What's new

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
Next questions -- why are (or just are) some players apparently more affected than others. If Sony's are drastically worse or exacerbating
the issue does this become something a firmware update could fix. Are those players reading a flag or something on the disc differently.

If two people -- one seeing the synch and the other not -- visited the other persons HT would the issue exchange. IOW -- is it the person or the equipment. So far I haven't seen too many mention that people watching the exact same viewing are having different opinions

Is it the player, the player/receiver interaction, is it some/mostly viewer sensitivity. Like DLP rainbows in the past, can someone be taught to see them and more importantly if you didn't see them before why would you want to learn how?

Pictureman

Agent
Real Name
Frank
My disc is still in the post but I don’t expect to have a problem because I believe the issue is not with the disc or the player, it’s the TV display. Users need to go through the settings and turn off all picture enhancements, noise filters etc. BFI and some other distributors include a note in their packaging advising this.

I had problems playing the French issued “Night Passage” on a Sony TV, using a Sony and a Panasonic player. When I sent the picture to my projector from the same players the sound was perfectly in sync. This led me to look at the TV settings, which had several enhancements on by default. Turning them off sorted the problem.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
A tenth of a second. Wow. I know what rubbery synch is, but a tenth of a SECOND? :) But for me and many others here, there isn't even that, so that is why I keep saying it has to be a player issue (or see pictureman's post above mine - he offers a different but equally likely theory) . I used to have a Samsung player (before my two Oppos) and everything was rubbery on that player, every single disc. And every single one of those discs played perfectly on the Oppo. So what are my options as to what I think: All those discs were out of synch and my Samsung was not to blame (but somehow they all played perfectly on another player), or, the discs were fine and the player was at fault for whatever reason. I'm just not sure what in the authoring phase could occur that would cause a synch problem that only affected certain players.

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
Still seems odd that it only affects half the movie that seems to coincide with the original intermission. At least so far everyone reporting seems to indicate it starts almost the identical place.
The problem is I don't know enough technical details of how the A/V stay in synch through the chain to dissect anything

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
My disc is still in the post but I don’t expect to have a problem because I believe the issue is not with the disc or the player, it’s the TV display. Users need to go through the settings and turn off all picture enhancements, noise filters etc. BFI and some other distributors include a note in their packaging advising this.

I had problems playing the French issued “Night Passage” on a Sony TV, using a Sony and a Panasonic player. When I sent the picture to my projector from the same players the sound was perfectly in sync. This led me to look at the TV settings, which had several enhancements on by default. Turning them off sorted the problem.
What you say is perfectly true. Picture enhancements like frame interpolation will cause the picture to lag behind, which is why players and receivers offer audio delay settings in the first place, to compensate for this. However this would effect everything you watch, not just one disc. I would speculate that the reason you had problems with Night Passage would be because this disc is slightly out of sync (I'm not saying this as a fact since I don't have the disc) and when you cumulatively add the disc's sync issue with the TV's processing, it was noticeably out for you, and eliminating one of the factors brought the synchronization closer and therefore made the disc's inherent sync problem no longer noticeable.

pinknik

Second Unit
Real Name
Greg
Not the same issue exactly but . . . just this evening I tried to play the DVD of The Frightened City. On my first choice of Blu-ray player the disc froze after 18 seconds, before even the menu had appeared. I tried three times. I put the disc into another Blu-ray player: no problem. For interest, I tried the disc with a third machine: again no problem. I put this disc back into the first machine and again it froze at 18 seconds. It is obvious that some of these problems are player related.

I have a Simpsons disc that wigs out in my PS3, at the exact same moment every time I try it, but plays fine in every other machine I try. No trouble with any other disc in the PS3. Weirdness.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I have a two disc Bruce Springsteen live concert DVD and for whatever reason, my Oppo will not let me get past the menu on Disc 2. Plays absolutely fine on the half dozen or so other players I've had and/or still have before I got the Oppo.

3D Projectionist

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Lenny
For what its worth the only 3D disc in our collection which is faulty will be A*P*E but as mentioned before if we play it backwards for a couple of seconds then forwards its fine for the duration. So love that 3D movie.

Our 3rd viewing of Gun Fury 3D went off without a hitch also worth mentioning how I project it re settings.
7 year old Sony 3D player, 1 gold end HDMI cable up to a DLP 3D projector. The projector switches to 3D with high power lamp and the player is as it came out of the box with no tweaking. Sound is into my ancient Valve amp by 2 phono's.
The above sound rig I always use for the classic 50's films to try and mimic cinema of the day and the valves give a beautiful rich sound topping off our shows. The digital rig I keep for more recent films..

It would be interesting to read of other setups who have experienced problems and also if they have tried to revert back to all factory settings or even try a analogue audio feed? Is the sound out if listened to the speakers in your video projector rather than external?

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
For what its worth the only 3D disc in our collection which is faulty will be A*P*E but as mentioned before if we play it backwards for a couple of seconds then forwards its fine for the duration. So love that 3D movie.

I had a problem with A*P*E and fixed it the same way as above.

mark brown

Supporting Actor
Watched Gun Fury on Friday. Plopped in the disc and it played without a hitch as all of my TT have so far!

GaryMiller

Auditioning
Real Name
Gary
Thanks for the insightful review. I was a little gun shy about purchasing Gun Fury after reading some of the comments, but thankfully had no synchronization issues. (Samsung BD-J7500 and BenQ HT2050). Was this release re-authored at some point?

I thought I had seen damned near every 50's Western, and was certain I would recall Gun Fury a few moments into the movie. I was wrong. I had no memory of it, but found Gun Fury very entertaining! It's not a great western, but a very good one, and I'm in full agreement with Matt about the 3D implementation.

Watching 50's technicolor in 3D is as close as we'll ever get to time travel, and seeing Donna Reed, America's original MILF, come back to life in "Amazing 3D" was...amazing! However, New Jersey native Phillip Carey wasn't a very inspired choice as the lead villain. Slayton was a fairly complex character as written, but the role needed someone that could ooze an oily "bless-your-heart" southern charm. Randolph Scott, cast against type, would have been perfect.

I hope Twilight Time continues restoration work on 50's 3D titles. I'm very grateful to have this and Inferno in my collection.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Gary, the 3-D restoration on INFERNO was done by the late Dan Symmes and GUN FURY was done by Grover Crisp and his team at Sony.

Twilight Time simply released the finished masters.

Inferno, as I'm sure has already been mentioned, is exquisite.

Dan_Shane

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan Shane
Definite audio sync issue in the second half of the film using my LG UP870. Not bad enough to want to return a rare 3-D western, but absolutely noticeable.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Gary, the 3-D restoration on INFERNO was done by the late Dan Symmes and GUN FURY was done by Grover Crisp and his team at Sony.

Twilight Time simply released the finished masters.

Inferno, as I'm sure has already been mentioned, is exquisite.
It is indeed. I have the Panamint region-free disc struck from the same master.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks