What's new

getting a green screen intermittently (1 Viewer)

rickyd

Auditioning
Real Name
james
I have a Viewsonic DLP projector and am running cable, blu-ray to Pioneer VSX-819H with HDMI then HDMI out to projector. Been running great for three yrs and now after running for an hr or so I sometimes get either a green screen for a moment or the picture freezes for 1-2 sec then returns to normal but this pattern continues. Any thoughts on where to start to troubleshoot this? The HDMI output cable runs up wall and over to ceiling mounted projector approx 27' run.
Thanks!

Jim517

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
I have a Viewsonic DLP projector and am running cable, blu-ray to Pioneer VSX-819H with HDMI then HDMI out to projector. Been running great for three yrs and now after running for an hr or so I sometimes get either a green screen for a moment or the picture freezes for 1-2 sec then returns to normal but this pattern continues. Any thoughts on where to start to troubleshoot this? The HDMI output cable runs up wall and over to ceiling mounted projector approx 27' run.
Thanks!

Does it happen when watching cable TV AND using the Blu-ray player? The first thing I would do is try a different "HDMI Input" on the receiver. If that doesn't work, I would try a different HDMI cable.

Last edited:

rickyd

Auditioning
Real Name
james
Does it happen when watching cable TV AND using the Blu-ray player? The first thing I would do is try a different "HDMI Input" on the receiver. If that doesn't work, I would try a different HDMI cable.
Yes...does it when using blu-ray or cable. Do HDMI cables that have always worked all of a sudden start having transmission issues?

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Just like anything else, HDMI cables can go bad.

In the 25 years I have had a home theater and ten years of having a component stereo system in my bedroom as a teenager, I have never had any cable "just go bad". They have to either have a manufacturing defect which usually crops up almost immediately (definitely not after 3 years of being fine), they are exposed to a humid environment, or the cable suffers some abuse or an electrical anomaly caused by a power surge, lightning strike, etc...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks