What's new

Goodbye RP-82, Hello Toshiba 3800/4800! (1 Viewer)

Kwang Suh

Supporting Actor
The chroma bug seems to have been fixed this time. I don't see it on my Toy Story DVD where it was quite evident on my old Toshiba 5109.
You're probably confusing the chroma bug with the flicker bug. The 5109 had both bugs. The x750 series did not have the flicker bug. They did have the chroma bug, but far less severly than the 5109 did.

If the x800 series doesn't have the chroma bug, it'll be a miracle.

Brian O

Second Unit
Anyone know if Toshiba is planning on coming out with a multiple-disc Progressive Scan DVD-Audio player? I have gotten spoiled with my 3109 on two disc DVD and CD sets.

Brian O

Second Unit
Also, do the new Toshiba's still have problems with The Godfather Trilogy extras disc and Memento LE? Can any of you that have the 4800 and these DVDs check? It would be much appreciated. Thanks

Robert McDonald

Stunt Coordinator
Jim_B: I called Circuit City and they didn't even have it listed in their computer as a model they would be receiving in the future, so I ordered from Crutchfield. They have a 30 day return policy so I may want to A-B the 2 units if the 4800 is available locally.

David Coleman

Supporting Actor
I'd be really interested in how the anamorphic downconversion and the jpeg viewer works? Is it possible to save jpegs to a CD and view them on this player? Thanks for your responses.

David

HankS

Auditioning
The Toshibas have always been the least affected by the chroma bug. I do not see it on my SD-3800. The picture quality is outstanding. Layer change is less than a second.

David, the Digital Photo Viewer plays jpegs burned to disc, however, it has a problem with exif encoded files (or it's the nut behind the wheel). I'm in touch with a lurker who just happens to work for Planetweb Software, the developer, even though he did not work on this project which involved two DVD manufacturers - Samsung and Toshiba. The software is really nice though with lots of options. I'll update you when I figure out what I'm doing wrong regarding jpeg output. It also outputs Kodak Photo CD and Canon files.

The SD-3855 (3805?) is a multiple disc player. Check out the Tosh site.

Hank

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
I have no (zip, nada) use for any scaling/stretching features with my current setup. I do not stretch non-anamorphic discs. I do not need aspect ratio control for 4:3 material.

For my situation, do the Tosh units give me any improvement in picture quality over the Panny?

Han

Second Unit
(Homer Simpson voice) Good layer change, eh?
Here's a question: Analog outs w/DVD-Audio and coax/optical out w/ dd&dts out at the same time, has anyone tested if this can be done with the 4800?
Why? Because from what I can gather, using the 5.1 analog outs for both DVD-Audio and regular video means you won't get a Dolby Digital EX or DTS-ES signal. So are the digital outs and the 5.1 analog outs on all the time, or does there have to be an annoying navigating of the menus to switch which mode you want to use?

Eric Sevigny

Stunt Coordinator
Well, for those interested, I asked NBT electronics (online canadian retailer) when they expected to sell the new Toshibas (if at all) and was told that the latest availability dates were for late august/early september. So I am guessing local canadian retailers will have them by this time too.
EDIT: Toshiba.ca confirmed that authorized resellers will have the players in late august :frowning:

All audio outputs are on all the time. I a/b the outputs and was just switching input at the receiver, and that worked.

DTS not sent through the 5.1 though, only digital. I infer that because playing a DTS disc and switching inputs got noise only on the 5.1 analog outs.

Downconversion on the 4800 by the way is better than past toshibas but there is still shimmering on some things. I usually look at the Blade Runner dvd and look at the pyramid buildings during Deckard's spinner ride to the Tyrel Corp to meet Rachael. Shimmer was present all up and down the buildings that was not there after 1 level of zoom or switching to 4:3 version of the disc.

HankS

Auditioning
Here's inforation regarding the software from the Planetweb website. Notice the file types it supports, Hank.
================================================== =========
Three levels of functionality
As with all Planetweb applications, manufacturers can choose the level of features for each device, creating differentiated product lines.
Digital Photo Manager I (Basic)
View digital images on any normal television via a Planetweb-enabled DVD player
Display thumbnail previews
Show user-defined slideshows
Zoom, pan and rotate images
Additional features with memory card reader in hardware:
Basic photo editing such as flip, blur, filter and color adjust
Create/manage photo albums, including moving photos between albums
Prerequisites:
Memory card reader or other writeable media support in hardware
The Digital Photo Manager software handles the following data formats and sources:
Standard JPEG and (its subset) EXIF files
Kodak, Fuji, QSS (Noritsu) or Konica formatted multi-session Picture CDs
================================================== ==========
Yep, looks like it's the nut behind the wheel on this one - me! I've got some homework to do.
Regards,
Hank;)

Jim__B

Stunt Coordinator
HankS: I went to my BB today and they had both the 4800 and 3800 instock, but the prices were $217 and $170 and they were on sale this week also. I can't even find them on the BB site. I wonder if your BB was having some sort of special sale.

Quick few questions. The difference beteen the 2 is the DVD audio and the color am I correct. If that is the main difference I will be getting the 3800 over the 4800 and the Panny. Finally is this chipset used pretty comparable to the ones the Panny's use.
Thanks.

Jim -

That's about the difference. The 4800 comes with a much fancier remote control, as well. Also the 4800 has 5.1 channel analog outs.

Where I bought it, it was a $20 difference...so it seemed a no brainer to get the 4800, just to try DVD-A.

These units DO have the ability to do the rotate, zoom, etc with the jpgs.

AlbertH

Stunt Coordinator
Do you honestly think i will get a better picture/and/or sound out of this unit as compared to my 1 1/2 year old jvc vx-75gD????

AlbertH

Stunt Coordinator
Checked on my isf'ed 50h81 with my NEW 4800 and i did not really see this chroma bug. When I zoomed all the way I saw a little (just a little) red in the black tiles on the toy story checker board but I think it was just because i zoomed in soooo much. Otherwise everything looks great!

Sujeet Patel

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sujeet
I picked up the 4800 today from Best Buy. My local BB only had a floor model, and didn't know what the pricing was going to be. A BB about 30 miles away first quoted me $149 (WHAT?!), and then when I made the kid double-check, he came back with $179. Said it was on clearance. I asked him to triple check, as that still sounded too cheap. He said it was the 4800, and it was $179. So I had him hold it (he said it was the last one), and I drove down there.
The idiot messed up. The 4700 was $179, and the 4800 was $217. I raised hell, as I just wasted 60 miles because some moron couldn't read. They wouldn't give it to me for $179, but as I was standing in line to talk to the manager, the guy in the A/V department came and told me they'd give it to me for $199. I decided to get it, since I was already there.
Unfortunately, the 10% off for the BB card deal was only this past weekend, so no luck with that. eCost.com has it for $179, but shipping was close to $20. For me, the extra money I ended up paying with tax was worth it, in case something went wrong and I needed to return it. Plus, this way I have it in my hands tonight, and not next Monday. :)
I also picked up some Monster Component Video 2 cables.. Jeez, $69 for a 2m cable, I had no idea! (Again, eCost had them for $55, but they're on backorder for 6 weeks, I just couldn't win..) Hopefully they'll live up to the hype. I haven't gotten a chance to hook up the player yet, as I work nights, but I'll set everything up when I wake up and report back my findings on it. Hoping for the best, as I was determined to get an RP-82 before reading this thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks