What's new

Has your SONY - FLICKER been serviced by Circuit City? (1 Viewer)

Jenna

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeanette Howard
On 3/7/02, I purchased a Sony 57" RPTV (KP57HW40) from Circuit City. I also purchased their extended warranty. Their written "Performance Guarantee" specifically states "IN-HOME SERVICE for larger TVs that are not easily transported".

My Sony is now exhibiting the "FLICKER" problem due to defective CRTs that were installed in this model (and others). See the following thread: http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...80#post1345990

I would like to know if ANY FORUM MEMBERS HAVE HAD THEIR SONY RPTVs WITH THIS FLICKER PROBLEM SERVICED BY CIRCUIT CITY and if so, were the repairs done in-home, or did they insist on transporting your set for replacement of the CRTs?

The Circuit City repairman ADMITTED that this repair could be done in my home, but stated that HE didn't want to take up a "whole day" doing the repair in my home. He then admitted that he'd never worked on this problem before (which makes me wonder if HE wants to send my TV to the Regional Repair Center because HE lacks the knowledge to fix it). If that's the case, I'd prefer to seek another, more experienced repairman - but regardless, I WANT THE SET REPAIRED IN MY HOME as Circuit's City's written guarantee states!!!! :angry:

What do you guys think?? Should I insist on IN-HOME repair?
I would appreciate hearing your experiences. Thank you!
:frowning:

Joseph Howard

Stunt Coordinator
While I don't have your Sony RPTV I have been in your position.

I have a Sony 53HS10 that exhibited the HDTV signal blanking issue (there is a Sony service bulletin) and I also have the Circuit City "In-Home Service."

It took awhile and a couple calls, but CC was able to find a technician in the next town from us to do the repair to the main electronic board in our home (sorta). The TV guy came and removed the "A" board to take back to his shop so that he could repair the board using his more precise solding equipment. (You should have seen the repair parts some of those resistors and transistor parts were practically microscopic). He then returned to replace the board.

This was much better than what was offered first... i.e. get the whole set removed, shipped, and returned. He just got the part that needed fixing.

And, it didn't cost a cent (it did take a few calls and a willingness to wait to FIND someone close enough to us to make the trip and fix it).

Keep trying.

Dr. Joe

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
What do you guys think?? Should I insist on IN-HOME repair?
I would demand it if I paid for it! Just because it may be "inconvenient" for the tech to come out shouldn't even factor into it.

Perhaps the tech is just trying to kill time to see if he is one of the 2000 CC is going to lay off. :)

Matt D K

Stunt Coordinator
Let me tell you about a Circuit City secret (I've worked there 9+ years) Bitch enough and you can get ANYTHING!

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Just to play devil's advocate here a bit: chances are the repair can be done better in the shop than in your home.

There's a lot of delicate adjustment necessary after a crt replacement, and I'd bet this can be done better in the shop than in your home.

I'm an auto service tech and I know for sure that critical stuff can be done a lot more accurately in the shop than in the customer's driveway.

In the case of a major repair like crt replacement on an rptv, I'd much rather be without the set for a few days and have it done in the shop where they have all the necessary tools and equipment to do the job right.

We're not talking about just unplugging and exchanging a circuit board. CRT replacement requires manual and electronic focusing as well as a complete manual convergence and resetting of the auto-convergence memory settings. I'd bet this can be done a lot more accurately in the shop than in your family room.

So while you're certainly entitled to "in home repair" you might get a much better quality job if you let them take it to the shop.

There are probably a number of techs in that shop, not just one, so the likelihood of someone who knows what they're doing participating in the work is much higher also.

Jenna

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeanette Howard
Well, Matt, you are correct. I headed out to CC again this morning, this time armed with my original written Performance Guarantee, a folder full of downloaded info from The Home Theater Forum and The Home Theater Spot, and a steely look of determination. I had the names and numbers of their District Manager and the Repair Manager in Charlotte and let them know that I was ready to call them. My mission: IN-HOME repair.

The "buck" was passed from person-to-person for about 15 minutes, then their Operations Mgr got on the phone to their Repair Facility (with his back toward me). I'm sure he convinced them that the Blair Witch was in their midst! I was kept waiting so long, that I eventually just walked out and whipped out my cell phone.

I called Sony directly and they said that since it was still also covered under their warranty, they'd be glad to set up IN-HOME service and gave me the number of a local authorized Sony Repair Center. These guys were amazingly nice and stated that they'd seen and worked on several "Sony Flicker" sets and that there was NO reason why the repair couldn't be done IN-HOME! They said they'd order the parts and should be ready to come out in 8-10 days and that they'd call me when the parts arrived.

When I got home, there was a message from Circuit City that they'd agreed to swap out my defective set with a new Sony KP57WS500 (which is the updated model with DVI), RATHER than service my set in home. They said they'd swap out the sets tomorrow (2/14). This new set will come with a new Sony Warranty, and 2yr Extended Warranty from Circuit City. (The reps at Sony stated that this would be an preferable option as I would have a new set with a fresh warranty.)

