What's new

Volume discontinuity mystery (1 Viewer)

bradcb

Auditioning
Real Name
Brad
Hi there! I'm a beginner cobbling together a frankensystem, and I have hit a dead end trying to troubleshoot an odd behavior: The volume knob on my receiver seems to have no effect on the volume I hear, except it "snaps" to a new level at a few key points:
  • -∞ (min): No sound from speakers
  • -99dB to -21dB: Uniformly too quiet
  • -20dB to 0 dB (max): Uniformly too loud!
When I refer to volume positions from -∞ to 0dB, those are values displayed on the receiver's screen as I turn the main volume knob.

Did I do something wrong, or is my receiver broken? Normally I'd assume the receiver is broken, but I'm attempting kind of a weird setup so I wanted another opinion. Details follow.

I'm using a Kenwood VR-505 Audio Video Surround Receiver (Manual). It's wired up to:
  • A pair of Bose 901 Series IV speakers (Manual) wired to the front right and left channels.
  • A turntable with a Pyle preamp (PP444) wired to the AUX input
  • A 1Mii bluetooth receiver (B06+) wired to the CD/DVD input.
  • (Sometimes) The 901s' active EQ, wired to the VIDEO 2/MONITOR out/in.
Prior to the current setup, I had the turntable and 901s wired to a Yamaha R-N303BL. I wasn't using the preamp because the receiver had one built in, and I wasn't using the EQ because the receiver had no tape loop or preamp loop. I had no issues playing the turntable or bluetooth except that the 901s are muddy without their EQ. I was gifted the Kenwood used and thought I'd try to get the EQ working with it.

Observations I've made on the new setup:

Playback from bluetooth, with EQ: I set the input to CD/DVD, change the input mode to ANALOG, and turn on the MONITOR function. It's quite loud, but the sound quality is definitely improved - I can tell the EQ is doing its job. The odd behavior of the receiver's volume knob is as described above, except that it's quite loud (without changing) from -99dB to -21dB and jumps to painful at -20dB. Changing the volume from my phone works - that is, it seems to affect the signal from the bluetooth receiver to the amplifier.

Playback from turntable, with EQ: I set the input to AUX and turn on the MONITOR function. Even at the -99dB position, setting the needle on the edge of the record generates a hiss loud enough to be uncomfortable. I'm not willing to test the -20dB position.

Playback from bluetooth, without EQ: That is, I've entirely unplugged the EQ from the system. I set the input to CD/DVD, change the input mode to ANALOG, disengage MONITOR. Similar behavior to bluetooth with EQ but everything is quieter (and not EQ'd).

Playback from turntable, without EQ: Up to -21dB it's almost too quiet to hear; at -20dB it snaps to a reasonable volume.

So at this point I'm confident that it's not the turntable, not the speakers themselves, not the EQ (although I'm not sure I'm using it right), and I don't think it's the preamp or the bluetooth device since I'm seeing the same odd behavior for both inputs. I haven't found a description of this behavior in any manuals or anywhere online. Does anyone have a guess about what could be going on?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks