What's new

HDMI/HDMI-DVI (1 Viewer)

Spottedfeather

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt
The back of my tv has an HDMI IN and HDMI IN (DVI) inputs. Would my flickering issues be due to using one or the other ? My receiver is connected by the HDMI IN (DVI) input. Would switching to the plain HDMI input make any difference ? I've heard that DVI can have a problem with audio....

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
That DVI simply means you can connect analog audio to the same input...

DVI never carried audio. So not sure where you "heard there was a problem".

Spottedfeather

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
No, you didn't read it wrong.(DVI never carried audio. There has never been "it varies")

CNet is staffed by fucking retards* that should be writing on toilet paper...with toilets within two steps.

*calling CNet "retards" is an insult to those who are differently abled. At least the differently abled have legit reasons...

Spottedfeather

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt
Would I get flickering where the audio will drop out for a couple of seconds or the video does the same (which is what's happening every now and then) if the tv is sent a 1080p or 1080p 24 signal when the tv is only 720p ? I heard that if you have certain appliances plugged in close by, that can cause it. I do have a small window air conditioner about a foot away from my receiver and player. Could this be causing the problem ? I can't really move the receiver.

Rick Shepherd

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rick
No, you didn't read it wrong.(DVI never carried audio. There has never been "it varies")

Not quite right - I have a PC with DVI out connected to a DVI-HDMI adapter and then to a TV - this carries audio and video.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
From Wikipedia:

A DVI-D source can output HDMI signals including audio (e.g. ATI 3000-series and NVIDIA GTX 200-series).[9] Some multimedia displays use a DVI to HDMI adapter to input the HDMI signal with audio. Exact capabilities vary by video card specifications.
I think this only applies to the PC market, not consumer electronics such as TVs, Bluray players and receivers.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Spottedfeather said:
Would I get flickering where the audio will drop out for a couple of seconds or the video does the same (which is what's happening every now and then) if the tv is sent a 1080p or 1080p 24 signal when the tv is only 720p ? I heard that if you have certain appliances plugged in close by, that can cause it. I do have a small window air conditioner about a foot away from my receiver and player. Could this be causing the problem ? I can't really move the receiver.
Try a UPS with pure sine wave. I doubt the AC is causing an issue, but...it could be back feeding electrical interference. Basically the same effect if you ran a vacuum on the same circuit.

Spottedfeather

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt
I get that with this little coffee grinder. I use it to grind up some herbs for medicine for my dog. When I turn it on, the tv will jutter then go black until I shut the grinder off.

What's a UPS ?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Uninterruptable Power Supply

Otherwise known as...battery backup.

Pure Sine Wave is an additional feature built into UPS for power conditioning purposes.

Spottedfeather

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt
What's a good one ? 200 dollars is a bit much. Is there anything that I can do that doesn't require a lot of money ?

Spottedfeather

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt
and if EMI is the problem, this will help ? I've never used one of these things before. How does it work exactly ?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks