What's new

head to head tourney - Joel & Ethan Coen vs. the HTF (1 Viewer)

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Blood Simple
Only a mid range Coen, but more than enough.
FWIW, and to show I'm being fair, I would have voted for The Godfather in the last round.

Jan H

Senior HTF Member
What madness is this?? Look, I love Lebowski, but that voting was beyond absurd. Wish I'd looked in on this tourney sooner (though it clearly wouldn't have mattered).
Anyway,
Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring gets my vote, and easily too. No knock against Blood Simple, though, which is excellent.
BTW, Rob, glad LOTR is growing on you. You should check out the Extended Edition, it makes the film even that much better. And I highly recommend seeing the TT in a big theater. I saw at the Ontario Mills last night and I feel it's the equal of FOTR, in some ways surpassing it and in some ways lacking (but that's a topic for another thread) :)

Brian Lawrence

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
What madness is this?? Look, I love Lebowski, but that voting was beyond absurd.
Not absurd at all, The better film won.

While I don't think The Godfather is a bad film, I do feel it sits along side Shawshank Redemption, Fellowship of the Ring & Full Metal Jacket, as one of the most overrated films in cinema history.

Jan H

Senior HTF Member
Agree with your opinion on Shawshank, Brian, and I think you should be sent there for your opinions on the other three! :D

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Actually Brian, I agree with you on all of them except The Godfather, though I sure understand people getting sick of it's domination here. I would hope for a little more parity in opinions.

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
Agree with your opinion on Shawshank, Brian, and I think you should be sent there for your opinions on the other three!
:laugh:
Jan-
Thanks for the heads up re TT. FOTR has now grown on me enough that I would like to make the effort to see TT on the big screen!
We could have used you on that Lebowski vs. Godfather catastrophe!

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
LOTR: FOTR
Blood Simple is a very good film, and marked the beginning of a great filmmaking career, and made me a Coen fan as soon as I saw it in the theater when it was released, but it doesn't hold the rich "magic" for me that LOTR has. I can watch LOTR 50 times in a row and not get tired of it, find something new to marvel at with each viewing, be completely swept away by the story and everything else (characters, costumes, locations, sets). It's *new* to me every single time I watch it.

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
Blood Simple
Thanks for the opportunity to again mention that this film, as originally released, is not available on any home video format. :frowning:

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Blood Simple currently leads 7 - 6.

We could have another upset on our hands...

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
Could also just be a touch of senility.
We're all senile. Why are we sitting around watching moving picture shows, loving some of them, and hanging around forums talking about moving picture shows, when we could be doing something useful and constructive with our lives?

I don't apologise for the things I love, especially not when I'm living history and appreciating it in the moment.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks