What's new

Kyle_D

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kyle Dickinson
One cannot simply turn off HDR, and have SDR. After spending some time with this disc, my opinion is that the film was damaged by HDR.
I understand that the PQ EOTF used in HDR is totally different than the SDR gamma curve. I also understand the potential for abusing the expanded dynamic range of the PQ EOTF on titles that never used that range. I also understand that SDR gamma is much easier to calibrate and is not subject to the tonemapping issues that plague displays when the dynamic range of HDR content exceeds the capabilities of the display. I’m not sure I understand, however, why the SDR gamma curve is inherently superior to the PQ EOTF for classic titles when the expanded dynamic range is not abused and the display is capable of displaying the full dynamic range of the content without tonemapping. I’m genuinely interested in your insights, however, and would welcome to be disabused of any false understandings.

Last edited:

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Blown out highlights.

Do you mean turning off HDR (or downconverting to SDR) tends to blow out highlights (that weren't already blown in previous BDs or even the included BD)?

I woulda thought the preventing of that would normally be part of the benefits of HDR... if handled properly at the final display end, of course...

_Man_

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks