1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Good stuff coming to DVD-Audio soon.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by KeithH, Sep 16, 2002.

1. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

I just read on Audio Asylum that Miles Davis Tutu is supposed to be out on DVD-Audio next Tuesday (9/24). In addition, someone said that Yes Fragile will be out on October 1st and R.E.M. Automatic for the People and Neil Young Harvest will be out on October 15th. Hopefully this information is accurate. I'll believe it when I see it, but I am hopeful.

Does anyone else have information on these titles?

2. Michael St. Clair

I have no information, but as long as these releases include high-resolution stereo in addition to the new surround mixes, I will purchase them immediately upon release!

Even better, they might want to flag the stereo mixes as not requiring a downconversion, so that we can use digital bass management on the full resolution of the stereo mixes!

3. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Michael, these four new titles will be coming from Warner, so I fully expect them to have discrete stereo tracks. Warner only left off stereo tracks on a few early titles such as Emerson, Lake & Palmer Brain Salad Surgery and Natalie Merchant Tigerlilly.

4. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

Keith,

I have Miles Davis Tutu along with Count Basie Basie Swings which is also supposed to be coming out on the 24th, on pre-order from Circuit City. They still have this as the release date listed on their website so I can only assume they will indeed be released.

If the R.E.M. and Neil Young discs do indeed come out in October, I will be grabbing them as well. At this point you have to give the edge to SACD for Jazz, but for Rock DVD-A is the best choice.

J

5. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

If I had an advance copy of Miles Davis Tutu I could report that it has a 5.1 mix of 24bit/96K along with a stereo mix of 24bit/96K [​IMG]
    I suspect this title had authoring completion prior to availibility of 24bit/192K at the mastering house, and that negotiations with the Miles Davis estate held up its release, but I am purely speculating on this piece of the post. The first piece of the post isn't purely speculation.
    Regards,

6. Michael St. Clair

You know, I would really, really love Out of Time from REM as well.

7. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

John, when I bought my Technics DVD-A10 a year-and-a-half ago, I received a DVD-Audio sampler disc. It has a track from Tutu in stereo, and for some reason, I thought the track was in 24/192. Some tracks on the disc are in 24/192. It's been awhile since I listened to the disc, so I could very well be mistaken with respect to the track from Tutu. Maybe it is just 24/96.

8. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

Keith,
    If I had a copy of Tutu the stereo tracks would most definitely be encoded @ 24bit/96k (hint, hint).
    I'll have to see if I still have that old WB sampler to see what rate it's encoded at. Even if it was 24b/192K, it could easily have been upsampled to that rate.
    Regards,

9. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Oh, sweet! Tutu is my favorite Miles album from Warner Brothers.

I already knew about Fragile.

Excellent!

NP: McCoy Tyner, Stanley Clarke, Al Foster, SACD (CD layer)

10. Shawn C

Shawn C Screenwriter

Linkin Park Reanimation is supposed to be on the 15th as well.

11. John Geelan

John Geelan Screenwriter

YESFragile is a must buy for me as well as Harvest. That's two more good releases for DVDA.
    I just picked up REM's Reveal on DVDA the other day from CC.com.
    I agree that for Rock fans, DVDA has been the leader so far. Until the Stones of course [​IMG]

12. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

John Kotches, thanks for the info. Much appreciated. Now I won't be surprised if Tutu is released in 24/96 stereo (along with 24/96 5.1). [​IMG]

13. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

14. Michael St. Clair

Spence Chrislu, DVD-A director at Warner told me this:

All releases from WB, Rhino, Elektra, & Atlantic will have discrete stereo (MLP) when the mix is available.

Many suits are nervous about PCM ripping via DeCSS, so most discs will just have a DD2.0 track for stereo on the DVD-V side. But always 448k.

Mike says: hello, those tracks are also easily ripped and converted to MP3, and pirates don't care about perfect quality).

Packaging (accurate labeling) has been a nightmare due to never dealing with anything this flexible/complicated. However, he thinks they've got it down now.

I'm hoping the rest of the industry follows suit with Warner's labeling.

15. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

16. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Fragile is on my list. My old used record could use an update.

17. Justin Lane

Just a heads up for those looking to get Yes Fragile , Circuit City now has it up for pre-order at 13.99. Hopefully R.E.M. and Neil Young will be up for order soon as well.

J

18. MikeH1

MikeH1 Screenwriter

Automatic for the people will be a must buy but I sure hope Out Of Time makes it out one day. Country Feedback would sound so good

19. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Michael, I too would love to see Out of Time come to DVD-Audio. I'm sure "Losing My Religion" would sound great in 24/96, and preferably, 24/192, stereo.

20. Justin Lane

I just got confirmation that my copy of Tutu shipped, but unfortunately the Count Basie title, Basie Swings was not included with the shipment. Does any know if this title was delayed?

J