HD demos anyone?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Steve Tannehill, Feb 18, 2001.

1. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill Ambassador

Steve Tannehill
    Do the broadcast HD channels in your area show high-definition demos?
    WFAA-HD, Channel 8/9 in Dallas, shows some incredible demo footage late nights and weekends. Right now there is an extended documentary on Mardi Gras. Last night, I saw a promo video for the 1999 Corvette, with some drop-jaw-and-drool scenery along Route 66. New videos get put in the loop on occasion...Texas Wild shows wildlife and scenery in Texas. They were showing a lighthouse documentary which I think was originally broadcast on PBS. There is even a documentary on the Women's Museum in Dallas, and on the construction/architecture of Dallas Fair Park (which didn't look all that great, but was a nice change of pace).
    The other HD channels in Dallas are either off the air or a mirror of SD programming. What do your broadcast channels do in their spare hours?
    - Steve

2. Judy Y

Judy Y Stunt Coordinator

I am in Frederick, MD, and I get all the DC stations very well. Digital channel 35 is SUPPOSED to be the sister to analog channel 20, WDCA. They are due to come on line in 2002!! However, I have seen some golf broadcast there, (widescreen but looked like an upconvert), with a logo that said "WHD" ?? Any other demos in DC area channels, folks?

3. Matthias W

Matthias W Auditioning

In the DC area, WETA HD (27-1) seems to cycle through the same material all day: An episode of Nova, a jazz festival, and people riding bicycles through a park. The Nova episode stands out. I haven't watched recently (this week) to see if additional material is broadcast.

4. Frank

Frank Stunt Coordinator

The CBS affiliate in Houston (KHOU) runs the same poor quality lame demo loop that they have been running for about a year. It looks like a 10th generation analog copy.
    Boy do they need some new material!
    ------------------
    Frank...
    Turn off the TV and read these books those in power DON'T want you to read...

5. VicRuiz

VicRuiz Second Unit

Here in NYC, one of the PBS stations (WNYE-DT) started broadcasting this week and they're running the same demo loop that's available on the PBS satellite feed. It runs about 2 1/2 hours and it's made up of several segments produced by different PBS stations around the country. It has some of the best HD pictures I've ever seen.
    ------------------
    Vic Ruiz
    STOP HDCP/DFAST/5C

6. Judy Y

Judy Y Stunt Coordinator

Yes, the PBS station locally runs from 11 am to 11 pm but it is the same program loop. We have a new one starting up tomorrow- the 19th, about Abraham Lincoln. I wonder, do ALL the PBS stations broadcasting digitally do this? (If so, check their websites, they may post program info as does WETA in DC....)

7. Robert G

Robert G Stunt Coordinator

Frank
    I am curious about which part of town you live in and how well you recieve the OTA content. I will be getting a new HD ready set(WS-65907 [​IMG] ) within two weeks and then the Dish 6000 a week or two after that. I live in Pasadena for now and will probably move to Deer Park or Clear Lake in a year or two. Anyway, I was wondering if I was going to need a new antenna. Currently I have an el cheapo in the attic that was part of my original Dish Network package. Thanks.
    ------------------

8. Frank

Frank Stunt Coordinator

Hi Robert,
    I am able to receive all of the Houston digital channels with a cheap double bow tie Radio Shack indoor antenna.
    I live in the Spring Branch area of Houston. The antenna is in an upstairs bedroom pointed out a sliding glass door.
    ------------------
    Frank...
    Turn off the TV and read these books those in power DON'T want you to read...

9. Robert G

Robert G Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Frank. I can receive the analog channels OK right now so I am hoping to be able to receive the digital channels as well. Channel 2 is not great right now but I get it OK most of the time.

10. DarrellP

DarrellP Stunt Coordinator

Here in the Portland, OR area our PBS and NBC show some incredible demo loops. They share several of the same loops, one of them is Evening Magazine shot in Alaska with HD cameras and is totally awesome. They do a segment on ice carving and another on eagles and I swear the eagles are sitting in my TV and I don't have a HD set!
    Occasionally I will hook up my computer monitor to the RGB output so I can oooh and aaah at the picture. My 4 year old loves to sit in my lap and watch with me. She says "It's just like looking through a window!". Can't wait to get a real set.
    ------------------
    "I want my HD Set"