What's new

Harry O and Richard Diamond (1 Viewer)

shadyguy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brad Lloyd
As a big David Janssen fan, I was wondering if there is an news on the future of Harry O and Richard Diamond coming to DVD ?

Would love to see both series digitally remastered !!

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I bought alternative copies of these last year and was glad I did. At least I have something to hold me over in case they don't get released while I am still above ground.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Don't forget Janssen's other show "O'Hara: U.S. Treasury" which had a brief renaissance on A+E in the early 90s.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
I'm also a Janssen fan and that "Diamond" series interests me. Never seen any episode. If I recall, Bob (H) mentioned some partial release in PD (or near-PD picture Q), perhaps in a "detective" collecton. I'd be interested in a cleaned up remastered release though.

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
I'm with you totally on "Richard Diamond" and (especially) "Harry O." "Harry O" was a small masterpiece that fit Janssen like a glove. It had me from the first voiceover of the first show as he walked past the ringing phone and into his house: "Where I really wanted to be was Idaho Falls, Idaho, because that's where the circus was in town . . ." The voiceover finished, "I thought I'd answer the phone if it rang 18 times" as he picked it up, heard his client-to-be and we were off into the plot.

If you think about it, the voiceovers in "Magnum" owed a lot to "Harry O." Both would start totally off the subject of what would become the plot (Magnum's most frequent was a rumination about the problems of living in paradise) before getting to the subject at hand.

I've come to the conclusion that Tom Selleck has basically turned into David Janssen. Both had hugely successful series, had (in Selleck's case, have) TV movies that always draw high ratings, and their movie careers never quite hit the big time. Plus, they both had/have that laid-back charm that make you root for them.

As for "O'Hara", that was a Jack Webb by-the-numbers production. I'll worry about it if we ever get more "Richard Diamond" beyond that two-episode DVD that came out a few years ago. But before "Richard Diamond," give me "Harry O."

shadyguy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brad Lloyd
I agree Rick, I got that 2 episode Richard Diamond and it is very hard to watch and needs remastered badly.
I have never seen an episode of Harry O nor O'Hara, so it will be all new to me!! :P

BobSchneider

Second Unit
I love to see harry o out on dvd , I think it only ran 2 or 3 seasons so it be good whole series to collect. It was fun show perfect for Janssen sadly he died short after harry o ended.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
Great show, hope Warner wakes up to this. Doesn't The Rockford Files owe a lot to Harry O, too? Like the voiceover thing, the sparse living quarters, etc. The Janssen show is a much more depressing, philosophical and downbeat show, too bad it only lasted two seasons because it's Janssen's best. Perfect for him, the private detective forever working on his beach boat, bullet in his back, using public transportation, and likes a drink. I find it more realistic and interesting, than the lighter (and slicker dressed) Garner show.

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
I don't believe "Rockford Files" used voiceovers at all. Even if they had, "Rockford" would have owed nothing to "Harry O." They both premiered at the same time.

shadyguy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brad Lloyd
That was a good catch Rick, both shows premiered in 1974.
It just seems Rockford was on later due to the fact it lasted until 1980, the same year David Janssen passed away.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
Actually, Harry O's (first) pilot premiered in early 1973, undoubtedly making that particular one a 1972 production, the show itself also premiered before the Garner show.

nikkif99uk

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Nikki Fineing
I would buy these as blind buys as I love The Fugitive along with a couple of other shows David Janssen guest-starred in including Follow the Sun (1961), The Millionaire (1955) and Frontier Justice (1958)

Dave B Ferris

Screenwriter

A theatrical film in which Janssen played the lead was released to DVD several years ago: Warning Shot. The DVD is now apparently out-of-print, although several sellers at Amazon are offering copies for what seem to be reasonable prices. Also at Amazon, many of the customer reviews indicate this was one of Janssen's best films.

jamoon2006

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jack Mooney
I saw Warning Shot last year through Netflix. It's definitely worth checking out. Not only is Janssen great, but the cast has a ton of great 60s and 70s TV character actors (Ed Begley, Keenan Wynn, Caroll O'Connor just to name a few.)

Count me in for Harry O. Everything I've read about this show says it rivals Rockford for best TV private eye. As for Richard Diamond, I hope it's released for fans, but I didn't care for the episodes I saw. I prefer Dick Powell's radio Diamond - "radio's singing gumshoe."
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
And it also wipes the floor with Magnum PI, too much silliness in these later 70s/80s crime shows, in my humble opinion. I just watched some first season Kojaks last night, grim and dark as they come, dirty streets, grimy alleys, rainy docks, and no nonsense. No gimmicks. Everything that doesn't sell a show today, unfortunately. You know, realism, seasoned actors, and professionally written good scripts & evolving stories.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

BobSchneider

Second Unit

Henry I loved Kojak too, but the last season when it went "broadway" with new opening theme music and less serious story lines. I like rockford files too but I cant stand any episode with Angel in it and again like most series the early seasons 1-3 are the best. Harry O was different, Orwell had his police disability pention as was doing the private eye thing on the side for extra money , it always had lighter tone but still very good as a drama season two premier were Orwell hunts down the killer of his Manny Quinlan was the high point of the series I love to see it on dvd soon

shadyguy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brad Lloyd
jamoon, I agree with you, "Warning Shot" is an excellent movie and is a must for any David Janssen fan.
Sure wish he had gotten to make more films !!

I've only seen two Richard Diamond episodes, but would love to see the entire series remastered !

Bert Greene

Screenwriter
One curiosity I seemed to notice from the "Richard Diamond" tv-series is that the early episodes from 1957 are a bit on the dated side, more akin to some early/mid-50s crime show. But by 1959-60 the series really developed into a much more slick, modern-feeling atmospheric, sort of heralding a 60s-tv vibe. Seemed quite a jump for a simple three-year time span.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks