1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Godfather, OAR and Television Presentation

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Doug_L, Aug 27, 2001.

1. Doug_L

Doug_L Stunt Coordinator

Before anybody jumps on me, I have done a search, and my question still remains unanswered:
    When they show "The Godfather" & "The Godfather II" on television and it fills the 4:3 frame, is it Pan & Scan or Full Frame, or what?
    I'm going to try not to misuse terms here. Was the Godfather shot open-matte, ie: a 4:3 frame that they matted to get the 1.85:1 theatrical aspect ratio? Or is there something else involved?
    This question popped into my head as I was watching "The Godfather Saga" on A&E the other weekend. I thought to myself "how different will this look in OAR?" It occurred to me that there didn't seem to be too many instances with a character talking to somebody out of frame, or too many conversations where the frame cut from one person to another, so I thought that rather than a Pan & Scan job, this may have been filmed open-matte.
    Can anybody verify the filming process, and if I'm using these terms right? Thanks.
    By the way, IMO, all the extra added scenes for the Saga were unnecessary and detrimental to the film(s). Give me the theatrical cut, or give me nothing at all.

2. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

Unless I'm much mistaken, the three films were shot spherical and composed for 1.85:1 projection. It's likely that any 4:3 (TV) versions have been transferred from the full frame, which means you're seeing image top and bottom which wasn't really mean to be there.

3. GerardoHP

GerardoHP Supporting Actor

Gerardo Paron
    I believe Rob is right. In fact, Coppola may have framed the three films with an eye on their television presentation, where as far as I know they've always been shown open-matte.
    When the three films first showed up on laserdisc in full-frame, open-matte editions, I heard through the grapevine that Coppola said this was how he intended the three Godfather films to be seen on television, the implication being that the viewer would not really benefit from getting widescreen editions of the films.
    However, I also understand that GODFATHER III was shot in Super 35 for a 1.85:1 theatrical presentation, which means that when comparing the full-frame and the widescreen versions you may see that the difference is not just at the top and bottom of the frame.
    ------------------
    Gerardo

4. Greg_Y

Greg_Y Screenwriter

I'm almost positive that I and II (at least) are full-frame when shown in a non-widescreen format. I remember doing comparisons between the widescreen VHS tapes and the Godfather Trilogy VHS tapes and seeing more on the top and bottom.
    Since Coppola had a hand in the DVDs and their anamorphic widescreen at 1.85:1, I'll consider that the proper display.
    The IMDB also lists this as 1.85:1.

5. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    Setting the wayback machine for when the theatrical re-release of GF1 and corresponding widescreen laserdisc of GF1, GF2, & GF3 were released, I have a vague recollection that at least the first two films were shot in whole or in part with nominal 1.66:1 hard mattes. This allows some matte opening for TV presentations, but still requires some cropping of the image.
    Aha, I have just located the alt.video.laserdisc thread here . Not that usenet is ever the final word on anything...
    Regards,
    ------------------
    Ken McAlinden
    Livonia, MI USA

6. Tim Gerdes

Tim Gerdes Second Unit

7. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden

8. Yohan Pamudji

Yohan Pamudji Second Unit

Somewhat related to this topic but not entirely, when AMC showed Godfather II a week or so ago, they showed it in 4:3 in the early evening and showed it in widescreen for the latenight showing! Yet another case of Warner-Brothers-thinks-joe-bloe-hates-widescreen-itis?

9. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden

10. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

11. David Tallen

David Tallen Stunt Coordinator

12. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

13. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    David caught it right away, because he lives near Frostbite Falls, MN and probably attended Whatsamatta U.. [​IMG] Personally, in my youth, I bore an uncanny resemblance to Sherman.
    Regards,
    ------------------
    Ken McAlinden
    Livonia, MI USA
    [Edited last by Ken_McAlinden on August 29, 2001 at 09:51 AM]