What's new

Please help; my Mits is broken :( (1 Viewer)

Nathan A

Second Unit
I was hoping to get some advice on my problem.

My Mits (55809, I think) has what I think is a convergence problem. The red, green, and blue do not align properly at the top and bottom of the screen. When on the "advanced convergence" grid, the center of the screen is basically fine, but as you approach the top or bottom of the screen each individual color bends more and more out of alignment (at the top they start to curve like a smile; at the bottom they curve like a frown).

So, for instance, when I open the DVD player tray, it normally says "Open" at the top right corner of the screen, but now it says it three times (once each in red, green, and blue, and each one is located just above the last one). The problem is somewhat intermittent (it sometimes goes normal, but only to mess up shortly thereafter).

I spoke with a local repair shop who simply said "convergence problems are $250" (although I'm not sure if he really understood what was wrong). Granted, I don't know much of anything about TV repair, but it just doesn't seem to me like it should be that much.

So, I was wondering if anyone knows what this problem is and if it's something I might be able to fix or what a reasonable repair price might be. Thanks!

MikeEn

Stunt Coordinator
Nathan,

Can't tell from your posting whether this is just a set needing a lot of convergence or the well known Mits convergence IC failure (which can be fixed pretty easily by a tech). Did it happen suddenly or gradually?

In either case, if you visit the Mits section of hometheaterspot.com you will find vast expertise on this and other Mits issues.

ME

Nathan A

Second Unit
It was very sudden; individual convergence adjustments don't help. When I try to converge a point, I can adjust it L/R, but up/down attempts have no apparent effect on-screen. The adjustments I can make simply don't fix it.

Thanks for the link; looks like I may find the help I need there.

MikeEn

Stunt Coordinator
OK, sorry about your set. If you search on "convergence IC solder" or similar you should find the threads. Some people fix these themselves using help from the forum there. If you're fanatic about your picture, you might get one of the calibrator guys out and have them fix the IC and calibrate the set. And this is apparently so common, although it hasn't happened on my WT46807 (yet!), that repair guys can actually fix it right the first time unless they are idiots ... oh, never mind ...

Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks