What's new

Harman/Kardon AVR225 vs 525 vs Parasound HCA855A (1 Viewer)

Drew_W

Screenwriter
I'm considering, nay I need to upgrade my H/K AVR225. I'm quite happy with the H/K sound/design/whatevernot, so all the extra features aside (there are no extra features on the 525 that I use on the 225), is the difference in wattage going to make all that much of a difference. The 225 is 55x5 or 2x65, the 525 is 7x70 or 2x85.

Second question. If I was to pick up the Parasound 855A which is 85x5 (I know I'd need a preamp of some sort, but that's for another thread), would the 2x85 performance of the Parasound be markedly different than that of the H/K?

Merci.

AndrewErickson

Stunt Coordinator

It looks to me like you're not if you're looking to upgrade.
How is the Parasound wattage rated? Is it at 1kHz and 6 ohms? If so, both HK's will blow it away. I have a 325 that I'm quite happy with. I don't think that either upgrade will have the impact that you want considering the amount of money you will have to pay.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
I think in addition to considering the Parasound amp upgrade, you should also consider selling your AVR-225 and buying the AVR-7200. This would give you a nice bump in power in addition to other features, too. The Parasound amp upgrade probably would run you the same amount of money as going with what I suggested.

CarlosM

Stunt Coordinator
is your current 225 struggling? do you hear distortion at your listening levels? I dont see a mere 15 watts/channel defending a 2x cost increase.

Jim Williams

Second Unit
I think that I was in a similar place as you a few months ago. I thought I wanted to upgrade my Onkyo 601 with either an HK 525 or a Denon 2803. I couldn't put my finger on exactly why except that I thought my 601 sounded harsh. On a whim I popped in my Avia disk and found that my speakers were out of phase. Once I cleared that up I couldn't be happier with my 601. I think it was just a case of upgrade-itis that took hold of me.

Also, keep in mind that you have to double the power of an amp to hear a 3db increase in sound volume. The move from the 225 to the 525 is less than a 1.5db increase in volume.

If the sound of the 225 pleases you, save your money until you can make a significant change in your equipment, one that will really give you an audible difference.

Drew_W

Screenwriter

Yes, it is. I listen to very dynamic organ music, which needs to be cranked up about the same or more as classical music does (classical music is recorded at a lower volume than pop/rock whatever, the dynamics demand it, and the organ demands it to an equal or greater degree). It clips my Energy Take 5.2s. In the not too distant future, I'll upgrade my fronts too, but I need to find myself some solid amplification first, and my 225 doesn't have preouts.

So, back to the drawing board I guess. I'm just stuck for ideas, since the cost of a pre/pro is prohibitive at this point...I'd almost have to use a receiver.

Wayne, much as a 7200 would be nice to have, it's hard to find in Canada, where wholesale price on H/Ks is the retail price in the US.

I'm sure this isn't a calibration issue, I just plain and simple need more power. My upgraditis has a reason, and I need to figure out what to do. So many options...gah!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks