What's new

Harman Kardon Onyx Studio Review (1 Viewer)

SoundReview

Auditioning
Real Name
Johnny
These days there are a million different portable speaker devices out there with varying degrees of functionality. This review will be focused on the Harman Onyx Studio. Right off the bat, you should know this speaker system’s key selling points are its portability, its use of Bluetooth, its stellar power, and its unique design. If you want something easy to use that will kick out the jams in no time, the Onyx Studio has got you covered.

Design and Features

To mention the obvious, this matte black device looks just like a UFO. While this may not appeal to some, I imagine there will be plenty buying it in part because they dig the UFO aesthetic. Whether or not it’s design appeals to you is pretty much contingent on your appreciation of sci-fi. Either you’re into sci-fi or you’re not. If you’re in the latter camp, maybe the Onyx Studio isn’t for you.
Harman-Onyx-Studio-side.png

Moving on, the Onyx Studio has 4 Speakers: two 3-inch woofers, and two ¾-inch tweeters. It also has two passive radiators. If you don’t believe me, you can pop the hood and verify for yourself by removing the front fabric mesh grill. On the back it has a helpful handle to get from A to B. When you’ve finally decided where a UFO would look best in your home, it has nice chrome legs on the back to prop it upright. Unfortunately, these are not adjustable legs. It is marketed as a portable device when actually it’s a bit cumbersome due to its bulky design. It’s not exactly something that’s easy to just throw in your back before a hiking trip. At the very least it is lightweight and has a well-placed handle. Essentially, it’s great for moving about the home!
Harman-Onyx-Studio-wireless-speaker-rear.png

In terms of buttons and gadgets, things are pretty basic. We’ve got a Bluetooth button, a power button, and your stand plus and minus volume controls. Strangely, the Onyx Studio is a bit lacking in extra ports for extended functionality. Most of these systems usually have an auxiliary cable or a USB charger port. Instead, this system only has a micro USB port and a power input. It’s said that the micro USB port is for updating the software, but I haven’t the foggiest what this might entail. They’re speakers, what could possibly be updated? Maybe they’re working on giving it the ability to fly. I don’t know. In the meantime, it would have been nice for them to let me charge my phone.

Performance

For a portable speaker system, the Onyx Studio is incredibly powerful. You’ll definitely have no trouble filling up any room in the house with this— unless you live in a mansion. Its low end is very deep and wide, and its mids are also quite warm. With such bass-heavy low end, the Onyx studio is totally ideal for blasting party music or for rocking out while doing chores around the house.

Harman-Onyx-Studio-Speaker-birdseye.png

However, some users have thought the highs were a bit flattened. So perhaps this thing won’t be the best for jazz and classical fans, but most with those preferences are already likely to have a dedicated stereo set up that better suits their needs. To be fair, since it’s running off Bluetooth, the audio quality can only be so great anyway. With a product like this, you’re mainly looking for portability, battery life, and volume over exquisite audio fidelity.

As compared to other portable speaker systems, like the JBL Xtreme, the Onyx Studio might be better suited for home use. Given the Onyx Studio’s somewhat bulky design, most are probably thinking of moving it around the home, yard, or back patio anyway.

Harman-Onyx-Studio-wireless-speaker-front.png

Meanwhile, something like the JBL Xtreme would be capable of boosting its bass and treble frequencies better—it’s also waterproof. I guess pool goers and waterfall enthusiasts are often dissatisfied with the lack of bass and treble in today’s recordings. But if you’re more of a homebodied music fan, the flat sound of the Onyx Studio is definitely more accurate and it’s low-end has a better range albeit less artificially boosted.
Harman-Onyx-Studio-wireless-speaker.png

The Onyx Studio is said to bring 5 hours of playtime when fully charged. But that might only be at a low volume. If you mix up your volume—like you probably would during a party— you’ll probably get more like 4.5 hours of playtime. This seems perfectly acceptable to me considering most places have outlets, and few outdoor activities last much longer.

Conclusion

While it was a bit expensive upon it’s initial release, it’s actually become astonishingly affordable at this point. On Gearbest you can pick it up for just $99. Considering its cool design, powerhouse performance, and the fact that it was once four times as expensive, that is a hell of a deal! It may not be the best for audiophiles or ideal for those looking to dance with Yetis in the Himalayas, but its still a whole lot of power to be easily moved around the home. If you’re looking for a great Bluetooth speaker system that’s reasonably portable, I’d highly recommend the Harman Kardon Onyx Studio.

Written by Daniel Lukacs from Soundreview.org, sponsored by Gearbest.

References:
YouTube Review
Comparison Review
Google Shopping Feedback

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks