What's new

Hanging method for theater posters so they won't fall or rattle? (1 Viewer)

JeffHayes

Stunt Coordinator
Hey guys,

I am in the final stages of decorating my home theater and would like to start adding posters and plaques to the walls. The one thing I am concerned about is having the poster frame or plaques rattle or even fall off the walls during a particularly intense bass scene or audio track. Is there a preferred method of mounting these frames other than the "balanced on a screw or finishing nail head"? I thought maybe adding some small rubber feet to the four corners of the frame's back might help with vibration or rattle, but I'm not real sure of the most secure method to hang these things in the first place.

Any thoughts?

TIA,
Jeff

Nick P

Second Unit
I use picture frame hanging hooks, one on each side of the top, and have never had one fall down. As for the rattling and vibration, I put foam insulation tape on the corners. Works very well in my setup.

JeffHayes

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks, Nick. Basically heard something similar over at AVS as well. Two picture hanging nails on the top and perhaps those sticky rubber feet/dots you can get at Wal-Mart or Home Depot.

Thanks again,
Jeff

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
If you want to be fancy, and have flat-hanging picture/poster/otherwise framed things, then there's the trick we use in the museum...

Take a piece of wood; say a 1"x3". Put it on a table saw, with the blade tilted to 45-degrees. Slit the wood down its length - so your frame-long piece of 1"x3" is now 1"x1.5" with the beveled edge down the middle.

Screw one piece to the wall, so that the angled face is pointed up, forming a "V" with the wall. Screw the other piece to the frame so that the point will fit into the "V."

If the frame has a recessed section that you can fit the 1"x3" in, then you're set. If not, you will probably need a balance piece of 1" wood at the bottom to hold the frame parallel to the wall.

Sounds like a lot of bother, but it works really well.. survives 6 million visitors/year; it can survive your sound system!

Leo Kerr
[email protected]

MikeWh

Second Unit
Leo's solution is aka a "French cleat" and is very useful for hanging heavier things. They are most effective, when they can span the width of two studs (by screwing the cleat into each stud).

I designed my large wall sconce and poster boxes with French cleats. Here is a picture I posted in another thread, showing how one might be used for hanging a fixed screen: http://home.earthlink.net/~sushinut/screenframe.gif

It's a very old trick most commonly used by cabinet makers. Also, you can buy steel cleats that mimic this hanging system, if you prefer not to deal with the woodworking.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks