What's new

Heartbreak (1 Viewer)

RobertCharlotte

Supporting Actor
I thought I'd really scored yesterday when I bagged what must surely be one of the last available Radio Shack 15-1994 remotes (for 20 bucks yet!). I'd read such good things about it here at HTF that I couldn't wait to get it home and put it to use.

Sadly, I couldn't get either of the AUX buttons to accept codes while trying to set them up to operate my Kenwood VR-507 receiver. Further reading online has even led me to believe that the 1994 simply won't work with my VR-507. This would make two remotes that aren't up to that task (the other being the Checkmate IV RT-U49C that came with my digital cable box).

Is the VR-507 immune to universal remotes, or what? Can anybody recommend a good universal remote with macro capabilities that will work with my receiver?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
YES. I don't know specifically about the combo of your specific situation, but in the manual for my prog. remote, it states that some codes from some remotes just cannot be learned. I know, that doesn't really help.

RobertCharlotte

Supporting Actor
Thanks, John! At least there is some comfort in knowing I'm not alone.

I wonder if the VR-509's snazzy new remote will control the 507 (since as I understand it, that's just about the only difference between them).

Ralph Summa

Supporting Actor
Robert,
Does the 507 receive RF signals only? I know that when I was looking at the Kenwood 509 and 510 receivers, one of them had an universal remote but the receiver signals were RF. I balked on that receiver for that specific reason. I'm really happy using only one remote, and didn't want another one. Checked Kenwood's website and Crutchfield but could not find out more. If this is the case, you may be out of luck with any universal remote.
Check out Remote Central for additional help. This thread is for One4All/Radio Shack remotes. Search for people with similar problems. Very helpful site.
Good Luck.
Ralph

RobertCharlotte

Supporting Actor
The 507 uses ordinary infrared, not RF, but your point is well taken, Ralph. I see from the Kenwood site that the 509 uses an RF remote, so I guess that's not an option for me.

John_E

Stunt Coordinator
I have the VR-509, and the remote works by both RF & IR. I use it to control my TV, Cable Box, DVD, CD, & VCR. So, I would imagine that it would work with the 507, but I cannot confirm that. If it works, I would highly recommend it as a one-for-all remote.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks