What's new

Great Job, Warner on "Them!" DVD! (1 Viewer)

Jeffrey Gray

Second Unit
Warner wants to give each classic film the best treatment they can get, and that's why they are trickling out...and BTW, VHS tapes and CDs used to say "Digitally MASTERED," not "Digitally REMASTERED." I think "Digitally Mastered" is more accurate than "Digitally Remastered," which everyone believes is a synonym for "restored."

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
I can't wait to get my hands on this baby. Hopefully one of the B&Ms around here will have it, but I'll probably have to order it online. I wish that they would have used the original poster art for the cover though. It's one of the absolute best movie posters ever made. I have a reproduction at home, as I couldn't afford the original.

As far as this film being filmed in color vs B&W, I'm definitely all for B&W. I saw some color footage of the ants in a documentary somewhere and I can definitely say that the impact would have been different.

Now bring on TARANTULA!!

THEM!!

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
My copy came today, along with STII and I just had to watch Them. I've never seen it look so good. Absolutely top-notch.

I saw something I've never noticed before. The female scientist, Pat, was using a camera that had three lenses on the front. I'm thinking one for the viewfinder and two for 3-D?

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Somewhere I had gotten the impression there was a short documentary on this dvd showing the ants in color. I guess not, because I sure can't find it.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
VHS tapes and CDs used to say "Digitally MASTERED," not "Digitally REMASTERED." I think "Digitally Mastered" is more accurate than "Digitally Remastered," which everyone believes is a synonym for "restored."
True, that just illustrates how misleading this sytax can be...I'm sure Robert Harris would have a thing or two to say about the liberal use of the term "remastered" in the video field! Heck...one can't even trust it when term "restored" is applied half of the time!
dave :)

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
Yes, the woman has a 3-D camera in that scene. It's a Stereo Realist, which were manufactured from about 1947-71. I have several of these. There a 2 lenses and the viewfinder is in between!

THEM was due to be shot in color and 3-D right up until budget cuts forced the them to go with flat black and white just a couple of days before shooting.

I guess the 3-D camera was in there as an inside joke.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
I take back my comment about the cover artwork. I swear that I saw a review somewhere showing the same crappy VHS cover art. Can't wait to watch this.

Dave Kalloch

Stunt Coordinator
That "crappy" VHS cover art is on most of the e-tailers sites. So, does the DVD have the original artwork?

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
Yes, it has the original poster artwork. I think that it is somewhat cropped, but I haven't done a comparison on it yet. I saw the artwork on The Digital Bits and it's the original VHS artwork. I went back and verified to make sure that I wasn't seeing things.
Edited:
I checked about 6 online retailers and all had the wrong artwork except www.dvdempire.com - They have the right artwork for both the front and back of the case. It appears that the whole design is there, but without a border, it feels like it is cropped.

Dave Kalloch

Stunt Coordinator
Very sweet
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif
I've got the VHS version, and that cover is hideous.
Very good news indeed!

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
My 1988 VHS copy of "Empire Of The Sun" states that it is Digitally Processed so apparently this is a practice that has been around for many years.
I got my copy of THEM today and look forward to watching it. One of the best most atmospheric classic sci-fi films ever made.:)

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor
Got mine today. SPECTACULAR! I never thought I'd see this movie look so good! Warner did a sensational job with this one. Gotta go...I have to watch it again!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks