What's new

*** Gay-Friendly DVDs, version 4.0 (1 Viewer)

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Keilen-
The director of I Think I Do mentioned
on his website several months ago, that he thought
the Region 1 DVD of the film would be out the summer
of 2000. So... obviously it has been delayed.
Mark

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
I'm willing to be Paramount won't touch it with a ten foot pole, but that it's farmed to a small subsidiery to avoid Southern Baptists etc boycotting the mother company. Not that they won't anyway
frown.gif

Jeff Kleist

Trace Downing

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trace Downing
Actually Jeff, I think Paramount wouldn't shy away from this series.
In & Out was one of their first 3 DVDs released to the market in October '98. They could've gone the safe route and released Top Gun and Mission Impossible first instead, but along with Face/Off and Star Trek: First Contact, In & Out was first out. That, and this years release of Get Real, shows that they're not afraid of gay subject matter.
Don't confuse Paramount Pictures/Home Video with Paramount Television...They have no control over Dr. Laura or her failed show.
Now, Columbia on the other hand...Where's Beautiful Thing?
------------------
"I thought you said your dog didn't bite?"
"That is not my dog."

Thane

Stunt Coordinator
Mark:
Thanks for the recommendation for Playing by Heart! Finally received a copy...really enjoyed the film! What a great roster of stars: Sean Connery, Gillian Anderson, Elln Burstyn, Anthony Edwards, Angelina Jolie, Ryan Phillippe, Dennis Quaid, Gena Rowlands, Jon Stewart, and Madeline Stowe...wow! Plus the music by John Barry! Thanks again.
------------------
MY DVD LIBRARY

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Thane-
I am thrilled you enjoyed Playing By Heart!
It is weird because the film feels so "gay friendly,"
without really having much a gay storyline.
The drag queen who chats with Dennis Quaid is
so brilliant, the the script is so strong!
anwway...
Cheers to all!
:)
Mark

Julian Lalor

Supporting Actor
Isn't Playing By Heart presented in the wrong (ie 1.85:1 instead of 2.35:1) aspect ratio? This is the reason I didn't purchase the DVd when it was first released.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I have been receiving a free month of the Sundance Channel (which is showing a number of Gay friendly movies & documentaries this month) when I picked up Showtime for QAF. I've tried twice to watch "Finding North" but each time get a phone call (just one more reason DVD is superior to cable). The film seemed very sweet, and I wondered if the DVD is worth picking up.
Does anyone have this DVD? Is it OAR? 16x9? It was shown in widescreen on Sundance. Any special features? Good Video quality?
Thanks for any help on this.
------------------
Rationality is not a commodity which is evenly distributed.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Actually, I totally forgot that Paramount did Get Real, my apologies. In&Out was more mainstream in appeal, so I didn't really count it(not that it wasn't good!) Under what banner has the other Showtime stuff been done? Or if QAF is under Paramount, will we see it 2 eps/disc? :)
Jeff Kleist

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Playing By Heart is presented aprox 1.85:1
instead of its OAR of 2.35:1. Still, the movie
is just to good to pass up. Also, I have looked
for instances in the film where it looks poorly
composed, as in, are things cropped wierd or framed
weird on the sides...and I would have to say the
the film does NOT suffer for being slightly zoomed.
I have no idea why Miramax released it this way,
but it does not detract from the film.
Also, I rented the dvd of Finding North
and found it started out well, but then just annoyed
me. Basically a gay man takes journey his dead lover
asks him to take via a tape recorder.
(It is a bit like a spritual version of a scavenger hunt.)
I liked the cast,
but the film itself felt to contrived to me.
It has been so long that I forget the specs on the
DVD.
Also, I just got a brocure in the mail with
films coming to DVD. I am wondering if anyone
here as seen any of these DVDs that TLAVideo.com
has for sale:

The Trio
Surrender Dorothy
Don't Tell Anyone
Spin The Bottle
The Journey of Jared Price
Lola and Billy The Kid

Any reviews of these films and/or DVDs would be great!
:)
Mark

Trace Downing

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trace Downing
The only other Showtime Show that has a DVD release is "Stargate SG1" which is put out by MGM. MGM produces the show. I'm assuming that QAF will eventually be out by Warner Home Video. Judging by all the talk about "The Sopranos", I don't think it'll be too shabby a set.
The question is, how many years do we have to wait for season 1?

Alan Light

Stunt Coordinator
This information may have been posted before, but an article in the Dec. 13 Miami Herald tells where you can call to buy the original Queer As Folk on DVD and VHS in North American NTSC video format.
http://www.floridaoutlooks.com/columns/out121300.htm
The article says:
''Queer as Folk'' also can be ordered by telephone at 877-919-C1TV (2188).
The price is $69 plus shipping and sales tax for either two VHS tapes or two DVDs.
Note the DVD is 16:9 enhanced.

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
It looks like Normal, Ohio isn't
doing well in the ratings, but a mid-season replacement
on CBS is Kiss Me, Guido based on the film.
The movie certainly would lend itself to a television
show.
Cheers,
Mark

Gerard Priori

Stunt Coordinator
I've read that NORMAL, OHIO shoots its last episode today. Once the initial run of 13 episodes have aired, Fox plans on rerunning episodes of THAT '70s SHOW until it decides on a replacement. It wasn't a very good show. I'm not surprised it didn't last a full season.
I'll reserve judgment on KISS ME GUIDO until I've seen it. I will say that the idea of a sit-com based on the movie doesn't interest me too much; but I will tune in if it is offered as a mid-season replacement.
I am looking forward to Ellen's new show. but given what happened to her last show, I doubt they'll do anything as "risky" or fabulous as the episode "It's a Gay, Gay, Gay, Gay World."
Now if there were only a TV show of the very fabulous animated series over at icebox.com QUEER DUCK. Now that's entertainment!
-Jerry

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
While I liked the film of Kiss Me, Guido
just slightly better than okay, because the film was
fairly weak on creating a storyline arc, it makes it
(to me) more applicapable to television, where storylines
just run on and on and on.
Which brings me to another point,
do you (all of you) think Queer As Folk
will run out of steam if it has to keep going
like an Energizer bunny?
I almost think the Brits do it right by having
series that, from the beginning, plan to terminate
in one or two seasons.
Mark

David Sams

Auditioning
Way back in version 1.0 :) of this thread I sugested some of you might be interested in a UK TV show called This Life
At that time it was not available on DVD, but I have just seen that it is supposed to be being released by the BBC on the 26th March.
I have no further details as to how many episodes are to be included etc. (It was only a 2 series show) but I will gladly post up more info on this thread when it becomes available if anyone is interested.
Regards
David

joe jackson

Auditioning
I happened to catch Urbania at the cinemas when it played here in Knoxville. It was good, it definitely had an independent feel. Much like the urban myths that provide the story with a backdrop, it to had several twists. It also had a surreal feeling that was ominous like that of a ghost story.
Alan Cummings from Titus plays a small role. Would probably like to catch it again when it becomes available on DVD, the film was released by Lions Gate so I'm not sure who would handle the distribution here in the US.

Kong Chang

Screenwriter
Ooh! This Life is coming out on DVD! I knew it would come out, but I didn't know when. Thank you for the info!
I've been a big fan of This Life since BBC America aired it, and I love every episode of it. :) So, March 26th is the initial release date. I just hope they do boxsets like they did with the video tape releases. This is one great series (naturally starring one of my fave actors, Jack Davenport). :)
KC

Tony Aguila

Stunt Coordinator
I would like to mention a couple of titles which I consider milestones... Therese and Isabell (1968), and The Killing of Sister George (1968). I think the latter was given an X rating when it first came out. I consider it one of Robert Aldrich's (Longest Yard, Flight of the Phoenix, Dirty Dozen, et al.) best work. Savant has a great review of it.
Tony Aguila

John Koehler

Stunt Coordinator
Anyone have the lowdown on the Peruvian film Don't Tell Anyone yet? Is it just another coming out soap opera, or something we can, um, sink our teeth into?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks