What's new

Get a Life (1 Viewer)

jim_falconer

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by Russell G /t/235617/get-a-life/30#post_3938496
just posted by Shout Factory on Facebook:
-----------------------
-Alternate Audio Version Without Laugh Track On Select Episodes
I have to think that these are the same ones from the previous release. Too bad they could not have been able to do them all.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Laugh track fan too. I think MASH is better without the canned stuff. But I watch it with just for nostalgia. Now, old cartoons and kids shows such as Krofft...? Now those are trippy as hell with the fake laughs. I LOVE that! With Get a Life I'll most likely leave the laughter in there.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Peter M Fitzgerald said:
And now we must all dance to "Alley Cat", as Chris commands! :laugh:
I just read a rumor that Shout could not get the rights to "Alley Cat"
Kidding, of course. :D

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Radioman970 said:
This is back down again to $41.99.
Pre-ordered. Whew! Now waiting... :D
Little Tip,
Just pre-order on amazon as soon as the title is available. You're guaranteed to get the lowest price no matter what happens. If the price goes up after you pre order, you're locked in at the lower price that you pre ordered at. After you pre order, you get any price drop that subsequently happens. Literally, it's a no lose scenario.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
WillG said:
Little Tip,
Just pre-order on amazon as soon as the title is available. You're guaranteed to get the lowest price no matter what happens. If the price goes up after you pre order, you're locked in at the lower price that you pre ordered at. After you pre order, you get any price drop that subsequently happens. Literally, it's a no lose scenario.
That's a thing I'm gonna do for now on. There was no excuse for me not ordering that quicker other then thinking that price was going to hold for a bit. It was pretty stupid on my part. I wanted to hold off my order until I could decide what spaghetti westerns and blaxploitation films I wanted to buy. :p But I already had an overpriced xbox 360 controller for pc in there to get the free shipping... I could have just run Get a Life through. I was hitting myself in the head over that one. ...oh, I got some fantastic spaghetties and blaxploitations too! :tu:

Jeff*H

Premium
Real Name
Jeff
Hey, did anybody else pick up the GET A LIFE Complete Series set this week? Mine arrived yesterday from Amazon, and I've already plowed through the first 10 Season 1 episodes, a couple of commentaries as well, and the first featurette about the creation of the show, featuring David Mirkin, James L. Brooks and Judd Apatow.
The pilot episode looks a little rough in terms of picture quality, but the subsequent episodes look better, and about as good as can be expected for a low-budget show from that era. It's funny how the show managed to hit the ground running with several gems right off the bat ("The Prettiest Week of My Life", "Paperboy 2000"), and then managed to get even more dark and twisted as it progressed into Season 2. The writing on this show meshes perfectly with other Fox Network gems from that era, including The Ben Stiller Show and the early seasons of The Simpsons.
Mirkin is one nutty cat, and provides some hysterical insights into the creation of the series, but I'm disappointed that Chris Elliot apparently declined to participate for whatever reason in any of the extras in this release.
In any case, I highly recommend this set for fans of this twistedly funny show. I'm having to keep myself from burning through too many episodes in one sitting, as I'm trying to stretch this out for a week or so 'til my Bond 50 blu-ray set arrives.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I love Paperboy 2000.
Mine was shipped but hasn't yet arrived. Looking forward to it. Recently I picked up That 70s Show 1/2 seasons from Wallyworld for $10. Great deal and these will be fun to watch together.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
Radioman970 said:
I love Paperboy 2000.
Mine was shipped but hasn't yet arrived. Looking forward to it. Recently I picked up That 70s Show 1/2 seasons from Wallyworld for $10. Great deal and these will be fun to watch together.
I have the set, but it the disk holder was damaged. The defective disk holders is becoming the norm now and that is concern to me
I have not watched the show as i have it in my bookcase and will watch in Sunday. I believe Sunday was air date for the show
I am hoping with the Chris Elliot show being released there is hope for shows like ROC and/or George Carlin Show to come to dvd. I love comedians like Chris Elliot, George Carlin, etc!!!

Jeff*H

Premium
Real Name
Jeff
Found this quote from Chris Elliott from an online interview last March, before the set was officially announced:
“Get A Life is going to be coming out as a complete series on Shout
Factory. I’m not entirely sure when—I think probably in the fall?—but,
yes, it will be actually coming out…finally! At the end of April,
we’re going to be doing the special features. Commentaries and that
sort of stuff.”
This indicates he was originally planning to be involved with the extras on the set. Obviously that did not end up happening. I suspect either the timing did not work out with his schedule, or perhaps he was seeking (or was promised) compensation and didn't get it. Either way, this is a stellar release, but it would have been even better had he been directly involved.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
Jeff*H said:
Found this quote from Chris Elliott from an online interview last March, before the set was officially announced:
“Get A Life is going to be coming out as a complete series on Shout
Factory. I’m not entirely sure when—I think probably in the fall?—but,
yes, it will be actually coming out…finally! At the end of April,
we’re going to be doing the special features. Commentaries and that
sort of stuff.”
This indicates he was originally planning to be involved with the extras on the set. Obviously that did not end up happening. I suspect either the timing did not work out with his schedule, or perhaps he was seeking (or was promised) compensation and didn't get it. Either way, this is a stellar release, but it would have been even better had he been directly involved.
I watch a few episode last night and love the show. Chris Elliot's tv father helps makes the show. I think Get a Life is very underrated and it is great that DVD allow us to see the show again. I just hope ROC and George Carlin Show come to dvd as they are two off ball fox shows that i enjoyed!!

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
younger1968 said:
I have the set, but it the disk holder was damaged. The defective disk holders is becoming the norm now and that is concern to me
I have not watched the show as i have it in my bookcase and will watch in Sunday. I believe Sunday was air date for the show
I am hoping with the Chris Elliot show being released there is hope for shows like ROC and/or George Carlin Show to come to dvd. I love comedians like Chris Elliot, George Carlin, etc!!!
I got mine too. It's fine, luckily. It showed up with the 2 MST3K sets I ordered that were on sale. Those were fine too.
I previewed a couple of disc 1 episodes... definitely an inferior picture quality. A shame, was hoping it would look significantly better than the home made DVDs versions I replaced with it. Still, it looks better and they are uncut so I won't complain much. Roseanne and Married With Children look WAAAY better. Was hoping for something comparible to those.

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
Radioman970 said:
I got mine too. It's fine, luckily. It showed up with the 2 MST3K sets I ordered that were on sale. Those were fine too.
I previewed a couple of disc 1 episodes... definitely an inferior picture quality. A shame, was hoping it would look significantly better than the home made DVDs versions I replaced with it. Still, it looks better and they are uncut so I won't complain much. Roseanne and Married With Children look WAAAY better. Was hoping for something comparible to those.
The Ediflex system used by Get A Life means it will never look that great. They shot the show on Super 16mm. The negatives all went to video instead of a one light print. The tapes were loaded up into the Edifex system which was 16 VCRs that outputed to the master tape via the computer.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
I watched the Peterson family reunion and it was funny due to fact Jackie Earle Haley was the favorite cousin. I like how the built up the cousin, because he drove a chevette and/or expanded his melon stand. Chris is perfect dufus and his role as Chris Peterson suits him great!

jim_falconer

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by Corey3rd /t/235617/get-a-life/30#post_3978449
The Ediflex system used by Get A Life means it will never look that great. They shot the show on Super 16mm. The negatives all went to video instead of a one light print. The tapes were loaded up into the Edifex system which was 16 VCRs that outputed to the master tape via the computer.
Interesting. Was this same system employed with Alf as well? I watch the Alf Christmas Special at least once or twice a year, and always noticed that it has that 'video tape' look to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks