What's new

Harvey Weinstein allegations; who's next when it comes to allegations? (1 Viewer)

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/ne...n-fight/ar-BBIToRx?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartandhp

#METOO's first fatality

Messick's family said in a statement she was "broken" by seeing her name in the news surrounding McGowan's accusation that Weinstein raped her. Last month, Weinstein's team included a quote from her from last year that supported Weinstein's argument that his involvement with McGowan was consensual.

"Jill Messick was a mother of two children, a loving wife and partner, a dear friend to many and a smart entertainment executive. She was also a survivor, privately battling depression which had been her nemesis for years," her family said in a statement. "Today she did not survive. Jill took her own life.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/ne...n-fight/ar-BBIToRx?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartandhp

#METOO's first fatality

Messick's family said in a statement she was "broken" by seeing her name in the news surrounding McGowan's accusation that Weinstein raped her. Last month, Weinstein's team included a quote from her from last year that supported Weinstein's argument that his involvement with McGowan was consensual.

"Jill Messick was a mother of two children, a loving wife and partner, a dear friend to many and a smart entertainment executive. She was also a survivor, privately battling depression which had been her nemesis for years," her family said in a statement. "Today she did not survive. Jill took her own life.
Yeah, I almost posted a similar article in the NYP yesterday, but decided not to. I'm not a fan of McGowan's "burn everybody to the ground" campaign.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I almost posted a similar article in the NYP yesterday, but decided not to. I'm not a fan of McGowan's "burn everybody to the ground" campaign.

I was going to say the same thing. If she was victim that is a shame, and we are glad you outed your abuser...yet cursing and screaming at anyone remotely friendly of said abuser is in very poor taste. I hope she is happy.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I was going to say the same thing. If she was victim that is a shame, and we are glad you outed your abuser...yet cursing and screaming at anyone remotely friendly of said abuser is in very poor taste. I hope she is happy.
It's part of that "lynch mob" mentality I'm so afraid of that is overtaking this society and in part because of social media.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
From the Hollywood Reporter:
"Seeing her name in headlines again and again, as part of one person’s attempt to gain more attention for her personal cause, along with Harvey’s desperate attempt to vindicate himself, was devastating for her. It broke Jill, who was just starting to get her life back on track. What makes Rose’s inaccurate accusations and insinuations against Jill ironic was that she was the first person who stood up on Rose’s behalf, and alerted her bosses to the horrific experience which Rose suffered"

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
It's part of that "lynch mob" mentality I'm so afraid of that is overtaking this society and in part because of social media.

I'll politely disagree with the "lynch mob mentality." It's not a mob as much as Rose herself being hysterical. I'm loath to judge her, she's obviously struggling with her experience and is not comfortable with the scope of #metoo and #timesup which explains her passive aggressive posts. I don't know if it's ego or just her processing but it's been pretty awkward from the start. Not that I'm one to tell anyone how to process being assaulted in a public forum.

That said, I guess I could agree that a mob mentality is with the media churning up as much content as possible, as opposed to false accusations that I interpreted your post as implying. My apologies if that's the my error.

What has happened to Jill Messick is tragic. Rose might have legitimately felt wronged. I have no idea. I think there's going to be more casualties. You don't sweep up generations of systematic abuse without people getting hit in the crossfire. I hate how cold hearted it sounds to say it, but I think it's true.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'll politely disagree with the "lynch mob mentality." It's not a mob as much as Rose herself being hysterical. I'm loath to judge her, she's obviously struggling with her experience and is not comfortable with the scope of #metoo and #timesup which explains her passive aggressive posts. I don't know if it's ego or just her processing but it's been pretty awkward from the start. Not that I'm one to tell anyone how to process being assaulted in a public forum.

That said, I guess I could agree that a mob mentality is with the media churning up as much content as possible, as opposed to false accusations that I interpreted your post as implying. My apologies if that's the my error.

What has happened to Jill Messick is tragic. Rose might have legitimately felt wronged. I have no idea. I think there's going to be more casualties. You don't sweep up generations of systematic abuse without people getting hit in the crossfire. I hate how cold hearted it sounds to say it, but I think it's true.
I think there is a "feeding frenzy" going on which is why I think there is a "lynch mob mentality" as people like McGowan are taking to social media to accuse people and their followers are joining in without any evidence saying foul things about some people that may or may not be guilty of what McGowan is saying about them. I'm not talking about Weinstein, but others caught in the crossfire of a woman determined to burn publicly anybody she feels is responsible for her plight. It's just not right! I have a problem with the way social media is being used as a weapon to destroy people in a public arena.

Also, I think McGowan's behavior on social media isn't passive/aggressive, but aggressive/aggressive.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I think there is a "feeding frenzy" going on which is why I think there is a "lynch mob mentality" as people like McGowan are taking to social media to accuse people and their followers are joining in without any evidence saying foul things about some people that may or may not be guilty of what McGowan is saying about them. I'm not talking about Weinstein, but others caught in the crossfire of a woman determined to burn publicly anybody she feels is responsible for her plight. It's just not right! I have a problem with the way social media is being used as a weapon to destroy people in a public arena.

I agree with you on how Rose is handling it. I can't help but feel that McGowan is taking it personally that #MeToo and #TimesUp grew out of this and are not run by Rose McGowan. the women behind those movements seem more levelheaded.

that said, it's lousy that Rose is expected to be perfect and include LGBTQ and other groups in her story. And it's shitty that when a transperson challenges her in public that she automatically goes to HARVEY HIRED A PLANT! THEY'RE ALL AGAINST ME!

guys, everything about this sucks!

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
It's not a mob as much as Rose herself being hysterical. I'm loath to judge her, she's obviously struggling with her experience...
Yeah, I realize McGowan's been through something terrible and I feel for that but she seemingly wants to fight everyone and that's not helping her or helping her fight against abuse/misconduct/general scumbaggery.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
I'm sorry but the hypocritical statement was more aimed at those stars defending Roman Polanski who is guilty, and he knows it.

For Dylan to stand by her story against Woody Allen for 25 years says a lot to me. She has nothing to gain from it, the judge thought Allen's behavior was "grossly inappropriate" toward her, and she needed "protection from him" If that isn't a guilt laced statement, then I don't know what else to say.

I'm catching up to the thread, so apologies if some of this has been covered. To be clear, I don't think anybody is accusing Dylan Farrow of lying. She obviously very much believes these things happened to her. Now, I'm not a fan in any way of Woody. I don't think I've ever seen one of his movies in its entirety. He seems kind of pretentious and from stuff I have seen, I don't see myself really enjoying his films. However, I'm not sure I'm fully willing to convict him. Apparently he was cleared in both NY and CT. Certainly, one could argue that Mia had motive to try to destroy Allen (and hasn't she kind of been accused of having some bats in her belfry?). Also didn't one of the other kids claim he witnessed Mia coaching Dylan?

I just can't say I'm 100% certain either way.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/ce...n-the-middle-ages”/ar-BBIYHqt?ocid=spartandhp

Asked if this escalation can help transform society for the better, Haneke responded,
"Any shi*storm that even comes out on the forums of serious online news outlets after such 'revelations' poisons the social climate. And this makes every argument on this very important subject even more difficult. The malignancy that hits you on the internet often stifles you. This new puritanism imbued with a hatred of men that comes in the wake of the #MeToo movement worries me."

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Cosby (and Stephen Collins from 7th Heaven, who was inappropriate around children) are extreme examples of this issue in that their antithetical acts put them in direct contradiction of the values and lifestyles demonstrated by their characters on the shows they are famous for, which is what makes it more difficult to watch those shows now, I thik.

Now you can add Scott Baio to that list, although unlike Cosby, there are no fond memories destroyed on my part.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
From that article:

When we had our first meeting, a young female intern said something that took the male GQ editors aback a little. She’d been reading so much about terrible men, she confessed – the gropers and the rapists, the Weinsteins and the Spaceys, the seedy CEOs, the hypocrite journalists and everyone in-between – that she now looked at all men differently.

She was, she confessed, now scared of men. The stranger on the tube, the random guy in the lift, the man across the street – every one, now, a potential danger. Every man who could be one of those men.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is what I feel will continue to inhabit a lot of minds of women because of the Metoo/Times Up movement.

This is what frightens me, and has since the beginning.

I can't tolerate Racism, Sexism, Ageism etc. So while this movement had to happen, it also take us a step back, and heightens insecurities.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
From that article:

When we had our first meeting, a young female intern said something that took the male GQ editors aback a little. She’d been reading so much about terrible men, she confessed – the gropers and the rapists, the Weinsteins and the Spaceys, the seedy CEOs, the hypocrite journalists and everyone in-between – that she now looked at all men differently.

She was, she confessed, now scared of men. The stranger on the tube, the random guy in the lift, the man across the street – every one, now, a potential danger. Every man who could be one of those men.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is what I feel will continue to inhabit a lot of minds of women because of the Metoo/Times Up movement.

This is what frightens me, and has since the beginning.

I can't tolerate Racism, Sexism, Ageism etc. So while this movement had to happen, it also take us a step back, and heightens insecurities.
It's not cool to be automatically lumped in with the scumbags but I think once someone gets to know a person (even on a fairly cursory level like as a coworker or a casual acquaintance), they will get to know that you're not up to any shenanigans. In short, I know that I act right so I'm not going to be branded a dirtbag like the real creeps out there.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks