speaker CABLE DILEMA??????

eric pesk

Auditioning
HEY EVERYONE THIS IS MY FIRST POST BUT I HAVE BEEN READING THIS FORUM FOR YEARS.
I FIGURED I WOULD PUT THIS QUESTION OUT TO ONE OF MY LIFELINES (HA-HA)
I HAVE JUST FINISHED MY THEATER AND I HAVE COME DOWN TO MY SPEAKER WIRES AND BOY WHAT A DIFFERENCE OF OPINION THERE IS OUT THERE. I HAVE BEEN TOLD TO USE WIRES FROM 100-400 PER 20 FOOT LENGTH I FIND THIS TO BE OUTRAGOUS I HAVE BEEN LEANING TOWARDS USING BLUE JEAN CABLES CANARY 14-4 BIWIRE SPEAKER WIRE BUT IT JUST SEEMS SO CHEAP I CANT IMAGINE IT IS ANY GOOD ARE THERE ANY SEMI EDUCATED GUESSES OUT THERE ON SPEAKER WIRE I AM RUNNING A SET OF KLIPSCH REFERENCE FLOOR STANDING SPEAKERS AND A DENON 4803 RECEIVER ANY HELP OUT THERE WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
If you're running inwall, then you want to get stuff that's rated CL2/3. It's a fire safety/building code kind of thing. Generally speaking, you can buy 12 gauge in bulk (100 ft, 250 ft spools) and simply use it for all your runs. It's a prudent idea to terminate your speaker wire in something like banana or spade connectors. This makes for a neater installation and avoids things like the possibility of stray strands shorting out. If you don't ****** to clear insulation (the stuff that covers the wires...not inwall) then you can pick up bulk wire at Home Depot, Lowes, PartsExpress, Monoprice, and so forth. If you want to be just a little bit different, then KnuKonceptz sells an attractive, highly stranded (makes the wire more flexible) wire with a blue tinted insulation. Otherwise, if you're looking for dressier looking wire, then there be prepared to spend more for someone to terminate it, cover it in TechFlex, add shrink tubing, and all that.

Sonically, good luck hearing differences between wires especially if they're competently made.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Hi Eric.

When you look at the different opinions on speaker wire, look if the people are coming from a MUSIC or HOME THEATER background.

Yes, the speaker wire makes a SMALL difference for music. But the nature of a movie soundtrack means the wires have a much smaller influence. So dont get caught up in the controversy for a theater system.

Many high-end HT systems are done with the 14-4 type of wire. I believe this was because it was hard to find in-wall rated 12 ga speaker wire.

Wire is actually very cheap, even the really good stuff. Add retail costs and Monster-style marketing claims and you get $$$ copper. Production studios/DVD authoring studios do NOT buy these cables. They buy spools of hundreds of feet of wire and custom-cut the cables they need. BlueJeans and other sites simply do the same, but for end-users.

Dont be put-off by the price. The retail price of many cables is 6-10 times the material cost. You can buy your own stuff in bulk, but then you need some tools and a small bit of skill. It is usually better to let someone like BlueJeans do it for you.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NC_Mike