What's new

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
3 user reports on bluray having synch issues in the second half of the film. It seems as usual with audio synch issues others not seeing the same issue. Any reports here of folks having issues particularly starting 45-50 minutes -- maybe 80-100 ms

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Although there is one shot that for some reason isn’t in 3D. It’s at about the 12 minute mark with Hudson and Reed at the dinner table. It’s about a 5 second shot. Curious.

The camera probably malfunctioned that day, or something along those lines. In the 3D version of "Hondo" for instance, there's about one or two minutes of the film that's in 2D (a few shots scattered throughout) where the 3D rig was malfunctioning on the set and the filmmakers couldn't afford to halt production any longer to figure it out, so there are just a few 2D shots in the film.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
3 user reports on bluray having synch issues in the second half of the film. It seems as usual with audio synch issues others not seeing the same issue. Any reports here of folks having issues particularly starting 45-50 minutes -- maybe 80-100 ms
Yup. I had major sync issues in the second half of the film. Almost unwatchable for me but I wabted to finish the film. Thought it was my player but other films played fine. Might have to return it. Disappointing.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Yup. I had major sync issues in the second half of the film. Almost unwatchable for me but I wabted to finish the film. Thought it was my player but other films played fine. Might have to return it. Disappointing.

I haven't watched mine yet, but Twilight Time in general is very responsive to both Facebook posts and on this forum. I would strongly suggest that anyone experiencing issues with this disc should reach out to TT on one or both of those platforms, and note in their letters the make and model of their players in addition to timecodes where the sync issues can be most clearly noticed. This will make it easier for them to investigate the issue and come up with a remedy.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I'm with Tino: a flat shot and a very annoying sync issue in my copy of Gun Fury.

Like I said to Tino, I would strongly suggest that you reach out to TT directly with these observations -- the more information they get, the more likely it is that they will look into the issue and seek a fix. It's possible that it's a firmware issue on players, it's possible that something went wrong during the authoring phase, and it's possible that something is wrong on the master itself. Now, I saw the 3D DCP last year, and I didn't notice any sync issues -- that said, it was the fourth 3D film I was seeing in a row, and at the end of a long day, so I could have missed something.

Have you guys checked 2D playback in the same spot of the disc? It's also possible that it's actually fine, but that an error in the 3D authoring is causing an issue. TT has had unspecified issues with 3D authoring in the past that caused them to delay the release of at least one of their 3D titles (Harlock Space Pirate), so perhaps that issue has come up again.

If anecdotally, TT just happen to see a stray post mentioning an issue, it may or may not get addressed. But I feel that it's much more likely to happen if they're getting highly specific comments about what to look for and where, sent directly to their attention. Afterall, the goal isn't just to get a refund for the purchase; the goal is to have a corrected version issued.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
I've only watched the 2-D version, but the ONLY shots in this film, whether long, medium, or close that are "soft" are opticals and there are a lot of 'em. It's not hard to figure out where they are and how long they last because the minute they cut out of the optical all is well, sharpness-wise. The opticals in Gun Fury are especially poor - simply compare to Beneath the 12-Mile Reef's opening credits, which are, of course, an optical. But Reef does it right within the film itself as the opticals are cut in short and therefore you're back to original footage the second the dissolve or fade is done.

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
If I had noticed any sync issues when I reviewed it, I certainly would have mentioned it. I didn't notice any.

I figured you would have, but it seems about 50/50 on reports noticing it and those not. I think the 2 or 3 professional reviews so far have not mentioned an issue.

Not sure if there are different batches of discs, an equipment interaction, or something else. I don;t have the disc to test, but figured the more people checking their discs instead of waiting on the watch late pile might shed some light.

It would really be interesting for those with multiple setups to check on different machines whether the delay is found or not on first views. Even something as simple as running through a receiver vs directly to the TV to see if there is some interaction in play

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Not sure if there are different batches of discs, an equipment interaction, or something else.

That's why I was offering the advice that customers experiencing issues should contact Twilight Time directly, either through Facebook or on this forum through a PM. They are extraordinarily responsive to their customers, a pleasure to deal with, and the more information they get, the better they'll be able to respond.

As someone who used to work for a smaller home video label, every bit of information that the customer can provide is extremely useful in coming up with a diagnosis and a fix.

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
I didn't notice any sync issues.
I watched it tonight on a Panasonic player connected to a DLP projector. Absolutely NO audio sync issues throughout the film. I have one of my player's HDMI outputs directly to the projector, the other to my receiver for audio.

I thought the white balance could have been better in a lot of scenes and would have liked a little more overall brightness.
As has been brought up before, there are a lot of head-to-toe opticals in this film. Damn, I wish all 35mm flims would have had their fades and dissolves A/B rolled. Nice 3-D depth in this one.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Tino,

What player do you have and how do you have it connected? For instance, I utilized both HDMI outputs on my Oppo 203 in which one is connected to my LGOLED65E6P for video while the other output is connected to my Yamaha 3060 for audio.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Tino,

What player do you have and how do you have it connected? For instance, I utilized both HDMI outputs on my Oppo 203 in which one is connected to my LGOLED65E6P for video while the other output is connected to my Yamaha 3060 for audio.
I have the Samsung UHD player connected to my Yamaha receiver which is connected to HDMI 2 on my LG OLED.

Gonna try it on my other Samsung 3D setup in another room.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I watched it tonight on a Panasonic player connected to a DLP projector. Absolutely NO audio sync issues throughout the film. I have one of my player's HDMI outputs directly to the projector, the other to my receiver for audio.
I also used a Panasonic player for the review - a 310 which is by far the best Blu-ray player I have ever owned.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I've only watched the 2-D version, but the ONLY shots in this film, whether long, medium, or close that are "soft" are opticals and there are a lot of 'em. It's not hard to figure out where they are and how long they last because the minute they cut out of the optical all is well, sharpness-wise. The opticals in Gun Fury are especially poor - simply compare to Beneath the 12-Mile Reef's opening credits, which are, of course, an optical. But Reef does it right within the film itself as the opticals are cut in short and therefore you're back to original footage the second the dissolve or fade is done.

This has been a distracting issue for a number of films (GIANT, etc), but in 3D they seem to be accentuated. THOSE REDHEADS FROM SEATTLE is another example. Still love these releases, though.

Clayking38

Agent
Real Name
Rich
It's possible that footage for that scene was damaged on one of the L-R elements and could only be flat.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks