Just bought 5.1 speakers (RBH). Need electronics to match.

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Don Ike, Oct 1, 2003.

1. Don Ike

Don Ike Auditioning

I finally did it, after months and months of listening and deliberation. We just ordered our 5.1 speaker system:

Left/Center/Right: RBH 661-LSE
    Surrounds: RBH 44SE
    Sub: RBH 1010SEP (350 Watt)

BTW total cost was about $5400 + shipping. We are new to high-end, but my intention is that we'll have these until we get carried out of our home feet first. They should arrive in about a month, but I've been assured that my Onkyo TS575x receiver will not adequately drive these speakers. If anyone is familiar with these speakers, do you have any suggestions on what electronics I should look at?

I'd like to keep it simple, so the wife (and kids as they get a little older) can use the system. So far, I've kind of been attracted to the Rotel RMB-1075 5-channel amp, which I thought I might mate to a mid-level receiver used in this case as a pre-amp/processor/tuner. (My Onkyo has no pre-outs). Does this sound like a good strategy?

I will try to get some home auditions of the electronics once the speakers arrive, so we can evaluate properly. But I'd like to have a short list developed beforehand so I don't drive the retailer crazy.

Any suggestions are welcome and greatly appreciated.

2. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll Supporting Actor

Rotel amps should mate nicely with the RBH speakers, but the RBH 661SE's are 4 ohms and might be a little too much for the RMB-1075. I would recommend stepping up to the RMB-1095 if you want to stay with Rotel. A few other 5 channel amps worth serious consideration in the sub $2K range are the Sherbourn 5/5210 and Parasound HCA-2205.

The new Yamaha receivers are getting some excellent reviews, particularly the RX-V1400 and RX-V2400. I use a Yamaha receiver with a Sherbourn amp to drive Paradigm Monitor speakers and it is a very nice combo. I think a similar set-up could sound very good with your RBH speakers.

3. Don Ike

Don Ike Auditioning

Thanks for the suggestions, and the confirmation that this type of setup (i.e. amp w/receiver) should work well.

I took a look at the amps you mentioned, and it seems of all of them (Rotel included), only the Sherbourn is really a "5 monoblock" design. That would seem to give it a leg up on the others, or is this not really critical?

Thanks again for the suggestions, I'm new at this as I said but I'm into learning about it and I'm having a lot of fun as well.

4. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll Supporting Actor

I'm biased, I demoed all 3 of those amps in my system and went with the Sherbourn 5/1500A (the previous model), partly because of the mono block design. However, I also felt the Sherbourn was the most neutral in my system and had the best bass control and response. However, if I hadn't heard the Sherbourn I would have been pretty happy with either the Parasound or the Rotel. All 3 sounded very good and it really was a matter of personal preference.

I recommend demoing all 3 (and any others you are interested in) in your own home and system, if at all possible. If it is a toss-up between the Sherbourn and another amp, then I would recommend the Sherbourn for the power supply. Otherwise, go with what sounds best in your system.

BTW, I racked my memory and recalled that the RBH speaks I heard were the 1266SE's. They were being driven by an Arcam integrated amp, but I don't recall what model. I do recall they sounded pretty damn good. [​IMG]