So, the saga continues, but at least Circuit City is working with me now, rather than against me. I'll keep you posted and let you know if they come through tomorrow.
:crazy:

Jenna

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeanette Howard
BTW, I'm aware that the Sony KP57WS500 has also been known to have this flicker, so I shared this concerned with the OpMgr @ Circuit City. He gave me the serial number (which is not listed as one of the "problem sets") --- but we'll see. If this set has bad CRTs too, I'm sure the problem will manifest itself during the first year. At that time, I'll just call Sony directly and have them replace all 3 CRTs. I'm just gonna keep my fingers crossed that THIS set is worthy of it's price tag.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Jenna,

Good deal!! CC has always treated me well, took the Hitachi I originally bought back in exchange for the Sony with no questions asked. I'm glad I decided to get thier extended wty when they offered it to me shortly before the Sony wty expired.

I think both Sony and CC are doing a pretty good job with this problem in Atlanta--hope it's just as good if I ever need it here in Fresburg.

Jenna

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeanette Howard
Well, two very nice (and studly) delivery guys from CC arrived promptly at noon today to pick-up the KP-57HW40, and delivered a new KP-57WS500 (with a serial number outside those posted by Sony that were thought to have the "bad" CRTs).

The guys efficiently removed the old set, and carefully brought in the new set, hooked it up, made sure it worked and then left. (No additional calibrations or fine tuning was performed - yet I wasn't going to ask them to do this; will do myself with Avia DVD.) Despite the lack of professional calibration, the sharpness and color hues of the new set were greatly improved over my old sets' recent picture (which has deteriorated somewhat over the last six months).

The "new" set is virtually identical to my old set, with the exception of the new DVI/HDTV input terminal, and it's slightly taller .... so it doesn't quite fit into my custom-built entertainment center (that was made to look built-in). Luckily, my fiance did the customizing, so he said he'd be able to raise that portion of the entertainment center bridge relatively easily. Actually, it was quite a snug fit on the old set.

So, many thanks to Circuit City for coming through (unfortunately after unnecessary complaining on my part). I'm not sure I'd purchase another large-ticket item from them anytime soon, but at least they made this situation right. Time will tell....keep your fingers cross that the flicker stays away from this set! :emoji_thumbsup:

Alex Dydula

Stunt Coordinator
Hi,

I have a KP-57HW40. Serial Number 9033171. I bought it in June of last year. No apparent flicker problem with it. Hundreds of hours on it.

Where can I get the SN range from SONY, and the models affected?? SONY's site is not that great.

I just want to know if I have any concern or not.

I bought From CC with the 4 yr ext warrenty.

Thanks
Alex

Jenna

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeanette Howard
Alex, according to a copy of a Sony Service Announcement that I downloaded from The Home Theater Spot, here are the serial numbers you requested:

KP-51HW40 and KP-57HW40 models: Serial numbers which have a ZERO in second digit, i.e. 90#####.
Symptoms: Picture Flicker, Greenish Hue
Other models affected: KDP-57XBR2, KDP-65XBR2, KP-51WS500, KP-57WS500.

It appears that your set IS DEFINITELY in the defective range. Remember, I purchased MY set last 3/6/02 and my set didn't flicker until 1/15/03...after hundreds of hours on it. It was a very subtle hue change, and I didn't realize how BAD the picture had actually gotten until Circuit City replaced the set with a new one with a perfect picture. (I had also purchased the extended warranty from CC.)

If I were you, I'd call Circuit City this week with your concern. But first, go to the Home Theater Spot and search for the following thread, "For all those that have the "Flicker Problem"...and download that info so you are armed with the facts before you confront CC.

Also remember that your set is still covered under Sony's warranty, so you can contact them directly via Sony InHome service. They were MUCH NICER to me in dealing with my problem than CC was. CC treated me like a pesky mosquito.

Good luck!

Alex Dydula

Stunt Coordinator
Jenna,

Many Thanks for the information. I will call Sony to get the ball rolling here...so far my set is "I think' ok, but I am certain I am getting up to the timeframe where this thngs lurks

Alex

PS: WHY CANT YOU FIND THIS ON THE SONY SERVICE WEBSITE???

Jenna

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeanette Howard
WHY CANT YOU FIND THIS ON THE SONY SERVICE WEBSITE???
I think for the same reason why they won't just RECALL their admittedly "defective" televisions: they're trying to keep it as "hush-hush" as possible. (I wouldn't have known about it if I didn't have a computer or wasn't a member of this forum!)

Sony doesn't want to ADVERTISE the fact that they have defective merchandise out there. It's bad enough that they have to admit it to the owners, and I'm sure they don't want potential future customers to be aware of this.

To me, there's a huge difference in publishing a service fix and initiating a recall of the television. A recall would be "6 o'clock news worthy" and would be highly publicized negative advertising. It's obvious that Sony is trying to sweep this whole thing under the rug with as little fuss as possible. Either way, it's costing them money to clean this up (repairing 3 CRTs=$$$) and you can bet that they'll pass THAT cost on to their customers by inflated prices and by using MORE cheap, defective parts in the future. Regardless, there's no way that I'd ever purchase another Sony television in the future....especially when Sony's own "authorized" service techs advise you NOT to!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks