What's new

Danoldrati

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dan Oldrati
Be that as it may, TT have a duty of care to correct this issue whether that be through replacement or refund. I would encourage everyone who is affected by this issue to contact TT and ask for assistance.

Has there been any official response by TT? Have they even acknowledged the issue?
Hi
TT will give you a refund but they are not going to fix the problem. That's the information I got from Screen Archives.

Kiwitutor

Agent
Real Name
Peter
Hi
TT will give you a refund but they are not going to fix the problem.

Well that's an acknowledgement in my book. I trust they will no longer sell the badly mastered product now a defect has been identified (and won't rectify it by the sounds of it).

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
Well that's an acknowledgement in my book. I trust they will no longer sell the badly mastered product now a defect has been identified (and won't rectify it by the sounds of it).

It's an acknowledgement by a retailer that sell the disc that they will be happy to refund you if you aren't happy (as is SAE reputation). Nobody at SAE has any technical information about the disc and I'm almost certain they have little idea what investigative stage TT is at yet.
The disc is only a week old. I'm happy to give TT at least some time to figure out the issue.

There are enough TT people here and on Bluray.com and Facebook that I'll be happy to hear what they determine the problem is and why so many (but nowhere near all) are having the same issue.

Indicator who has (or had) has as strong a customer service reputation and disc production rep as any company in the business is now months into their Sinbad boxset issue and are just now getting around to getting replacement discs to the customer. Their reputation took a big hit b/c they didn't announce a replacement disc 3 days after customers first realized there was a problem and furiously turned on them . Nobody even gave them a reasonable time period to figure out what was going on before the Fire and Brimstone rained down. They were Careful, slow, and very deliberate to get the message out, but "we know there is an issue and we have a remedy in place and a timeframe figured out" was not what folks wanted -- they basically wanted everything yesterday. Indicator would probably have been much better off to give intermittent status updates instead of waiting until the the last step. TT is probably at step 1 right now trying to figure if the encode is at fault, is a flag being misread by some player/receivers, if only some discs are affected. If all the discs are the same, but on their equipment a 'Faulty' disc plays fine. Is there a firmware solution is a certain brand/group of players are missing a properly coded flag.

"We've heard there might be an issue and we're looking into it. Be Patient and we''l get back ASAP"
"There was a problem and we're trying to get to the bottom of it"
"We've Identified the issue, but not sure of a solution yet, but we're talking with SOny and the principals involved"
"Here's the solution, but we can't nail the timeframe yet"
"Here's the final process and replacement"

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
It's directed at me, I know. But this isn't about me. It's about HTF. Are you going to get mad at people like me who offer you the truth about something, or are you going to get mad when shills infiltrate your boards and offer alternative "theories" about particular products? Do a little digging and you'll find yourself on my side.

I mean, if there was a cookie-baking contest, and my mom was one of the contestants, I think there'd be a ton of unhappy folks if it turned out I was the judge. Same dynamic here. If a Blu-ray was released that featured an obvious defect, I think there'd be a ton of unhappy people if it turned out the distributor's buddy appeared online to report with 99 percent assurance the defect is not the disc, but everybody's equipment. It's fine to make the claim, but at least add the disclaimer about who you are.
This isn't up for debate! Please stop making personalized comments towards other people on this forum. Address the issue with this disc all you want, but stop making personal references towards other HTF members. Furthermore, I'm not mad at anybody, I just want us to discuss this disc problem without it turning into a heated personal dispute between HTF members. We try to practice civil discourse here and it's my job to maintain it.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
I'm one who experienced the sync problem on 3 different Blu-ray players (all Sony, because I'm loyal to the brand) and you know what? I'm still happy to have the disc and I am keeping it forever. I passed the information to Twilight Time and they thanked me for letting them know. I was able to watch the movie in its entirety with a 70 millisecond delay added and it was just fine. It got the second half synced up close enough to be within my own personal tolerance without throwing out the first half. When it comes to sync issues, there is always a wide range of experiences because everyone perceives it differently. Some people won't notice a 50 millisecond offset while others are super sensitive to even a 10 millisecond offset. One thing is certain, when a sync problem pops up, you will hear about it on enthusiast forums.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
It's directed at me, I know. But this isn't about me. It's about HTF. Are you going to get mad at people like me who offer you the truth about something, or are you going to get mad when shills infiltrate your boards and offer alternative "theories" about particular products? Do a little digging and you'll find yourself on my side.

I mean, if there was a cookie-baking contest, and my mom was one of the contestants, I think there'd be a ton of unhappy folks if it turned out I was the judge. Same dynamic here. If a Blu-ray was released that featured an obvious defect, I think there'd be a ton of unhappy people if it turned out the distributor's buddy appeared online to report with 99 percent assurance the defect is not the disc, but everybody's equipment. It's fine to make the claim, but at least add the disclaimer about who you are.

Since this is being directed squarely at me I'm happy to address this, despite the nastiness, which I shall ignore. Shill? No. Am I friends with the owner of Twilight Time? Of course, as you well know. But that gentleman knows I call it straight, always. I don't shill for him, his label, or anyone else. I'm not sure what in my post you're not understanding - I said that 99% of the time THESE synch problems are player problems. That leaves 1% for real problems, which of course there have been. Did you in your haste to take me on think I was ONLY talking about Gun Fury? Because 99% of THESE problems might lead a reasonable person to understand that I was not speaking solely of Gun Fury, but of the many films where people complained about synch problems that DID end up being player problems. Now, clearly some people are having synch issues with Gun Fury, and just as clearly an equal number are NOT having synch issues with Gun Fury. How can that be? It's the same exact Blu-ray. But to be more specific, MY copy of Gun Fury has no synch issues. As soon as this was brought up I went and watched it again looking really hard for them - didn't see 'em, same as some others here didn't see 'em.

I think that should take care of it and I'd appreciate it if you directed your snark elsewhere in future. Thanks.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
I'm one who experienced the sync problem on 3 different Blu-ray players (all Sony, because I'm loyal to the brand) and you know what? I'm still happy to have the disc and I am keeping it forever. I passed the information to Twilight Time and they thanked me for letting them know. I was able to watch the movie in its entirety with a 70 millisecond delay added and it was just fine. It got the second half synced up close enough to be within my own personal tolerance without throwing out the first half. When it comes to sync issues, there is always a wide range of experiences because everyone perceives it differently. Some people won't notice a 50 millisecond offset while others are super sensitive to even a 10 millisecond offset. One thing is certain, when a sync problem pops up, you will hear about it on enthusiast forums.

Thanks for a reasoned post. Of course, I think it would be interesting for you to try running the disc on a non-Sony player if that were at all possible.

3D Projectionist

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Lenny
Watched our disc and its fine on our Sony player but we are using a vintage valve stereo analogue amp in this screen so wonder if some of you are experiencing digital delay perhaps? Just a thought.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I'm not sure I would have noticed the sync problem if I had not read this thread because it's very minor but it starts at chapter 13 which is clearly just after the original intermission.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
I'm not sure I would have noticed the sync problem if I had not read this thread because it's very minor but it starts at chapter 13 which is clearly just after the original intermission.

In your estimation, how minor - people are saying it's HUGELY out of synch.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
In your estimation, how minor - people are saying it's HUGELY out of synch.

Less than half a second I'd say.
See, this is what I mean by synchronization being perceived so subjectively. It is of course nowhere near half a second (500 milliseconds) which would be an OUTRAGEOUS amount. Those of us who have measured it with audio delay settings have come up with 60-90 milliseconds (which is less than a tenth of a second), and that feels very significant to us but might not be to others.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
See, this is what I mean by synchronization being perceived so subjectively. It is of course nowhere near half a second (500 milliseconds) which would be an OUTRAGEOUS amount. Those of us who have measured it with audio delay settings have come up with 60-90 milliseconds (which is less than a tenth of a second), and that feels very significant to us but might not be to others.

OK Sorry about that. I'm sure you're right. I did say under half a second :). As II said, I probably wouldn't normally notice it.

3D Projectionist

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Lenny
Someone will eventually post how many sprocket holes for a 35mm print yet I am sure on here :eek: Let me see that will be 12 frames even!Nothing by way of that seen or heard when projecting it here, must be due to my old valve (tube) amp.:popcorn:

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I don't have this disc yet, but I was watching TT's The Mad Magician in 3D on my Sony player last weekend and thought there was a slight sync issue at times. I just chalked it up to the age of the film, though maybe it's something in the encoding used by TT's manufacturers that affects some Sony players (and maybe a small handful of others)?

My player is an older Sony BDP-BX58, but has the latest firmware available.

Twilight Time

Insider
Real Name
Twilight Time
The matter of sync is very subjective, and is strictly in the eye of the beholder. The problem with GUN FURY seems particularly unusual as it is not evident on every player and the majority of people who have purchased the disc are more than satisfied with it. However, for those who are seeing a problem and it adversely affects their enjoyment of the film, we have instructed SAE and the TT sites to offer a full refund to anyone who returns their disc. We think that is more than fair, and is really all we can do as the master is fine on many playback systems.

Todd J Moore

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Todd Moore
I noticed no issues when I watched it. I may give it another watch this weekend on a different player and an 8 foot screen.

I hope this doesn't deter you from releasing Gorilla at Large in 3-D next year.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
The matter of sync is very subjective, and is strictly in the eye of the beholder. The problem with GUN FURY seems particularly unusual as it is not evident on every player and the majority of people who have purchased the disc are more than satisfied with it. However, for those who are seeing a problem and it adversely affects their enjoyment of the film, we have instructed SAE and the TT sites to offer a full refund to anyone who returns their disc. We think that is more than fair, and is really all we can do as the master is fine on many playback systems.
No offense but how is a matter of sync “subjective and strictly in the eye of the beholder”??

Twilight Time

Insider
Real Name
Twilight Time
No offense but how is a matter of sync “objective and strictly in the eye of the beholder”??

Well, firstly we said "subjective" and not "objective" - and secondly, it is merely that some viewers are more susceptible to matters of sync than others. What bothers some, doesn't bother others etc.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Well, firstly we said "subjective" and not "objective" - and secondly, it is merely that some viewers are more susceptible to matters of sync than others. What bothers some, doesn't bother others etc.
Sorry I mistakenly said objective and corrected immediately.

It just sounded like you were suggesting we were “ seeing” things that aren’t there. No worries. I’m gonna play around with my settings to see if I can correct the sync problem. If not it’s nice to know you guys are offering full refunds for the problem. :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks