What's new

Good biwire cables (1 Viewer)

ericanthonE

Stunt Coordinator
Hello, what are some good bi-wire cables(i looked at the monster cable M-series(and you will all probably laugh at me cause of my ineptitude).

I was going to bi-wire my:
LEFT MAIN || CENTER || RIGHT MAIN

I was going to LFE the LEFT || RIGHT also

any suggestions? Thanks

or should i tri-wire?

ericanthonE

Stunt Coordinator
where would i buy that at? how much is it. I would not want it to be more than 8 feet long i don't think for the cable length, for the room will not be huge.

Thanks

Gabriel_Lam

Screenwriter
I've just picked up a little of this because it's reasonably cheap ($1.40 per foot):

Twisted 12AWG bi-wire cable

Also picked up some cheap $3.xx per pair screw type bananas. Here's what it looks like so far. I haven't had a chance to pick up some heatshrink tubing yet, so please excuse the general ugliness:

I'll probably replace it with some locking bananas.

ericanthonE

Stunt Coordinator
heatshrink tubing. What exactly is the purpose of that. i know nothing about wiring really at all. Just that it can make a difference in the sound i guess. Could you explain to me what makes wire cost 100 times the cost of other wire, when it is all copper? because to me it is like feeling my way around a dark room. Thanks

Eric

oh and your wire is nice looking, at least i think so and i'm pretty picky

Gabriel_Lam

Screenwriter
The arrows point to the heatshrink tubing:

It's basically to make the wire look cleaner, neater. I guess as a side benefit, it helps the wire keep together (so that the jacket does not peel or fray). It's mainly for looks though.

As to why some wire costs 100x as much, well, I'll let someone else tackle that. ;)

ericanthonE

Stunt Coordinator
okay, so those pictures of the same wire that you recommended to me after it was updated? well anyway, the wire that you had the last picture of(pointing toward the heatshrink tubing). did you make that wire? that would be really good for me. could you explain for say(you are talking to someone who doesn't know what they are talking about) BUT NOT ME. How would you explain to that simple minded person how to get all of the pieces/where to get them, and how to put them all together

okay, okay, so it's me who needs help

I appreciate it greatly

Thanks,
~Eric

Mark C.

Supporting Actor
If you're overwhelmed by do=it-yourself, there's always DH Labs. Check out their web site. The T-14 biwires are very good.

ericanthonE

Stunt Coordinator
hi, the EC Bi-Wire Speaker Cable at 6 foot lenght at like 89.00. I like that, is that really good? Could i use that for my center as well?

ericanthonE

Stunt Coordinator
and i can get them in spade! Because i wanted spade but monster did not have them until you went into the M series, plus you have to get 10 feet lenght with the monster, and that is just too long. 6 feet is percet.

If there are any other places that sell cable they make similiar in quality to the EC, please let me know. I will probably just get these though.

Thanks a TON

Eric

Lam Nguyen

Stunt Coordinator
The 4S11 cable is a very good cable, they can be use for center. EC offer very good service when I bought IC from them. Most of the custom cable builder provide pretty good service from what I've read on this forum.

Gabriel_Lam

Screenwriter
Here's where I got my 4S11 (14awg based, when twisted together become 11awg) cable from (the 2nd picture):

http://www.clearcables.com/products.php?id=1

It comes with nice rhodium over silver plated copper spades or banana plugs.

If you want to make them yourself, it's more difficult with spades, because very few are screw on, most are crimp or solder, so you need tools.

If you want to make them yourself (and want them to look pretty) with banana plugs, you just need the speaker wire, plugs, heatshrink tubing, and techflex (the decorative mesh, comes in many colors, even chrome). It's very cheap to do.

ericanthonE

Stunt Coordinator
"it's very cheap to do"

isn't that just about something. Maybe i should sell cables for a living?

Thanks guys.

~Eric

Gabriel_Lam

Screenwriter
For instance:

Canare starquad: 69 cents per foot
Techflex: $10.33 for a 20 foot long sleeve
Heatshrink tubing: um, cheap. A few bucks

The banana plugs I have in my first picture were just over $3 for a pair. You can buy far FAR better locking banana plugs for $2.75 each:

But you have to place a price tag on your labor.

ericanthonE

Stunt Coordinator
bettercables were recommended to me? they seem very nice(yet again expensive). Does OC cables use the starquad?

Thanks again..

Eric

Gabriel_Lam

Screenwriter
BetterCables makes some very very nice cables. I use their DVI cable and their component cable.

Who is OC?

Robert_Dufresne

Stunt Coordinator
Eric

Bi-wiring is a myth, if your cable has the proper caliber bi-wiring wont make any difference. Think about it, with one cable, the 2 binding posts are linked together by a jumper. When you bi-wire, the 2 binding posts are linked together at your amp. If your speaker cable is big enough, there is no difference. Most people cant hear a difference either . Save your money.

Some wire cost 100x more because some people are willing to pay for them, Thats the only reason.

Robert

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks