What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

HBO Max HBO Max (Official Thread) (1 Viewer)

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I just bought a Roku earlier this year and was unwilling to buy a separate device just for HBO Max. Now that I can actually get at it, is there any original programming for the service from the last seven months that is worth going back to check out?

Don't know about last 7 months, but there's always their current run on His Dark Materials, which is in its 2nd season.

I assume you've already seen (or maybe owned from recent BF sales?) the Watchmen miniseries since you specifically indicated last 7 months? IF not and such comic-based/inspired adaptations interest you, that's certainly worth checking out -- I'd argue this miniseries, which is actually a sequel of sorts, is actually better than the Zack Snyder movie unless you specifically/especially love Snyder's stylized approach that's missing here (more than nuanced substance and content... and perhaps greater originality).

I haven't checked out anything else new from the last half year yet, but of course, you know WW84 is coming... along w/ AT&T/Warner's controversial plans for 2021. And they are running some promo deals for new (re)activations -- I'm currently just doing a 2-month deal offered by my Chase Freedom Visa, instead of the broader 6-month offer.

I did finally catch the recent Emma. movie on HBO Max and was not impressed. It felt too anachronistic, whimsical and perhaps trying too hard to appeal to those millennials w/ very short attention spans or those simply wanting something different from most/all prior solid-to-excellent adaptations of such faire, not just Austen.

_Man_

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
BTW, did anyone else find HBO Max on Roku to perform a bit iffy so far?

I noticed some sporadic drop to very low rez (like VHS level) while watching Emma. yesterday. Same w/ the new(?) WW84 opening(?) scene trailer they put on there.

Didn't experience the same for a few episodes of His Dark Materials nor other streaming we did on Disney+ and CBS-All-Access... although those were all afterward later at night (to very late night).

Don't usually experience such quality drop w/ our setup -- and the Roku usually reports 60-80Mbps capacity when I check its performance test (on our ~230/11Mbps service per Speedtest.net).

_Man_

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I indicated 7 months because HBO Max launched 7 months ago and was unavailable to Roku users for that length of time.

Honestly, I don't really see much more that's worthwhile over just the plain HBO VOD service before the change, but that's partly because I already subscribe to the Criterion Channel, which overlaps for some classic content, and am not really a fan of all the DC stuff that don't make it to theatrical releases -- I do like some of the (older) animated Batman made-for-TV content, but I'd rather just own those for revisiting (much like w/ various other excellent HBO series), which are actually on sale right now...

His Dark Materials does seem worthwhile enough, if not necessarily a perfect adaptation (for serious fans of the novels).

There are, of course, a few other new or ongoing series and movies that you might consider worthwhile, but I haven't checked them out yet. The Flight Attendant seems to be the newest series (not counting His Dark Materials). And Stephen King's Outsiders is from earlier in the year. But none of these would've required HBO Max access instead of just regular HBO...

_Man_

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Honestly, I don't really see much more that's worthwhile over just the plain HBO VOD service before the change, but that's partly because I already subscribe to the Criterion Channel, which overlaps for some classic content, and am not really a fan of all the DC stuff that don't make it to theatrical releases -- I do like some of the (older) animated Batman made-for-TV content, but I'd rather just own those for revisiting (much like w/ various other excellent HBO series), which are actually on sale right now...

His Dark Materials does seem worthwhile enough, if not necessarily a perfect adaptation (for serious fans of the novels).

There are, of course, a few other new or ongoing series and movies that you might consider worthwhile, but I haven't checked them out yet. The Flight Attendant seems to be the newest series (not counting His Dark Materials). And Stephen King's Outsiders is from earlier in the year. But none of these would've required HBO Max access instead of just regular HBO...

_Man_
Would Warner Archive titles coming out on BD debut on HBO's VOD service? I don't think so. that is a thing I really love about HBO Max. Also, just in case I drop the Criterion Channel I have HBO Max which is free due to me having HBO with my DirecTV package.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Would Warner Archive titles coming out on BD debut on HBO's VOD service? I don't think so. that is a thing I really love about HBO Max. Also, just in case I drop the Criterion Channel I have HBO Max which is free due to me having HBO with my DirecTV package.
I just got HBO Max via Roku. I'm still trying to figure out their navigation. Where would the Warner Archive type of titles be located? Which grouping?

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Question: I loaded the HBO Max app on the Roku but can't figure out how to sign in within the app. All I see is a splash page with some of their offerings. I can search, but even if I click on something to watch, it doesn't redirect me to a sign in screen. What am I missing here?

Edit: Found it. Had to reload the app a few times but it finally came up.

Last edited:

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
The Flight Attendant is worth checking out. It’s a fun mystery and it’s been picked up for a second season. It’s based on the book of the same name, but I haven’t read it to know how closely it has followed the novel.

John*Wells

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Im going to cancel. its just not worth it to me No christmas Movies .. Besides, I have watched anything on it in 2 months

cda1143

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
I just got HBO Max via Roku. I'm still trying to figure out their navigation. Where would the Warner Archive type of titles be located? Which grouping?

As much as I love HBO Max for the movies (I never previously bothered with HBO), the navigation interface leaves much to be desired.

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
Didn't see this mentioned, if so excuse me....but HBO Max's 1-week free trial is no longer being offered. Probably the only major streamer without a free trial.

It's due to the Wonder Woman movie being offered on streaming & theatrical at the same time. But that's not surprising. People would sign up for the one movie/one week & then quit. HBO Max is offering a pre-paid 6 month discount though.

I thought about the 6-month deal, but based on the feedback here above, I might just do one month for right now.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Didn't see this mentioned, if so excuse me....but HBO Max's 1-week free trial is no longer being offered. Probably the only major streamer without a free trial.

It's due to the Wonder Woman movie being offered on streaming & theatrical at the same time. But that's not surprising. People would sign up for the one movie/one week & then quit. HBO Max is offering a pre-paid 6 month discount though.

I thought about the 6-month deal, but based on the feedback here above, I might just do one month for right now.
Didn’t Disney+ get rid of their free trial offer?

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

This is what we did about two weeks ago. Six months for $77 or something like that. I don’t regret it at all, considering Wonder Woman and everything else coming next year. Two adults going to the theater to see WW plus concessions would have come close to, if not exceeded, $50 by itself.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

IF you have a Chase Freedom Visa CC, they currently seem to be offering $10 back for 2 months of HBO Max, effectively making it $10/month for 2 months -- you do need to activate the offer online before using it and subscribe directly w/ HBO Max, not via some other aggregator or the like, eg. do it directly on HBO Max's app or site.

That's what I decided to do (though I did also get a 2-week free trial when I began a few weeks ago).

_Man_

Edotl

Auditioning
Real Name
Richard D. Goodkind
BTW, did anyone else find HBO Max on Roku to perform a bit iffy so far?

I noticed some sporadic drop to very low rez (like VHS level) while watching Emma. yesterday. Same w/ the new(?) WW84 opening(?) scene trailer they put on there.

Didn't experience the same for a few episodes of His Dark Materials nor other streaming we did on Disney+ and CBS-All-Access... although those were all afterward later at night (to very late night).

Don't usually experience such quality drop w/ our setup -- and the Roku usually reports 60-80Mbps capacity when I check its performance test (on our ~230/11Mbps service per Speedtest.net).

_Man_
Last night we started The Flight Attendant. Many times the show paused for buffering. Often when the show resumed the video resumed at a lower resolution.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunday Billy
Recent bookmarks