Has anyone a TRUE STEREO recording of The Ronettes' BE MY BABY?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dick, Sep 5, 2002.

1. Dick

Dick Producer
    Supporter

Rick
    I have heard from reliable sources that this does exist somewhere, although Phil Spector is a notorious mono freak. Too bad, too, because BE MY BABY is such a gorgeous song and sounds much too cramped in mono! If anyone has this in decent condition, please post here and I will email you to talk further. Thanks!

2. Anthony Hom

Anthony Hom Supporting Actor

I have heard true stereo versions on vinyl compilations, but any CD sanctioned by PS have always been mono. You can always convert the vinyl version, or just go out and "find" it, I have heard a stereo version of the original mix on an MP3 file.

3. RickK

RickK Agent

4. Iain Lambert

Iain Lambert Screenwriter

Too Cramped? TOO CRAMPED!!!

Sorry, I'll calm down. While this would be an interesting artifact, Be My Baby is glorious mono, and in my mind always will be.

5. Anthony Hom

Anthony Hom Supporting Actor

Great web site on the Ronettes. True, the mono is considered the producers intent (a common theme in this HTF). I got the feeling the web site creator had ambivalent feelings for the stereo versions. I feel about the same way for the Phil Spector recordings. I myself have the mono XmasCD, but have 2 copies of the Xmas album on vinyl.

PS. There is also floating around a stereo version of the Crystals Da Do Ron Ron.

6. Dick

Dick Producer
    Supporter

Rick
    Since originally posting this, I went on eBay and found a copy of the "Presenting the Fabulous Ronettes" album - an import - on which 11 of the 17 tracks (including BE MY BABY) are true stereo. Love it. Sorry, Iain.