What's new

Blu-rays With Missing Elements in the Primary Audio Track (1 Viewer)

youworkmen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david
Bryan Tuck said:
Interesting about the Star Trek changes. In "Devil in the Dark," was that music always in the English version before?

I'd always read that several of the Connery Bond films were heavily remixed for DVD, but that they were toned down a bit for Blu-ray. From what I understand, Thunderball was the worst offender, but the 5.1 on the Blu-ray is closer to the original mix. (As usual, if the original track is on there, that's what I usually listen to, so I don't know for sure.) What are some of the added sound effects for You Only Live Twice?

Yes the music was always there on The Devil In the Dark . Seems to have been lost in the creation of the HD version.

The first instance of the added effects on YOLT was a WHOOSH during the gun barrel opening that was never there before.
There are others that I can't recall offhand but I know the film back to front so the changes are quite jarring when viewing. If you don't know the film that well you may not notice them.

I don't know if the Thunderball on the Lowry restoration has any connection to the first 5.1 mix the film had for the Special Edition Laserdisc boxset 20 years ago or whether they started again from scratch. I read they changed some of the sounds on it but I can't say I noticed any on the BD.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
Tommy R said:
These two REALLY bug me for some reason, perhaps because they are my two favorite movies of all-time. They may seem small, but I would've LOVED an original mono track included with these:

Back to the Future - When Doc first meets up with Marty after getting out of the Delorean for his first shot of the film, he says: "Marty, YOU'VE MADE IT!" But on the blu-ray, and I think on the initial DVD too, Doc's voice is less yelling-like, and sounds like a more horse "Marty, you've made it."

The Time Machine - When George stops in 1917 and is checking out the dust on all his clocks, there's a sound of wood creaking or some bang behind him and it cuts to footage of mice crawling around holes in the wall. In the DVD and blu-ray the sound of the bang is turned way down and barely there, making it more of a light tap.
Wow; I had never realized the difference in Doc's line from BTTF, but listening to both in succession reveals that they are indeed two completely different takes. I wonder if the less aggressive one on the Blu-ray is from the 70mm mix. (And incidentally, the original soundtrack for BTTF was stereo, not mono.)

On Time Machine, IMDB says there was a 4-track stereo theatrical mix, so it could be that the 5.1 on the Blu-ray was sourced primarily from that. Been a while since I've seen that film, but I'll take your word for it.

Thanks for all the info everyone, and to Mike for helping me get back into my original post.

Dale MA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dale
Bryan Tuck said:
Wow; I had never realized the difference in Doc's line from BTTF, but listening to both in succession reveals that they are indeed two completely different takes. I wonder if the less aggressive one on the Blu-ray is from the 70mm mix. (And incidentally, the original soundtrack for BTTF was stereo, not mono.)
Pretty sure Strickland's shotgun in Part II is altered also.

moviebuff75

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Scott Richard
Maybe "Annie" (1982) was taken from the 35mm track, while previous releases were the 70mm track or vice versa? There are too many little changes for it to have been a mistake.

John Nelson

Stunt Coordinator
I'm upset that a line from one of my favorite movies was there on the VHS version, disappeared from the DVD version, and is still not present on the latest Blu Ray edition. There is a line in The Man Who Would Be King (directed by John Huston and starring Sean Connery, Michael Caine, and Christopher Plummer) in which Danny and Peachy have traveled beyond the outskirts of known civilization to the unexplored far regions of Afghanistan and have come across an ancient walled town. After being subjected to a hail of hostile arrows they are about to return fire when they are suddenly greeted in a very British fashion by a voice yelling "I say, by jove, are you Englishmen?" They answer in the affirmative and this unknown person replies "You wait just one jiffy!" Coming from "the back of beyond" these statements are unexpected and jarring. The "one jiffy" line of dialogue was not present on the DVD version of this movie and I was sure they would replace it on the Blu Ray, but it seems lost to time now.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
Finally made some new additions: the BACK TO THE FUTURE PART II shotgun, and some additional AMERICAN TAIL info (what a goofed-up remix).

On THE MAN WHO WOULD BE KING, is it just the line that's missing from the soundtrack, or is there also footage removed?

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
Added some Mad Max info, and added Star Trek III for a missing sound effect.

moviebuff75

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Scott Richard
Could some of these lines that are now missing have been added to older the copies but weren't there originally? And if so, how does that happen?

verneaux

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bill
On the Blu-ray of FUNNY FACE during the song ‘Clap Yo Hands’ drum rim shots have been eliminated. These were used to accent Astaire’s kicks and to simulate machine gun fire from his guitar as he sinks to the floor. In one edition, switching from the 5.1 track to the mono brought back the sounds.

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
Compared to the old VHS, the Blu-Ray of Rankin-Bass’ The Little Drummer Boy is missing a great number of sound effects that I scarcely know where to begin in listing the instances. Worse yet, a key passage of Greer Garson’s narration is inexplicably replaced with a man narrating (presumably Paul Frees).

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
A 2008 piece by Jonathan Rosenbaum on the DVD of Giant notes the deletion of The Yellow Rose of Texas (originally heard over end credits). I guess it is the same with the bluray.
Source: https://jonathanrosenbaum.net/2021/06/a-reduced-giant/
I produced the expanded "Giant" soundtrack album a number of years ago for La-La Land Records. I can't find my paperwork for it and while I used the allegedly wrong DVD as a reference, I can't find any indication that it was supposed to be anything but "The Eyes Of Texas Are Upon You" for the end titles. I've gone back to my Pro Tools session from 2014 and everything for R22P4 (the reel and part number for the end credits) is "The Eyes Of Texas Are Upon You."

Stefan Andersson

Second Unit
I produced the expanded "Giant" soundtrack album a number of years ago for La-La Land Records. I can't find my paperwork for it and while I used the allegedly wrong DVD as a reference, I can't find any indication that it was supposed to be anything but "The Eyes Of Texas Are Upon You" for the end titles. I've gone back to my Pro Tools session from 2014 and everything for R22P4 (the reel and part number for the end credits) is "The Eyes Of Texas Are Upon You."
Hello Neil!
Thank you very much for your prompt correction. Very good to know!

If you want to communicate with Mr. Rosenbaum, he gives his e-mail as: [email protected] - source:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks