What's new

Tom Petty (1 Viewer)

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Big fan of Tom Petty.

I remember buying Full Moon when it first came out, as well as the Traveling Willbury's, but did not own any of his early stuff. I just knew of some of the widely played songs on the radio classic stations. Back in the early 2000's when BestBuy was a place to go for new DVD releases on Tuesdays, I noticed a $10 sale on several music concerts on DVD, so I picked a few up. Tom Petty "Runnin Down a Dream" was one of them. However, it was probably 10 years before I brought it down from the shelf for a look see. I thought it was just a concert, but it included the 4-hour documentary. I was mesmerized by the documentary. After that I bought all the Tom Petty CDs available at the time.

I did not realize until now that these various special releases had come out. I guess i have more Tom Petty to pick up after all. Thanks for posting.

I noticed that the doc is now on blu-ray, is it worth upgrading over the DVD, does it contain the concert? Also, I now see three special sets being available, Filmore, Wildflowers, and American Treasure. I'll definitely get Fillmore for all the live and various covers. Thinking about Wildflowers for the additional songs but what about American Treasure? Is American Treasure worth it for one who has all the other single album CDs?

Last edited:

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Big fan of Tom Petty.

I remember buying Full Moon when it first came out, as well as the Traveling Willbury's, but did not own any of his early stuff. I just knew of some of the widely played songs on the radio classic stations. Back in the early 2000's when BestBuy was a place to go for new DVD releases on Tuesdays, I noticed a $10 sale on several music concerts on DVD, so I picked a few up. Tom Petty "Runnin Down a Dream" was one of them. However, it was probably 10 years before I brought it down from the shelf for a look see. I thought it was just a concert, but it included the 4-hour documentary. I was mesmerized by the documentary. After that I bought all the Tom Petty CDs available at the time.

I did not realize until now that these various special releases had come out. I guess i have more Tom Petty to pick up after all. Thanks for posting.

I noticed that the doc is now on blu-ray, is it worth upgrading over the DVD, does it contain the concert? Also, I now see three special sets being available, Filmore, Wildflowers, and American Treasure. I'll definitely get Fillmore for all the live and various covers. Thinking about Wildflowers for the additional songs but what about American Treasure? Is American Treasure worth it for one who has all the other single album CDs?

I bought national treasure 4 disc set, wildflowers 2 disc set and Angel Dream. I liked some of them but found the 4 discs set quite a bit to listen to.

I don’t have any live albums by Tom Petty and the heartbreakers. I have heard the anthology one and I liked it.

I have interest in the filmore album.

I also don’t have any concert films by petty. I did enjoy the documentary. I’m not sure if the Blu-ray has the full concert.

Tom’s death was so shocking and I miss his new studio albums. I hardly ever buy any new studio albums these days…

Mainly reissues (like this new Filmore release) and soundtracks are about all I buy now.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I don’t think the BD of Running Down A Dream has the concert or soundtrack discs - just the documentary. For that reason, I never upgraded my DVD. I watch the concert much more frequently than the doc.

If you don’t have any live Petty discs, I really, truly love the 1999 DVD release “High Grass Dogs.” I’ll get the negative out of the way first - it’s 4x3 letterboxed, so on a modern 16x9 TV, it doesn’t look all that good. (It does sound terrific - includes both 2.0 PCM and 5.1 Dolby soundtracks that hold up well and sound killer when played loud.) But the less than perfect video quality doesn’t matter in the slightest because the performances are incredible. As great as Ron Blair is, Howie Epstein on bass and backing vocals is just incredible - the way Howie’s voice blends with Tom’s, especially on “Walls” and “Angel Dream” is just so beautiful. There’s an acoustic mini set in the middle of the show with a joyous “Even The Losers,” stunning “Walls,” achingly beautiful “Angel Dream,” and hauntingly melancholic “Room at the Top” that, taken together, are my favorite four song sequence on any Petty recording I own. I can’t recommend that disc highly enough.

I have the Wildflowers five CD super deluxe version that I think was only available from the official Petty website - Wildflowers is my favorite album of his so that was an easy decision. But I actually have only listened to the live CD in the set (which is f***ing amazing and every Petty fan should hear it). I just can’t bring myself to listen to the rest yet. I know this is gonna sound silly but Petty’s death really stunned me and the idea that he’s not making any more music is, well, heartbreaking. That there are more songs from the recording sessions of my favorite album of his, that’s an amazing thing. But I don’t want to listen just yet, because once I’ve heard them, that’s it - no more new songs. So I am just saving them for a rainy day or a moment in my life when I need something to pick me up. As long as I don’t listen to it, there are still new Tom Petty songs I’ve never heard before. I’m not ready to not have new songs from him.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Yes, Tom Petty is greatly missed, and it was so sudden.

I have most of the studio albums on CD, as well as three concert videos, Gainesville, Sound Stage, and High Grass Dogs. I got HGD used, back in 2020, since it goes for so much new. I guess I didn't expect anything new to come up, so wasn't paying attention. That said, with all the new super deluxe CD sets, high-definition remixes on blu-ray, and concert videos from the past resurfacing, maybe I should have. Which also gives us hope that they will keep going through the archives finding more new content to bring to us of Tom Petty. I am partial to concert videos as well as blu-ray mixes. I'll probably start with Live at Fillmore, then the super deluxe version of Wildflowers and take a wait and see approach on the tribute set.

As a big Moody Blues fan as well, I've picked up most of their concert videos. However, they were always from the later stages of their career. Until someone located film elements for the 1970 concert at the Isle of Wright Festival and put it out on blu-ray. It was amazing seeing them perform in their youth. Possibly, someone will dig up film elements of early Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers to put out for all to enjoy.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I do hope High Grass Dogs gets an upgrade one day - the performances were shot on film rather than video, so if the elements still exist somewhere, they could redo it as a killer Blu-ray.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I’m going to listen through An American Treasure 4 disc set this week….

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I’m going to listen through An American Treasure 4 disc set this week….
Listened to discs 1-3 again yesterday. Lots of great stuff. Alternates and live performances really stood out to me. I enjoyed it and will get to the fourth disc lasted in the week.

Mikael Soderholm

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mikael Söderholm
Big fan of Tom Petty.

Much like your story, he was something that was always there, but I was never a great fan. Got the Greatest Hits, and had the fortune to see him i Stockholm, must have been like ten years ago, a super show, never knew they rocked so hard live.
But inspired by you, I picked up Runnin' down a Dream on Discogs just this weekend, and saw the whole documentary last night.
Wow, that was awesome! Surprisingly, the concert was not as god as the doc, they did not have the spark i saw in Stockholm, but still cool, so thanks for the tip.
And why did he play Into The Great Wide Open live so seldom? Before the Stockholm show, I told a friend, if he just comes out and plays that, and then leaves, I'm still happy. Obviously, he played a great two hour show, but no Great Wide Open.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks