What's new

Hammer Films Blu Ray in the U.S. (1 Viewer)

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
It is possible for them to do a Hammer set before October, some of us horror die hards watch scary gory horror films all year round

Also, Warner on a Facebook post said When Dinosaurs Ruled the Earth has been discussed for blu ray.. but if it does, it wont contain the nude scenes which is why their DVD was pulled off the market :)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I just don't quite see the Hammers coming out on Blu through the Archives, but anything is possible. My guess is, whatever happens, it won't be until at least August.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Dr Griffin said:
I did a quick list of what's available to the US in either region A or region free, and it's still a somewhat questionable and slim list:

HAMMER SCI-FI/HORROR REGION A/FREE BLU-RAY

The Quatermass Xperiment (1955) Kino Lorber

The Man Who Could Cheat Death (1959) Legend - Double feature with The Skull (1965-Amicus)

The Brides of Dracula (1960) Final Cut Entertainment (UK)

The Evil of Frankenstein (1964) Final Cut Entertainment (UK)

Dracula: Prince of Darkness (1966) Millennium Entertainment

Frankenstein Created Woman (1967) Millennium Entertainment

Quatermass and the Pit (1967) Pulp Video (Italy) as "L'astronave degli esseri perduti"

The Vampire lovers (1970) Shout Factory & Entertainment One Films Canada Inc.

Hands of the Ripper (1971) Synapse & Entertainment One Films Canada Inc.

Twins of Evil (1971) Synapse & Paradox(Canada)

Vampire Circus (1972) Synapse & Paradox(Canada)

The Satanic Rites of Dracula (1973) fce - Ultimate Shockfest - 20 movies/480i!

Frankenstein and the Monster From Hell (1974) Happinet (Japan)
A good list, but a sort of pathetic one, too, if you see my point. The UK has about three times this many, including all the classics.

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
It would be Warner Home Entertainment, not the Archives if they are coming out on bluray..fingers crossed ! :)

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
David Steigman said:
It would be Warner Home Entertainment, not the Archives if they are coming out on bluray..fingers crossed ! :)

Warner Archive has released Blu-ray discs.

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I know that.. Im referring to the Hammer titles on blu ray such as Horror of Dracula etc..those would most likely come from WHV and not WAC

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Considering WA put out titles as popular as Yankee Doodle Dandy and Out of the Past, I don't think it's a stretch to think that they would handle the Warner Hammer titles - especially since they already stream them on Warner Archive Instant. I welcome them regardless of which division releases them as long as they do a good job. The HD versions on Instant Archive look pretty good but could be better

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
So any other Hammer flicks that need adding to the list other than the four coming out from Warners in October?

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
Tony J Case said:
So any other Hammer flicks that need adding to the list other than the four coming out from Warners in October?

I haven't seen anything concrete, but expect more from Warner.

PODER

Supporting Actor
Real Name
PETER JABLONSKI
Wasn't there a Hammer Blu-Ray set due out today that included THE BEAST FROM 20,000 FATHOMS, MIGHTY JOE YOUNG, SONG OF KONG and THEM? I've had it down in my To Buy book, but now I can't find it anywhere. Any thoughts or updates on this?

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
PODER said:
Wasn't there a Hammer Blu-Ray set due out today that included THE BEAST FROM 20,000 FATHOMS, MIGHTY JOE YOUNG, SONG OF KONG and THEM? I've had it down in my To Buy book, but now I can't find it anywhere. Any thoughts or updates on this?
The Hammer set came out yesterday. You're thinking of the Special Effects set. The street date of that was changed to 10/27.

aPhil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Phil Smoot
While I have heard and re-heard the story that the excellent transfer for the DVD of Brides of Dracula was destroyed in a fire, I certainly hope a USA Blu-ray will not be like that terrible European release — I have watched a friends copy of the Euro Blu-ray, and it is more than just an aspect ratio problem that kills it for me. The status of this film alone determines whether or not I will buy the Blu-ray.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Just speculation but i think that many will be surprised when this comes out. No; it's not Universals Original Monsters, but the Hammer films did play as a homage to those classics. With all the work that Universal has been doing, with restorations, new masters and releases lately (Jaws, Airport Collection). We may be in for a total surprise, and glad that we waited on this side of the pond, as long as they are correctly framed and presented with the same effort that WB put in its release i would be happy. Any extras would just be the icing on the cake, i know sometimes people complain about this release or that feature that didn't carry over, but its the presentation of the film that is important, if this matches
upload_2016-7-5_23-28-44.png

in visual presentation, then i will be happy with the end result. Now it in Universals hands, Hopefully, this will lead to som Classic 50's Sci-Fi being announced, love to hear some Jack Arnold titles were on their way as well.

aPhil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Phil Smoot
Dana Martin:
I really hope that you are correct. The Classic Monsters Blu-ray box set is my favorite Blu-ray purchase of all.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks