What's new

Press Release Criterion Press Release: Trainspotting (1996) (4k UHD Combo) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
FGRmEozrb7z3RNKE2ttD2BjD9ARATc_large.jpg
A jolt of adrenaline shot straight to the heart of 1990s British cinema, this darkly funny adaptation of Irvine Welsh’s novel was a major breakthrough for director Danny Boyle, producer Andrew Macdonald, and screenwriter John Hodge. With live-wire energy and stylistic verve, Trainspotting bounces across the life and times of Mark Renton (Ewan McGregor), a Scottish heroin addict who, along with his misfit mates, gets high, gets in trouble, gets clean, and gets high again, all in a bid to outrun the banality of modern existence. Kinetically cut to an iconic soundtrack of techno, rock, and Britpop, this indie phenomenon chooses life in all its ugly, beautiful, terrifying exhilaration.

FILM INFO​

• United Kingdom
  • 94 minutes
  • Color
  • 1.85:1
  • English
  • Spine #1204

FILMMAKER-APPROVED 4K UHD + BLU-RAY SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES​

• New 4K digital restoration, supervised by director Danny Boyle, with 2.0 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack
    • One 4K UHD disc of the film presented in Dolby Vision HDR and one Blu-ray with the film and special features
    • Alternate 5.1 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack
    • Audio commentary featuring Boyle, producer Andrew Macdonald, screenwriter John Hodge, and actor Ewan McGregor
    • Nine deleted scenes with commentary from the filmmakers
    • Off the Rails: The Making of “Trainspotting,” a documentary featuring archival interviews with cast and crew and behind-the-scenes footage
    • Memories of “Trainspotting,” a documentary from 2008 featuring the filmmakers and actors McGregor, Kelly Macdonald, Ewen Bremner, and Robert Carlyle
    • Reflections from soundtrack artists Iggy Pop, Jarvis Cocker, Bobby Gillespie, Damon Albarn, Leftfield, Underworld, and more
    • Theatrical teaser and trailer
    • English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
    • More!
    • PLUS: Essays by critic Graham Fuller and author Irvine Welsh, Welsh’s glossary of terms from the film and book, and glow-in-the-dark packaging

New cover by Mark Blamire

January 30, 2024

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate, HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited:

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Sweet! I'll finally be able to retire my Criterion Laserdisc (technically, it was retired when I got rid of my laserdisc player, but I still have the disc)! Presumably this will be the unrated version that was included on the LD, rather than the censored, R-rated US cut that was on the Lionsgate blu-ray?

Still Danny Boyle's best movie, IMO.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
At last! The Sony blu-ray from Japan, released in 2008, was one of my very first blu-rays. The commentary from the Criterion laserdisc is a classic.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I have the BluRay, but will likely upgrade to this release. Man, is it an intense film, but I think it’s a necessity in my collection. Great music, the blackest form of comedy ever invented, fine performances.

The Drifter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jim
Great news. I do have the Trainspotting Blu, but this sounds very tempting.

I remember seeing this theatrically three times back in '96. Fantastic film, with a great combination of humor & pathos - and some of the best editing I've ever seen in a motion picture. And, the film also boasts one of the best - if not the best - uses of rock/pop music in a movie. IMHO each song definitely elevates the scene(s) it's played over - incredible. I also have both CD soundtracks.

Anyone that saw Trainspotting & was foolish enough to characterize this as a pro-drug film definitely didn't see the same movie I did.

Here's an interesting article on the importance of music in the movie:

Last edited:

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Great news. I do have the Trainspotting Blu, but this sounds very tempting.

I remember seeing this theatrically three times back in '96. Fantastic film, with a great combination of humor & pathos - and some of the best editing I've ever seen in a motion picture. And, the film also boasts one of the best - if not the best - uses of rock/pop music in a movie. IMHO each song definitely elevates the scene(s) it's played over - incredible. I also have both CD soundtracks.

Anyone that saw the film & was foolish enough to characterize this as a pro-drug film definitely didn't see the same movie I did.

Here's an interesting article on the importance of music in the movie:

For What You Dream Of- Bedrock featuring KYO (a short segment of the song plays in the club when the guys celebrate winning at the horse track). Fantastic. Of course the Iggy Pop song Lust For Life kicks it all off- very fitting song.

The Drifter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jim
For What You Dream Of- Bedrock featuring KYO (a short segment of the song plays in the club when the guys celebrate winning at the horse track). Fantastic. Of course the Iggy Pop song Lust For Life kicks it all off- very fitting song.

Agreed. For What you Dream of is one of the best songs on the soundtrack - which is filled with incredible songs. The movie's music definitely introduced me to some artists/music I wasn't previously familiar with ATT. I really like the combination of New Wave/Techno music - truly sublime:

Last edited:

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
  • Alternate 5.1 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack
This has me curious. Will this be the track with the “softened” Scottish accents to make it easier for non-Scots to understand? If so, this could be a fascinating A/B comparison tool like the edited audio track on Hopscotch.

Reactions: PMF

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
This has me curious. Will this be the track with the “softened” Scottish accents to make it easier for non-Scots to understand? If so, this could be a fascinating A/B comparison tool like the edited audio track on Hopscotch.
The laserdisc (almost positive Criterion released it) came with this insert- Scottish translations and slang words. Hopefully this will be included in the literature for this release.
IMG_0078.jpeg

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
I would assume its the same 5.1 mix that appeared on Criterion's old laserdisc but nowhere else in the world in 1996 (hence the "alternate" part).

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
The laserdisc (almost positive Criterion released it) came with this insert- Scottish translations and slang words. Hopefully this will be included in the literature for this release.
I'd imagine it'll be part of the booklet (rather than its own LD size page) but the press release does list:
  • PLUS: ...Welsh’s glossary of terms from the film and book...

AlexF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alex
Gotta say, this motivated me to finally pick up (and watch for the first time) T2 Trainspotting.

Some excellent callbacks to the original, and I am really looking forward to picking this 4K up to replace the ages old DVD I have of the original film and watching the two of them back to back.

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Received mine in the mail today! I've got to say I'm not crazy about the packaging, which is a cardboard case that is the thickness of a standard Blu-ray case but is about 1/2" taller and 1/2" wider. It's also about 1/4" shorter and 1/2" wider than a standard DVD case. It's likely to cause a lot of OCD trauma for some of us when we try to put it on our shelves. :blink::eek::oops::huh:

• Haha
Reactions: PMF

seangood79

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sean
Received mine in the mail today! I've got to say I'm not crazy about the packaging, which is a cardboard case that is the thickness of a standard Blu-ray case but is about 1/2" taller and 1/2" wider. It's also about 1/4" shorter and 1/2" wider than a standard DVD case. It's likely to cause a lot of OCD trauma for some of us when we try to put it on our shelves. :blink::eek::oops::huh:
Recently got this from the Flash Sale.
Not a big fan of the packaging either. The discs are exposed from the top. The bare minimum purpose of any case is to protect the disc from dust accumulation.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks