What's new

When is an AMP necessary? (1 Viewer)

Hey guys ::

Quick question from a moderate but learning HT enthusiast :) Currently I have -

Onkyo 601 receiver
Optimus 12" df'ring subwoofer
Polk Audio RM6005 Speaker System
Polk Audio CS2BK Center Speaker

I just got my receiver last winter, as I have been totally blown away from my previous receiver of which only had Pro Logic II :) Anyway my budget is small, and I've been living in apartments, as I am just finishing school, just got married and anticipate the day I( we :) ) will have a home where I can budget and buy HT equipment to my hearts content.

Anyway on with my question, I know my stuff is too "small" to need an amp, or is it ? When do you start getting into equipment that an amp is needed. This being receiver and speaker based.

Tonight I was reading a review on the Rotel RMB-1095, because I was curious in amps. Not only do amps provide needed amplified juice, but also create a crisp, and more detailed sound. But when are these monsters needed ?

Thanks guys

-Michael

JohnSmith

Supporting Actor
Your question should be "when is high output and high current ability amp necessary" the answer would if you meet one or more of the following points.

Your speakers have a low sensitivity
Your speakers have a low impedance
You have a large room
You listen to it loud
Your current amp cannot drive your existing speakers adequately, you notice at your existing level it sounds harsh and compressed, the amp gets very hot then shuts off.

The 1095 is a beast of a amp, but is quite a bit more expensive over the 1075, and in most cases the extra expense is not needed. IMO if you're looking at £2000 5ch poweramps there are better amps out there for similar money; you're looking into fairly upper end amps. You will not need a 1095 for your speaker system, a 1075 would be more than plenty (if fact the 60w Rotel's will probably do)

Be aware your amp needs Pre-outs for the 5 channels for you to add a poweramp. I know some of the lower end Onkyo's lack them (only on 6xx range they pop up?)

ChadLB

Screenwriter
No it doesn't have to jump up to the 700 or 800 models...
Why does Onkyo lack that when (almost) all other companies have entry level receivers with them...
HK230
Pioneer 914
Yamaha HTR 5760
Denon 2105

all can be found for under $500.....

JackS

Supporting Actor
I Like the use of an external amp with a receiver if only for the piece of mind that this addition brings. Sonics will automatically improve but it doesn't take an expensive high powered multi-channel for most applications. An inexpensive two channel (used) and any name brand will do. Save some money now and try this suggestion. The amp you buy can always be used in the future for surrounds if you decide to go with seperates. My opinion and others may be just as valid and differ.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Good amplification is always a benefit, but generally speaking, small satellites are not in need of stellar amplification because they are already limited in what they are capable of. In other words, pumping a lot of clean power into satellites is going to give you more clarity, but will also expose their limitations. To me, small satellites are specifically tailored to low power applications.

If your "old" receiver had PLII, then it couldn't have been that old, as PLII has only been around for about 2yrs and there are no receivers that have PLII only.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks