What's new

HDMI, component video, and DD 5.1 audio problems (1 Viewer)

orestes

Second Unit
Real Name
Orestes
I am planning to buy an XBOX 360, but I found out that its output is one of those HDMI for HDTV.
I have a HDTV set, but it only accepts component video cables. Thus, how am I supposed to connect these things together?
By the way, my understanding is the HDMI also carries the audio for this system; then, how am I to connect to my AV receiver to listen to the DD 5.1 audio?
Does anyone know how to solve these two problems? Thanks.

orestes

John S

Senior HTF Member
Pretty sure the newest crop of AVR's are taking HDMI input, you may need to find a scaler to get component video from it though. Not sure, I mean is HDCP rare'n it's ugly head for you already perhaps?

I'm not a gamer, but interested in solutions for this because I am sure I will run into somebody soon who actually wants me to hook one up.

orestes

Second Unit
Real Name
Orestes
Well thanks for you answer, but I am not about to buy another AV Receiver just to accommodate the XBOX 360 or a newer DVD player for that matter.

I don't have that kind of money to buy a new HDTV or new AV Receiver every time Sony or Microsoft, or Toshiba decides to change these type of connections.

I am looking for a simple solution to my problem like an adaptor which should not cost more than $100.

It is getting kind of ridiculous that every few months some company comes out with these stupid formats to make everything obsolete.

Thanks,
orestes

MikeUp

Agent
The XBox 360 will come standard with analog composite outputs. According to the manual, the following are available as optional peripherals:

Advanced AV pack - S-video and digital audio adapter
Hi-Def AV pack - component video and digital audio adapter

There was talk of HDMI being supported in the future, but as of now it is not. At any rate, you can buy the hi-def pack and connect to via component outputs to your HDTV.

The full specs, as well as the manual, are available at Xbox.com under the "Hardware" tab.

orestes

Second Unit
Real Name
Orestes
I don't plan to buy it until later when BG decides to have the XBOX 360 with either HD-DVD or Blu-Ray. I am thinking that when that happens the XBOX 360 will not have any other options than HDMI. Then, what do I do? Is there any way to convert HDMI to component video and optical audio output?

Also if/when HD-dvd or blu-ray comes to market, I will want to know the path from HDMI to component video and digital audio conversion since it is out of the question for me to buy an new AV receiver and other HDTV set just because toshiba or sony do not offer a flexible options. I want to be ready when that comes.

Thanks,
orestes

John S

Senior HTF Member
Only support HDMI? I was told the other day, that the device may end up being a way around HDCP for us people who do not have DVI/HDMI, allowing an HD-DVD to display out the component video. I have not looked into it, but this guy was telling me there is an odd loop hole in the HDCP spec concerning gaming consoles.

If anybody knows anything along those lines, I'd love to know about it. I visited the east coast over this last weekend, and came across this guy that claimed to be an expert in HD Content, and you know most people that claim to be an expert at anything end up being full of it most times.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member

unlikely. If it's HDCP, you're not going to be seeing analog out in any kind of high definition.

John S

Senior HTF Member
I thought so too, he claimed the gamming consoles won't have HDCP incorporated at all and the disks will play.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks