What's new

Have new 5.1 speakers. Need matching amp. (1 Viewer)

Don Ike

Auditioning
Had this post up a week or so ago, but the board seems to have lost all posts from then (server crash?).

Anyway, I've ordered our new HT speakers:
RBH 661LSE (Mains and Center)
RBH 66SE (Surrounds)
RBH 1010SEP (powered sub)

I've been assured that my current receiver won't drive these speakers adequately, so I'm looking into using an amp with a Yamaha 2400 receiver as the pre/pro.

Someone on this board previously gave me some nice suggestions on amps, and I've been looking into them as follows:

Rotel RMB-1095
5x200W, 2x1.2kVA transformers, 8x15kuf caps (120kuf total).

Sherbourn 5/5210
5 "monoblocks" x200W, each channel with a 400VA transformer & 2x10kuf caps (20kuf total per channel).

Parasound HCA-2205AT
5x220W, 2kVA transformer, 150kuf capacitance total.

Separately, I've been told that an amp should have a minimum 85db S/N ratio at 1W, and all these handle that.

My questions then become, how best to differentiate these amps? For HT, supposedly the monoblock architecture of the Sherbourn is not as good as the common power source of the other two - true? In any case, please let me know any experience or knowledge that you might have in regards to these amps, or if I should look into a different one altogether. As mentioned previously, we are new to high-end but we'd like to get an HT system that we can have for 20+ years if possible. Thanks in advance!

Steve Adams

Second Unit
I would definantly look at the rotel, b&k are nice too. hmmm, also look at NAD, they are very powerful from what I have heard, I auditioned a nad 5 channel receiver and the sound from them through b&w speakers was amazing. soooo clear. McIntosh is another. they are very well respected. for that matter classe are good, qsc and outlaw as well. hmmm best thing to do is audtion all available amps in your area, and see what suits your ears best. I know that when im ready to build my BIG ht, I will be running one of three systems, rotel, mcintosh or NAD. most likely it will be NAD because of the sound.....my 2cents worth.

Christopher_Ham

Stunt Coordinator
I would look at the ATI amps, you can get them up to 300w x 7 channels. Not only do I love the sound, they are built like tanks, and they quit possibly have the best customer service dept in audio. I had a problem with one of the internal amps and not only did they replace it with no questions asked, the service tech drove an hour to my house and fixed it here!!! I love this company.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks