Goodbye RP-82, Hello Toshiba 3800/4800!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Peter Loan, Jul 21, 2002.

1. Peter Loan

Peter Loan Second Unit

After putting my new RP-82 through its paces in the last couple of days, the resulting feeling was one of utter disappointment. The Pana player has the worst handling of non-anamorphic material from a unit since the Clinton regime left office. Their idea of handling 4:3 material on 16x9 sets that lock into full mode is switching the player into interlaced and then using your TV's aspect ratio settings. The Pana's zoom function doesn't even work on non-anamorphic discs, again forcing you to rely on your tv's aspect ratio settings.

By dumb luck, while browsing around at Best Buy during my lunch break, I came across the brand new Toshiba 4800 on sale for $199, $179 after my 10% Best Buy card discount. The impulse buyer within got the better of me and just this once, I'm glad that it did. Out of nowhere, amidst all of the moanings of the chroma bug, this one is a keeper my friends. The picture quality is excellent, chroma bug seems to have been squashed (never bugged me that bad in the first place), handling of non-anamorphic stuff is top notch, and the unit actually scales in progressive mode!

After turning on progressive scan and setting up the 4800's progressive 4:3 output to 4:3 rather than full, scaling is activated by pressing the zoom button. The onscreen display actually says enlarge when this mode is activated. How do I know that this isn't just zooming the picture to fit the screen? My 40X81 doesn't lock into full mode with progressive material so while viewing the scaled picture in the TV's 4:3 normal mode, the frame is stretched vertically as all anamorphic material would appear. For those of us who don't have the greenage to drop $500 on the RP-91, we finally have another choice. Thank you Toshiba!

2. Eric Sevigny

Eric Sevigny Stunt Coordinator

Nice little review Peter, thanks [​IMG] I am torn between the RP-82, Denon-1600 and the Toshiba, so it was useful to me.
    Some little questions (for you or anyone that may have the answers).
    1) Does it have the "Fl dimmer" button on the remote (like my old Toshiba 2109) that allows you to turn off the front panel display? (that's something I always liked and miss now)
    2) Does it show time as Hours:Minutes:Seconds? I hate players that simply display Minutes:Seconds!
    3) What deinterlacing chip does the new Toshiba uses?
    4) Do you know if there is a difference between the 3800 (no DVD-Audio capabilities) and 4800 (for audio and video quality)? I don't *really* need DVD-A... But, it's only a 50$ difference...
    5) How are the layer changes?
    6) Are the 3800/4800 available in Canada? I couldn't find them and when asked sales persons had no idea what I was talking about. www.toshiba.ca doesn't have those models too, only the 4700 and 3750 ?!

3. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Peter, good information there. I saw the '4800 for the first time last night at Best Buy. Of course, it wasn't connected to anything, but for the money it is well constructed. It also has a very small footprint, which is nice. From a build-quality standpoint, Toshiba did a nice job with this player for the money, and your experience further shows that.

By the way, I haven't seen the 'RP82 in a store yet. Did you get it at a brick-and-mortar store or by mail?

4. HankS

HankS Auditioning

Peter, I know what you mean about the quality and features of the Tosh, I just set up my SD-3800 and am beginning to get acquainted with it. Seems we have a Panny co-dependency working in some of the forums, if I may be candid. Side by side comparisons of the RP56 and SD-4700 reflects that the Tosh are of much higher quality regarding detail, etc.

The scaling feature works well on my interlaced RPTV too.

BTW, do you know what exif-jpegs need to be converted to for the Digital Photo Viewer to read them? The player plays jpegs, but apparently not those encoded with exif info per my experience and the viewer's manual. I'm shooting from a digital cam which sets up the files as exif-jpeg files.

Thanks for that info, and enjoy that Tosh. BTW, I got my SD-3800 for $160 shipped! Now, that is a real bargain! The SD-4800 for $179 is a steal too.

Enjoy,
    Hank

5. Robert C Wall

I, too purchased a 4800 yesterday. I tried to get info from various places (including this forum...which I agree seems to be an on-line ad for Panasonic and Sony...) [​IMG] but couldn't seem to find any.
    I also purchased an Onkyo 6 disk CD, these two together were replacing a toshiba 3109. I got the tosh for $180 and the onkyo for $150 at a B&M. BTW, I love the Onkyo. It works perfectly and sounds great.
    The 4800 is great in nearly all respects. The best DVD player I've ever seen, at least. Picture is noticibly improved over my 3109, which I didn't have complaints about.
    Features are very complete. The remote DOES have a "dimmer" button. The main difference between the 3800 and the 4800 is the DVD-A, but also the remote is a TV universal on the 4800.
    MP3 support is the only slight disappointment, as it is limited to 8 characters, however, I was impressed that it could navigate folders within the disc.
    One thing I am confused about: whether it sounds better using the 5.1 analog outputs or the digital out. As I understand it, the only way to take advantage of the 192mhz dac is to use the analog outs, right? For music material, at least, though, the digital out sounds fuller.

6. MikeSRC

MikeSRC Second Unit

The analog outputs are for six or two-channel 96kHz/24-bit DVD Audio. Regular CDs and DVDs will likely sound better through the digital outputs.

7. Robert C Wall

I understand this, and that CD output will always be 44khz 16 bit. Some audio on DVD's are authored at a higher rate, right? How do you find this out? If I'm doing a digital out, I'm limited to the 96khz dac in my receiver - aren't some DVD's made so that the audio actually exceeds this?

8. Marvin

Marvin Screenwriter

Marvin
    Yes, very interesting review. This is really complicating matters for me. I had sort of decided on the as yet unreleased Sony NS755V since I need a progressive scan DVD player and wanted either SACD or DVD-A as an extra.

But first I find out (from another thread) that the Sony 715 and therefore probably the 755 has the chroma bug, and has a poorer picture than the Panasonic RP62 (and I assume RP82).

Now I read that the Toshiba 4800 is better than the RP82. If I go with the Tosh 4800, this will save me about $100 and I don't really care that much about substituting DVD-A for SACD (there's not a whole lot I like in either format anyway).

I was just wondering if other people have done a comparison between the new Sony, Toshiba and Panasonic models and have come to the same conclusion.

Since the Sony has a 12bit/108mhz D/A converter, whereas the other two have 10bit/54mhz, is there really no advantage in the extra 2 bits and 54 mhz?

And how is the Toshiba at playing CD-R's and DVD-R's. Does it have any disadvantages I need to be concerned about?

9. Sujeet Patel

Sujeet Patel Stunt Coordinator

Ok, now I'm getting confused.. I had all but decided I was getting the Panasonic RP-82, but have been having a heck of a time finding one locally.. Now I'm hearing about the Toshiba 4800, and wondering if it might be better for me.

I have a Toshiba 55H70 (4:3 HDTV) and just want a decent progressive scan that doesn't suffer from the chroma bug, and can play MP3s. I heard that the RP82 can randomize the playback of MP3s, which is a real plus. Does the 4800 do this as well, or do you have to make up playlists?

Obviously, scaling doesn't matter to me, since I've got a 4:3 set, but want the best picture and features available.. Which one should I be leaning towards?

10. MikeSRC

MikeSRC Second Unit

None that I've heard of, only DVD Audio. The reason there's no video (other than stills) on a DVD-A, is that the 96kHz/24-bit audio takes up almost the entire DVD. Conversely, the DD and DTS tracks found on movie DVDs take very little space, and can be added to DVD-A discs. While the PCM audio specification for DVD-Video allows for sample sizes up to 24-bits and sample rates up to 96kHz for two channels, I don't believe there's a disc out there that has it, because there'd be no room for anything else.

The reason DVD-A is only available on analog outputs is the old copy protection fears that arise when any new digital format is released.

11. Robert C Wall

The 4800 does do random on MP3.

In my quick assesment of pictures in the store, against a Sony (can't remember the model) a toshiba 3700, and a panasonic 52, the 4800 seemed to have the best picture. However, I like the sharpness of toshiba pictures, compared to other manu. The store was a good one and I know that the sets were calibrated and set up correctly.

Picture on the 4800 run through a 16:9 toshiba RP was stunning. I don't have that, but it's quite fine on my 4:3 non progressive set, as well.

12. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Mike and Robert, there is a music format out called Digital Audio Disc or DAD. It is a stereo format that is encoded in 24/96 PCM. DADs can be played on DVD-Video players. The DAD format never really took off. A couple smaller record labels, Chesky Records and Classic Records, supported it for awhile, but with SACD and DVD-Audio available now with an option for multi-channel playback, the DAD has all but died. DADs are still available, but I am not aware of any labels still releasing them. DAD differs from DVD-Audio in that the latter uses MLP encoding, which requires special hardware for playback. MLP allows DVD-Audio discs to be encoded up to 24/192 for stereo and 24/96 for surround sound (5.1).

13. Robert McDonald

Robert McDonald Stunt Coordinator

How bad is the chroma bug in the 4800? If not too bad the RP-82 may be going back

14. Jim__B

Jim__B Stunt Coordinator

Robert,
    Did you get your 82 in Tallahassee? If so where, I went to Best Buy and the HT area worker said he did not know there was anything newer than the 62. He was really confused when I started asking about the 82. Circuit City didnot have it either and the guy could not find it in there system.

Now that I saw this post I am willing to look into the 3800/4800.

BTW does anyone know what chip these use?

15. MikeSRC

MikeSRC Second Unit

16. Ted Ross

Ted Ross Second Unit

I dont know what the "big" surprise is about the 4800. Its essentially a 4700 with a few minor changes/new casing & the 4700 has been out now for quite a while & was quite the capable player back then. the 3750/4700/5700 all have the Zoran Vaddis V chip.

17. Mike.D.K

Mike.D.K Stunt Coordinator

HankS where can I get the 4800 online? I tried my local Best Buy and they don't carry it. I tried to find it on the net and haven't had any luck.Hope someone can help me out. Thanks Mike

18. HankS

HankS Auditioning

Try ABT, that's where I got the SD-3800. BTW, my wife and I just got through watching A Beautiful Mind, and I am blown away regarding the quality of output, audio, quick layer change, etc.

Chroma smoma, there aint no bug here. Just in the minds of the Panny co-dependents.

Hank :b

19. Peter Loan

Peter Loan Second Unit

Eric,
    1)It has a dimmer feature.
    2)It displays the playtime as hours:mins:seconds
    3)Zoran Vaddis V Chip according to other forum members.
    4)DVD audio playback and a black exterior are the only differences I see between the 3800 and 4800.
    5)Layer changes are better than average...split second loss of digital signal through my preamp
    6)Can't help you with that Eric, but I am assuming they will be in Canada very soon.
    KeithH,
    I preordered my RP-82 from Onecall.com and I received it this Friday.
    HankS,
    It's weird but when I switch to interlaced mode on the 4800, the scaling mode seems to turn off and zooming occurs in its place. This lead me to believe that scaling only occurs in the player's progressive mode. I haven't messed around with the jpeg reader yet. You got a great deal there for the 3800[​IMG]
    Sujeet,
    My primary concern with my new DVD player was handling of non anamorphic material on my 16x9 so the 3800/4800 fit the bill nicely. For 4:3 sets, both the RP-82 and Toshiba 3800/4800 will do the job equally well.
    Robert,
    The chroma bug seems to have been fixed this time. I don't see it on my Toy Story DVD where it was quite evident on my old Toshiba 5109.

20. Peter Loan

Peter Loan Second Unit

oops