What's new

Hammer Films Blu Ray in the U.S. (1 Viewer)

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
On Facebook, Kim Newman said he's recording a commentary for an Arrow Blu of Hammer's Hound of the Baskervilles. Not sure if this is just for the UK, or both the UK and US.

Wade Sowers

Second Unit
Real Name
Wade Sowers
I'm probably not remembering correctly, but I "think" I read Twilight Time is planning a Blu of HOUND OF THE BASKERVILLES.

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Wade Sowers said:
I'm probably not remembering correctly, but I "think" I read Twilight Time is planning a Blu of HOUND OF THE BASKERVILLES.

They are, they have it..Im curious to see how they will differ - I suspect Arrow would have more extras but you never know. Maybe TT will do a release similar to their Fright Night re-release

aPhil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Phil Smoot
Is it confirmed that Twilight Time will release the 1959 Hammer "The Hound of the Baskervilles"

Saw that Arrow announced several films for both UK and US but Hound was only listed for UK.

youworkmen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david
Yes - TT have confirmed they will be releasing it but it will be interesting to see if they are forced to region lock like Shock and Arrow.

For some reason TT seem to get preferential treatment and their MGM films are not locked but the ones from Shout and Arrow are.

aPhil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Phil Smoot
youworkmen said:
Yes - TT have confirmed they will be releasing it but it will be interesting to see if they are forced to region lock like Shock and Arrow.

For some reason TT seem to get preferential treatment and their MGM films are not locked but the ones from Shout and Arrow are.

Thanks for the reply. The Cushing/Lee movie is one of my top 100 films. I like what Twilight Time is doing, but it takes a film like this Hammer Film to make me hit order at the $35 for movie + shipping.

I'm envious of the extras that are going to be on the UK version.

youworkmen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david
aPhil said:
Thanks for the reply. The Cushing/Lee movie is one of my top 100 films. I like what Twilight Time is doing, but it takes a film like this Hammer Film to make me hit order at the $35 for movie + shipping.

I'm envious of the extras that are going to be on the UK version.

Then no better excuse to get setup for multi region on Bluray.

A few years back when Hollywood was the main supplier locking titles was not as common , but with Hollywood licencing out so much content to different labels in different countries so requiring a region lock , the need for a MR player has never been higher.

There is a lot of content out there that gets released in one country that does not appear anywhere else.

Hound is one of the few where there is a region choice

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
I did a quick list of what's available to the US in either region A or region free, and it's still a somewhat questionable and slim list:

HAMMER SCI-FI/HORROR REGION A/FREE BLU-RAY

The Quatermass Xperiment (1955) Kino Lorber

The Man Who Could Cheat Death (1959) Legend - Double feature with The Skull (1965-Amicus)

The Brides of Dracula (1960) Final Cut Entertainment (UK)

The Evil of Frankenstein (1964) Final Cut Entertainment (UK)

Dracula: Prince of Darkness (1966) Millennium Entertainment

Frankenstein Created Woman (1967) Millennium Entertainment

Quatermass and the Pit (1967) Pulp Video (Italy) as "L'astronave degli esseri perduti"

The Vampire lovers (1970) Shout Factory & Entertainment One Films Canada Inc.

Hands of the Ripper (1971) Synapse & Entertainment One Films Canada Inc.

Twins of Evil (1971) Synapse & Paradox(Canada)

Vampire Circus (1972) Synapse & Paradox(Canada)

The Satanic Rites of Dracula (1973) fce - Ultimate Shockfest - 20 movies/480i!

Frankenstein and the Monster From Hell (1974) Happinet (Japan)

Horror Classics Volume One - 4 Hammer Film Set: The Mummy (1959); Dracula Has Risen From the Grave (1969);

Frankenstein Must Must Be Destroyed (1970); Taste the Blood of Dracula (1970) Warner Bros.

iaf6

Auditioning
Real Name
IF
Can anyone confirm that the Italian blu-ray of Quatermass and the Pit ("L'astronave degli esseri perduti") will play on Region A players? That would be a welcome surprise!

youworkmen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david
iaf6 said:
Can anyone confirm that the Italian blu-ray of Quatermass and the Pit ("L'astronave degli esseri perduti") will play on Region A players? That would be a welcome surprise!
If you have a Panasonic player the UK one will

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Patrick Donahue said:
Warner Archive just put up a bunch of pics of Hammer Horror titles on their Facebook page with the caption "Welcome to the Horror House!"
No indication, however, that any of these will be Blu-ray. They might just be re-issues of the old DVD's. So far the Archives have not released any box sets on Blu. Would be great if this was their first!

t1g3r5fan

Reviewer
Real Name
Mychal Bowden
And if I remember correctly, RAH hinted at least one of the Hammer Horror titles would be coming to Blu this year - whether it will come from the Archives or WHV, I can't say for sure

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
t1g3r5fan said:
And if I remember correctly, RAH hinted at least one of the Hammer Horror titles would be coming to Blu this year - whether it will come from the Archives or WHV, I can't say for sure
Actually what he inferred was that Warner Bros considered Hammer Films among their priorities for this year, so I suppose those films could all see the light of day. I'd be happy with CURSE OF FRANKENSTEIN done right, as it is (for me) the only Hammer film available from the U.K. that is unwatchable.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Actually what he inferred was that Warner Bros considered Hammer Films among their priorities for this year, so I suppose those films could all see the light of day. I'd be happy with CURSE OF FRANKENSTEIN done right, as it is (for me) the only Hammer film available from the U.K. that is unwatchable.
Yeah it's awful, & I really don't care for the blued-up look of the previously lush looking Dracula. The Mummy is not too bad. It will be interesting to see what Warner comes up with. I'd love a great looking, She, I loved it when I saw it at the pictures.

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Dick said:
No indication, however, that any of these will be Blu-ray. They might just be re-issues of the old DVD's. So far the Archives have not released any box sets on Blu. Would be great if this was their first!

Im very sure that they are doing blu rays.. It wouldnt surprise me at all if they did a Hammer box set except this would be the blu ray counterpart. Whatever the case may be, I hope they take the time to remaster them and give them excellent treatment.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Assuming they time them for an October release, we may not hear any details until mid-summer. And that's if they come through WHV. If they come through Warner Archive we may not hear anything until September.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
BTW, is there any kind of master list of what each US distributor has? In regards to Warner, is it just these seven titles?

The Curse of Frankenstein (1957)

Horror of Dracula (1958)

The Mummy (1959)

Dracula Has Risen from the Grave (1968)

Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed (1969)

Taste the Blood of Dracula (1970)

Dracula A.D. 1972 (1972)

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
They also have:

She

Crescendo

Moon Zero Two

When Dinosaurs Ruled the Earth

Brandon Conway said:
BTW, is there any kind of master list of what each US distributor has? In regards to Warner, is it just these seven titles?

The Curse of Frankenstein (1957)

Horror of Dracula (1958)

The Mummy (1959)

Dracula Has Risen from the Grave (1968)

Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed (1969)

Taste the Blood of Dracula (1970)

Dracula A.D. 1972 (1972)

youworkmen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david
Warner posting House of Horror is promising as none of their Warner Archive releases so far could be called horror in the usual Hammer sense. ( or have they reissued previously pressed discs?)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks