- I got one to use, at least initially as a CD player replacement -- I intend to rib my entire CD collection to Apple Lossless format, and hook up the Mini to my receiver via optical digital audio out. I intend to use my PowerBook or other Mac as the remote control (via Net Tunes software, plus VNC when needed -- that way I can avoid switching on my TV, just to listen to music).

So even without Windows, the Mini can be I mighty useful (not to mention elegant) piece of A/V equipment.

Ted

Jason Adams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roger Jason Adams
Now, if apple will get around to coming out with the ibook's with the Intel processors, I will be all over it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks