What's new

Harry Potter dvd (1 Viewer)

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
ILM has sunk to new lows to get cheap.
And since Sony was not contracted to do the currently in production sequel, I think we're not the only ones disappointed in the efects work. ILM is doing the sequel.

However, I also remember reading about Sony not being given enough time to finish their work properly, so I won't blame them. I'll blame studio suits who, in my opinion, are responsible for 99% of thw world's evils.

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Philosopher's Stone had a large number of effects units (practical and post) which is what I account for the inconsitency with some of the visuals. As mentioned Sony and ILM had involvement, as did a number of UK based houses.

I was honestly having too much fun to care about what visual problems the movie had however.

Dan (UK)

PS: Since 90% of my DVDs are importerd from there, I am definately hoping Canada gets the "Philosopher' badged version for it's DVD release.

Josh_Hill

Screenwriter
I wasnt bashing ILM, I was just bashing the effects in HP. They were horrendous. ILM does fantastic work most of the time. Its only when they dont have enough time, thats when the shit hits the fan. Look at TPM or Pearl Harbor, those are great effects, cause they took the time.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
I'd like to see seamless branching to an extended director's cut, and seamless branching to the philosopher's stone version, I'd also like to see dts.

what do you bet we don't get any of that

Adam

Joel C

Screenwriter
You get a DVD screener ALREADY? Or do you mean, eventually, you'll get a screener?

Now that I am typing this, I assume you mean eventually.

Hartwig Hanser

Second Unit
What I want most of all - besides the obvious OAR anamorphic - is an isolated soundtrack of John Williams brilliant music.

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Oh I would love an isolated score. The CD release was decent, but there are still cues/alternate takes in the movie I'd really love. Didn't the music industry/composers and studios recently agree though that isolated scores would become a thing of the past?
Most composers hate the idea of isolated scores, Williams even had the proposed one for The Patriot removed so my hopes are not high. :frowning: Only williams iso score I can recall is on the E.T laserdisc box set.
Dan (UK)

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
I hate to be a wet blanket here, but having seen both versions of the film, the only difference is the word "Philosopher's". They even left the British "bogey" in the US version. I doubt you'll see a release of "Philosopher's Stone" in the US and to be honest, I don't think you'll miss it.

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds
I won't even consider buying Harry Potter unless it is the full director's cut.
Wait a sec...was there some behind the scenes studio interference with Harry Potter that I missed somewhere? I thought that the theatrical release was Columbus' cut!

Unless you mean you want a non-director approved longer cut that includes the poltergeist business that was cut by the director because he felt it bogged down the pacing of the film...

Mark E J

Second Unit
I heard that the original cut Columbus wanted released was about 3hrs long but WB would not approve that running time. Infact I heard that the director had to fight tooth and nail to get the 2 and a half hr cut released.

Plus there was a lot of more stuff missing from the book than Peeves. Paticularly background on Hermione, scenes with Ron's family, and more information on the past of Snape. Most of this info is very important to the plot of The Chamber of Secrets. I also read somewhere recently that Chris Columbus was actively trying to get a extended cut on the DVD.

Tim_P_76

Second Unit
Real Name
Timothy J. Parkans
I don't remember there being anything about Ron's family in the first book. Maybe dialogue between/or of the twins or Pearcy. The second book goes all into the Weasleys'. To get an alternate title is nothing to make me get excited. I'm happy to by The UK book versions but not enough to wish for the movie. I hope for a longer cut but it'll be in the deleted scenes section...It would be too good to be true. Will this thing have the family title 'brand'with the Bugs logo on it?..that will say it all! I see them mixing material for both the kids and adult audience. P&S and WS with commentary on one disc. On the second: Probably games with hopefully some good Docs. on production and just the effects. Hopefully something that will focus on the book and the characters also. Trailers, etc...I read that it would have a slip cover like "Kane" so thats nice. We'll all know tomorrow though... ;)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I don't remember there being anything about Ron's family in the first book.
There were a few bits at the train station where Ron's mom helped Harry get onto the proper platform, and Ron's younger sister getting worked up over the idea that she'd just met Harry Potter. Nothing at all like the amount of Weasleys we see in the 2nd story, but a tad more nonetheless.

I have no idea if that stuff was even filmed, much less cut from the movie. I did miss it a bit, though.

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
In response to some earlier posts...

John Williams had an isolated score on the Superman DVD. I cant remember if it was 5.1 or not. Either way it was bliss to have it.

And as for LOTR not being original or as original as Harrt Potter...I and countless others will argue that LOTR is the more original of the two until our dying days. Dont forget LOTR is about 50 years old now. That is a long time ago for the stuff in it to be created. Tons of modern fantasy and scifi owe much to Tolkien.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Superman's isolated score is indeed in 5.0, pure bliss!
They even remixed that horrific "Can you read my mind" pop song to 5.1 :)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
The Press Junket is today.

Though every website and media in existence

will be covering this Press conference, I will

post the details of the release on this forum

within 30 minutes of the Press Coverage's close.

Check back here later today.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks