What's new

Harvey Weinstein allegations; who's next when it comes to allegations? (1 Viewer)

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I think "unwatchable" is a bit hyperbolic, but I understand cringing or feeling uncomfortable at moments with the films.

I was watching Toy Story 3 last night with my daughter and I recoiled a bit when Lotso smothered Buzz with a hug upon first meeting him.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I think "unwatchable" is a bit hyperbolic, but I understand cringing or feeling uncomfortable at moments with the films.

I was watching Toy Story 3 last night with my daughter and I recoiled a bit when Lotso smothered Buzz with a hug upon first meeting him.
Remind me, why did that make you recoil?

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I think I'd read somewhere that Lotso was somewhat inspired by Lasseter's enthusiastic hugging behavior, but I can't find an article that fully supports this. In any case, the association is now in my mind, so when I watched the film it was a reminder of Lasseter and took me out of the film for a moment.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
It's an opinion piece (I believe) and the headline is couched within the addition of the modifier "nearly"...but for the most part, I agree that it's hyperbolic.

But, OTOH, I have also admitted that one of the favorite films of my youth (1981's Arthur with Dudley Moore) has me looking at it differently now. While still funny for many reasons...the fact that Arthur was constantly drunk while navigating through life just strikes me differently now than it did in the 80s. He had a drink in his hand in nearly every scene! I'm no prude. I occasionally drink. But all I can say is that for some reason that film stands out to me as one I view through different eyes now.

I suppose that it is hard for any of us to say how certain criteria will change another's view of a film (#metoo or whatever) but I certainly can't say that any of these revelations have altered my thoughts on any of the films mentioned in the article. I find the reference to Rocky as laughable, for that matter. But I think that while sexual abuse is very clearly a problem in our society, I believe that there has been an overreaction to some of this news in some corners. But for those to whom these revelations are the important news of the day, if these films aren't fun for them anymore...okay.

To each their own and I say "so what" since I've long ago figured out that people are just going to think differently about things than the way I do. They are nearly always wrong, of course... :D The point being...I don't get worked up about it any more.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
It's an opinion piece (I believe) and the headline is couched within the addition of the modifier "nearly"...but for the most part, I agree that it's hyperbolic.

But, OTOH, I have also admitted that one of the favorite films of my youth (1981's Arthur with Dudley Moore) has me looking at it differently now. While still funny for many reasons...the fact that Arthur was constantly drunk while navigating through life just strikes me differently now than it did in the 80s. He had a drink in his hand in nearly every scene! I'm no prude. I occasionally drink. But all I can say is that for some reason that film stands out to me as one I view through different eyes now.
For me that has never been an issue because the whole point of the film was that Arthur had a drinking problem. Had this not been acknowledged in the plot I would also see it differently through my adult eyes.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
For me that has never been an issue because the whole point of the film was that Arthur had a drinking problem. Had this not been acknowledged in the plot I would also see it differently through my adult eyes.
Also, if memory serves, Arthur never harassed a woman in the movie (correct me if my memory is wrong). I remember Arthur as being an unhappy man-child.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Yeah he was just an unhappy drunk guy.
He never harassed anyone.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Several years ago I had a friend who was involved in the movie industry, who also had a friend who lived in the movie industry. He was at the point where he was moving up the ladder pretty steadily. I constantly was hearing stories. Many of them are the exact ones that are coming out now.

I think I said earlier in this thread, that 15 years ago, while I was watching Asia Argento's "Scarlet Diva" and the scene with Barry whatshisname came on screen, I knew exactly who it was written about. I stopped the movie to look up which movie Argento had starred in for HW. "B. Monkey". I actually had heard about "True Lies" and the stunt coordinator's nickname for Eliza Dushku, "jailbait". Yes, I had heard that exact nickname. At the time, I don't think I was told the name of the actress, but she was completely unknown then. It was no secret within the crew that he was targeting her. Remember, this is all second person, but it's turning out to be true.

There's one director who is burned into my memory, who I was frequently told had an especially disgusting habit, which he eventually stopped feeding. He's kind of disappeared from the scene these days, but 10-20 years ago he was making blockbusters. No, I'm not going to say who he is, unless his name comes out publicly. If It does, trust me, I'll say "that's the guy." Unfortunately, I don't think it'll come out.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
http://www.nydailynews.com/entertai...e-winners-unwatchable-metoo-article-1.3851714

I love Mrs. Miniver and have seen it many times, and don't even remember this scene.

They're obviously grasping for straws.

Edit: No wonder I didn't remember it.

That's because it doesn't even exist. It's a playful spank. Walter Pidgeon isn't angrily throwing Greer Garson onto the bed while "casually spouting" sexist dialogue, nor is he violently spanking her.

It's a husband and a wife essentially having fun with each other, over an event that neither can hardly believe actually happened a few hours earlier.

Harmless, absolutely 100% harmless. This rag sheet should be firing this Peter Sblendorio, not publishing trash like this.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
http://www.nydailynews.com/entertai...e-winners-unwatchable-metoo-article-1.3851714

I love Mrs. Miniver and have seen it many times, and don't even remember this scene.

They're obviously grasping for straws.

Edit: No wonder I didn't remember it.

That's because it doesn't even exist. It's a playful spank. Walter Pidgeon isn't angrily throwing Greer Garson onto the bed while "casually spouting" sexist dialogue, nor is he violently spanking her.

It's a husband and a wife essentially having fun with each other, over an event that neither can hardly believe actually happened a few hours earlier.

Harmless, absolutely 100% harmless. This rag sheet should be firing this Peter Sblendorio, not publishing trash like this.

Yeah, I responded earlier in this thread about that article starting with this post was nothing more than BS.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
It’s interesting. No one had posted on Cosby even thought he’s the highest profile offender of them all. He’s America’s Dad. He’s a scumbag too. And he’s the only offender convicted of anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks