What's new

harman kardon avr 65 (1 Viewer)

Real Name
john brown
Hello all I am sorry to get rid of this old workhorse but I am looking at vintage 70s amps so here goes. It comes with a remote...I am the original owner and bought it new. Asking $150 for it shipped but that price is not final and is negoiable....

65 Watt - 8 Ohm - 20 - 20000 Hz - THD 0.07% - 5 channel(s) 325 wat receiver

here is part of a review on it
You won't mistake a H/K AV receiver for anything else where frontal looks are concerned, and the AVR65 is every bit a H/K--clean, straight lines give the design a distinctly angular, almost utilitarian, solidity. Still, every function you need to run the unit is on the neatly aligned fascia. Build quality is pretty tight, though I did manage to yank out one of the RCA input jacks' outer screen with a Wireworld 'connect.

In many ways, the AVR65 is a mirror of the DD-equipped AVR45; most of the functions and features are identical, save the power rating and processing options. The AVR65 has a power output rating of 100 watts per channel into eight ohms, 10 more than the AVR45. In the case of the second point, Dolby Digital and Pro-Logic is joined by DTS operation (incidentally, the first in a H/K AVR), so it's all quite up to current specs.

In terms of inputs and outputs, there should be enough to handle most users' demands--four video (one's on the front panel) and two audio inputs, a coaxial and an optical digital input, along with a full set of pre-outs and a discrete 6-channel input (a welcome addition) make up the list. As for video switching, S-Video is comprehensively thrown in for the ride, with three inputs and two outputs (monitor and record) the magic number.

All good and fine, though I'd have liked to have seen more digital inputs on the AVR65. A couple more, preferably of the coax variety, wouldn't have gone amiss; these days, it's not uncommon to have more than one main source, and in my case, it proved a tough call on deciding which of the source machines--DVD, CD and LD (not quite done in completely, yes?)--got the coax feed. Speaking of which, a built-in AC-3RF demodulator would also have been nice, and it really doesn't cost that much to have one on, does it, H/K?

Elsewhere, the remote control is the increasingly-common South Korean-made Sl-8000 learning remote. The unit is also to be found shipped with the Rotel RX-965 AVR (but much better in terms of assigned function designation. Rotel's implementation of its form is atrocious, to say the least) and, as I recently found out when it arrived, the Golden Theater GTX-1 HT processor/preamp (though in this case the unit has a LCD display indicator on the top end of the assembly). Oh, a 30-station random preset FM/AM tuner section, though there's no RDS.

Performance

The unit was mainly assessed against the vaunted Sony STR-DA50ES, a unit priced slightly higher than the AVR65 but well within the sub-RM4,000 price bracket level the H/K resides in. Also, coming in from a useful term spent with the AVR45 helped in defining the AVR65's abilities and advancements, if any, in relation to the former.

Now, at the beginning of the review, I mentioned that it'd been a long time since H/K had turned any two-channel stereo tricks really worth hollering about in its products. Well, the AVR65 does warrant a holler or two. No, it isn't quite the AVR30, but this incarnation is just about the best I've heard from H/K since then. It's not that the sound is big or bold--the AVR85, if memory serves, for example, had that also. Rather, it is about a sense of accessibility, a coming together in final form missing from previous offerings.

As such, what's on has drama and bite, but is now aided with a scopeful insightness and improved sense of tactility. No, I haven't gone bananas in using these descriptive terms; after all, this is an AV receiver, and no amount of manipulation or clever words can change that. The bottom line is that there's a certain emotive quality, a fundamental rightness in the sound, one missing since the halcyon days of the AVR30.

It's not perfect, of course. The sound is still a little congested in the lower midband (in overall terms, the Sony is cleaner across the board, though a little tonally lighter from the midband up), the top end, while detailed and clean, is a ways away from thoroughbred silkiness, and the slight forwardness in the balance can, through equally bold and dominant loudspeaker partners, be ultimately tiresome in stereo over a long run. Still, there is much to like, very much, really, and the pros of an open, dynamic sound, with a wide stage and above average separation aspects far outweigh the cons.

In surround sound operation, the AVR65 is equally competitive, and kept pace with the class-leading STR-DA50ES nicely, if differing in final scope. In both DD and DTS (more so), the Sony sounded more open in terms of envelopment and separation, but the AVR65's excellent sense of dynamics and sheer muscularity of projection made for a fuller, more dramatic presentation. Both AVRs have their strong points, and while ultimately I'd still hedge my money on the Sony (if HT was my primary concern), it's a pretty close call. Both ultimately size up well for prospective buyers, and how the vote goes will depend on the material that'll primarily feed each. Action genre fans, look no further.

Conclusion

In all, a high-scoring achievement, the AVR65. Its stereo performance surprised me, being of an order much higher than I was expecting, and the closest H/K have come to replicating since the AVR30. Add to that a big, gripping sound in its intended field of battle, home theatre, and it's a nice, tight package on the whole, one worthy of recommendation. Welcome back, H/K.

thanks for looking

Real Name
john brown
just make me an offer folks anything reasonable I'll consider, new house, cleaning out...thanks

Real Name
john brown
$140 shipped offer is pending from someone so no guarntee on sale, waiting for response from him first but this is what I am selling it for now if he changes his mind

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks