What's new

Harvey Weinstein allegations; who's next when it comes to allegations? (1 Viewer)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I think once someone gets to know a person (even on a fairly cursory level like as a coworker or a casual acquaintance), they will get to know that you're not up to any shenanigans.

I dunno that I agree with that at all. How people act in their work life often has a very different look than how they act in private. I personally know many many examples of this.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
honestly, prior to all this coming out, I'm shocked that there were women that didn't view all men with suspicion.

There were countless articles through the years about inappropriate catcalling/touching, invading space on public transport by literally plucking earbuds out of women's ears so as to get their attention. I couldn't tell you how many girlfriends I had that told me of being followed and worse by guys wanting their attention. Never mind the behaviour you see going down in any night club.

The only difference now is they are being taking seriously on serious allegations, instead of being told to "lighten up" or "that's the bizz". It's all part of the same system of male entitlement, from catcalling to rape.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
If guys stopped paying attention to them, it would be nothing but complaints about guys becoming "herbivores" or crap like "where did all the 'real' men go". If you don't pursue them then it would be "he must be gay" and if you do pursue them then you are nothing but a potential rapist. It is becoming a no-win situation.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
If guys stopped paying attention to them, it would be nothing but complaints about guys becoming "herbivores" or crap like "where did all the 'real' men go". If you don't pursue them then it would be "he must be gay" and if you do pursue them then you are nothing but a potential rapist. It is becoming a no-win situation.
I'm not buying those comments about a no-win situation.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell

Can't agree with this at all. There are ways to approach women without violating their space or person.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Can't agree with this at all. There are ways to approach women without violating their space or person.

Really? Explain how. Because as soon as a person so much as sends a text, e-mail, phone call, message by carrier pigeon or approachs to ask for a date, meeting or to go for a coffee, you are violating their space. The first response for a lot of them is to say no. Does a guy give up after the first no?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I dunno that I agree with that at all. How people act in their work life often has a very different look than how they act in private. I personally know many many examples of this.
That's true but by that logic, you should trust no one because you never really know someone. At a certain point, you need to trust your instincts & other people and hope that they're who you think they are at least to the point that they're not dangerous.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Really? Explain how. Because as soon as a person so much as sends a text, e-mail, phone call, message by carrier pigeon or approachs to ask for a date, meeting or to go for a coffee, you are violating their space. The first response for a lot of them is to say no. Does a guy give up after the first no?
I remember asking for a date and the girl said she was already seeing someone. Later she told me how much she appreciated that I stayed a work friend with her. I can be done. Just try being decent.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member

I have told my friend who always pursues the girls he likes, and gets rejected this: -It is a lot easier to go out on a date if a girl fancies or crushes on you. I was lucky enough that all my serious girlfriends picked me to go out with them. One even called me and asked me out while I was dating another girl. All the girls I asked out because I was attracted to them, lets just say they were pretty miserable results.

Maybe 1 in 5 went out with me but never got past a second date.

If someone rejects me when I ask her out, I never bother her again.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I always took people's words at face value. Mainly because I didn't have the time or patience to play games like that if they were indeed 'playing hard to get.' And if they weren't, what's that say about me or my prospects if I have to do a hard sell in order to get cup of coffee with someone? I'd rather give my attention to someone who sees value in my company without having to do a sales pitch.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell

Three scenarios:

1: Cute girl in a coffee shop reading a book. She looks up, see's you, immediately goes back to reading her book.

2: Cute girl in coffee shop, reading a book with ear buds on, never looks up or acknowledges you.

3: Cute girl in coffee shop reading a book. She looks up, see's you and smiles. Goes back to book.

Now, if you're not sure which one of those scenarios invites a polite "Hello" from you to see what happens, then I can't help you.

This idea that all women are out in the world waiting for there knight in shining armour is a bunch of BS.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
As predicted, it seems like a lot of personal frustrations are getting twisted in among the allegations of serious abuse. Might be time to cool it. Definitely cool it with the dating scenarios and stick to the allegations.

Sorry if my post preceding this caused any offence, and please delete it if deemed off topic. I only posted as a counter of what I believe to be the myth that "men can't talk to girls anymore!" emasculation talk. No personal attack is intended in any of my posts, and I don't claim to know everything. :)

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
It's not cool to be automatically lumped in with the scumbags but I think once someone gets to know a person (even on a fairly cursory level like as a coworker or a casual acquaintance), they will get to know that you're not up to any shenanigans. In short, I know that I act right so I'm not going to be branded a dirtbag like the real creeps out there.

Catching up a little bit on the thread. I tend to agree with Sam that professional and personal lives can be markedly different and that we don't always reveal our true selves even to some of those around us. Pardon the excursion from topic, but...

One of the biggest take aways I had from the entire set of circumstances involving OJ Simpson back in the '90s was how different his tailored public persona differed from his private life. He had carefully groomed a public persona that served him well in terms of fame and celebrity, but once the case broke open an entirely different side of this individual was revealed to the general public.

Sure, that is an extreme example; but I think it is instructive of most individuals that they are more complex and often hide aspects of their persona from those around them. So yeah, I don't buy into the idea that co-workers and even casual friends can really get a true sense of someone's capacity or predilection for 'shenanigans'.

- Walter.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Catching up a little bit on the thread. I tend to agree with Sam that professional and personal lives can be markedly different and that we don't always reveal our true selves even to some of those around us. Pardon the excursion from topic, but...

One of the biggest take aways I had from the entire set of circumstances involving OJ Simpson back in the '90s was how different his tailored public persona differed from his private life. He had carefully groomed a public persona that served him well in terms of fame and celebrity, but once the case broke open an entirely different side of this individual was revealed to the general public.

Sure, that is an extreme example; but I think it is instructive of most individuals that they are more complex and often hide aspects of their persona from those around them. So yeah, I don't buy into the idea that co-workers and even casual friends can really get a true sense of someone's capacity or predilection for 'shenanigans'.

- Walter.
Like I said,
That's true but by that logic, you should trust no one because you never really know someone. At a certain point, you need to trust your instincts & other people and hope that they're who you think they are at least to the point that they're not dangerous.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
It is a question of degree. I'm not suggesting that you shun people and never extend any measure of trust. But you can use some common sense and A) evaluate the individual based upon their behavior around you and others and B) not let yourself get into situations where you could be at risk; especially if the individual seems a bit 'off'. You can still 'trust' someone in a public or professional environment where other factors ensure good behavior but this doesn't mean you really know them.

( Maybe I've been watching too many procedurals. :) )

- Walter.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks