What's new

Get a Life (2 Viewers)

Bryan Krantz

Stunt Coordinator
Is there any chance this quirky show will see a rebirth on DVD? I haven't seen it in syndication in some time, and would be interested in buying it.

Aaron Cooke

Second Unit
Haven't heard anything, but I did hear on the radio this morning that it's chris elliot's birthday today. Think they said he was 46. I'd buy Get a Life if they ever released it too.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
There is another thread about this somewhere. However, as is known here, Chris Elliott apparently has said that Sony has planned season sets and Elliott has recored commentaries for the episodes. However, there is a legal issue holding up the possibility of release at this time. Someone here had claimed that Elliott was quoted as saying that GAL would be released in, I believe, February, but obviously that did not happen, so who knows what is going on at this point.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Probably because the show will be a music rights nightmare. I recall reading that one of the members of R.E.M. hated the show and refused to allow the use of the "Stand" theme song when USA Network reran it.
Sony should let Shout! Factory or Image have it.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Probably because the show will be a music rights nightmare
The impression in the other thread was that the entanglement has to do with David Mirkin, it may have been hinted at by Elliott but I can't confirm that. I'm sure music issues don't make things any easier, but who knows. It's not like the show was as music intensive as WKRP or something like that. As for R.E.M.'s "Stand." I can live with replaced theme music if the issue is prohibitive a la "Married with Children" I don't prefer it, but it's not a deal breaker. It is a bit weird that an R.E.M. member would hate the show so much that they would personally make a point of disallowing the song for an obscure syndication run. I know the show did not gibe with a lot of people's sense of humor, but to be that hateful of it seems to be a bit extreme. I don't remember the show attacking political sensibilities or anything like that.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Why would David hold up the release?? (I can't find the other thread). That's the first I've heard of it. He's not usually a stubborn man...

WillG

Senior HTF Member

James@R

Second Unit
MatthewA said:
Probably because the show will be a music rights nightmare.
I don't pretend to have any idea what I'm talking about here, but I would assume/hope that studios learned a lesson or two from WKRP. If not, what's going to happen to shows like My Name Is Earl, which use just as much- if not more- popular songs as WKRP did?

Bryan Toth

Stunt Coordinator
2 "best of" DVDs *were* actually released a few years ago. Each one had about 3-4 episodes. I'm pretty certain that they're long out of print, but they did exist (and looking over at Netflix, they're still apparently available for rental).

Pavan_P

Second Unit
Sony had it penciled in for Sept. 2005--but that never happened. It is still on hold, I guess.

SeanC

Agent
I don't think using "Stand" would be a problem, since its on the Rhino DVDs, and so is the rest of the licensed music. My guess is that since New World Television co-produced it, Anchor Bay would now own a part of it and Sony might be unwilling to split the profit since it's not likely going to be a big seller. All I know is that I'm dying for it to come out!!

Sean Richardson

Stunt Coordinator
Ethan Riley said:
Why would David hold up the release?? (I can't find the other thread). That's the first I've heard of it. He's not usually a stubborn man...
If I remember right, Mirkin considered the amount of money Fox (?) offered to be insulting. I don't remember if it was here or DVDtalk, but I remember a minor argument breaking out over whether Mirkin was being selfish or Fox was being stingy, but Elliot seemed to be saying that Mirkin was the hold-up without saying he was neccessarily in the wrong for doing so.

ScottLloyd

Stunt Coordinator
I have the Rhino-released DVDs and also picked up copies of the shows via eBay. If they ever release it I will purchase it again.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
i like to see Get a Life on dvd. It was a quirky show, but, funny with Chris Elliot. There are some other shows like ROC and the George Carlin that were also funny during the late 1980s and early 1990s.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I thought Sony was the company that had Get A Life.

I'd also like to see Shout pick it up if possible, and I can live with the replacement of "Stand" if it comes to that.

The song was already replaced on the Syndicated versions I last saw on USA about a decade ago.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
This was a quirky show, but a funny show. I would love to see this on dvd on along with the George Carlin Show/ROC, etc. Fox has some really quirky shows in the late 1980s and 1990s.

bretmaverick2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom Hunter
I have the two Rhino DVDs. Love em!

I have one episode on VHS - the one in which Chris believes his parents adopted him from an amish couple. Hysterical!!!!

Add me to the list that would love to see this show on DVD!!!!!!

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The rumor mill (actually, Chris Elliot) is saying that Shout may be giving us the complete Get A Life by the end of 2012
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Life-The-Complete-Series/16755
Of course, there's always the question of whether REM's Stand will remain as the theme song, but even if it doesn't, I'm okay with it being replaced as long as the episodes are otherwise unedited.
I mean, Stand would be nice, but it was cut from the show last time it was aired on TV in 2000, when USA aired it at noon.

jim_falconer

Screenwriter
I hope the new release will give you the option to turn off the canned laugh track. The Rhino discs gave you that option, and the episodes were SO much more enjoyable to watch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks