What's new

Gas BBQ grill recommendations? (1 Viewer)

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
What's really good is grilled crookneck squash. Get a really big one and cut it in half, then rub with some peanut oil before grilling.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I see I'm going to need some peanut oil, to hang with you, Dennis :)Sounds good. I did some simple asparagus, oil and salt. My timing is off and grill quality is low. Need more practice. :)

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Peanut oil has the highest burn temperature of any vegetable oil...perfect for BBQ. Sesame oil adds that exotic flavor to stir fry dishes. Then for most other things there's always canola oil, pride of northern Idaho.

But I also am a big fan of Mobil 1 0W-40 right now.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I bought a shit ton of Shell Rotella T this weekend. $14 a gallon. Hasn't been that cheap in years. When an oil change is 4.5 gallons(yes, gallons) You buy in bulk...For cooking on a grill...nothing, to me, beats EVOO.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
DaveF said:
So with the grill working-ish, I want recommendations for accessories, gadgets, upgrades. I've got a whole new category of possible presents here :D

I'm immediately interested in remote-read thermometers and/or iPhone apps. Thoughts?
I too would be interested in any comments on the remote-read thermometers.
schan1269 said:
I bought a shit ton of Shell Rotella T this weekend. $14 a gallon. Hasn't been that cheap in years. When an oil change is 4.5 gallons(yes, gallons) You buy in bulk...For cooking on a grill...nothing, to me, beats EVOO.
What kind of vehicle are you doing the oil change on, an M1 Abrahms Tank? :P

EVOO? No wait…I've got it. Extra Virgin Olive Oil. I'd like to know how there can be something such as extra virgin. :rolleyes:

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Johnny Angell said:
I too would be interested in any comments on the remote-read thermometers.What kind of vehicle are you doing the oil change on, an M1 Abrahms Tank? :PEVOO? No wait…I've got it. Extra Virgin Olive Oil. I'd like to know how there can be something such as extra virgin. :rolleyes:
97 F250 powerstroke I looked it up, once, just to know. Extra does mean something...

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Per google:

[*]
denoting a particularly fine grade of olive oil made from the first pressing of the olives and containing a maximum of one percent oleic acid.

[/list]
I suppose that means "virgin" is oil from the second pressing? Just leave it to the marketing types to discover there's something more than virgin. The guy that came up with it probably thinks "most current" is better than "current". :wacko:

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Dennis Nicholls said:
Peanut oil has the highest burn temperature of any vegetable oil...perfect for BBQ. Sesame oil adds that exotic flavor to stir fry dishes. Then for most other things there's always canola oil, pride of northern Idaho.But I also am a big fan of Mobil 1 0W-40 right now.
Can you cook with avocado oil? It's higher than peanut oil. I've got olive oil and canola oil. At the time I was thinking of oils, those seemed the best mixture if flavor and healthiness. I've used sesame oil a bit, but I don't get to stir fry anymore I may buy a little peanut oil for grilling.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
Just a side recommendation - we put a couple 50lb sandbags in the storage cabinet. Without a LP canister these NG grills are top heavy. We only had our last grill two years when a severe storm hit us and blew the grill over severely denting it. Still worked, but it was an eyesore.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Paul D G said:
Just a side recommendation - we put a couple 50lb sandbags in the storage cabinet. Without a LP canister these NG grills are top heavy. We only had our last grill two years when a severe storm hit us and blew the grill over severely denting it. Still worked, but it was an eyesore.
What did that do to your NG connection?

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I'm fully operational. I replaced the igniters Friday night. (Oddly, that didn't go smoothly. I had to mix-and-match sparkers from the original and replacement kit to get the grill to light correctly on all burners.) Also pulled the grill another foot away from the railing to avoid any melting vinyl problems. And I ran all three burners for about 20 minutes, and the grill was up to 600F; everything is good with the NG line and gas flow (I've seen online complaints with poor gas flow preventing the grill from heating up properly).

Had friends over last night and grilled burgers, asparagus and corn. Very good :)

I recommend the Weber handle light. It automatically turns off when the lid is closed.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Since my power is out*, I bought a Connie's frozen pizza...and grilled it. Not bad, first time grilling a frozen pizza.*Yes, got a generator, connected to the gas line. 90+ Mph winds(supposedly no tornado) yanked trees out of the ground...and roots severed the line. Of course, the town had to shut down the gas...hopefully will have gas or electric back soon.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I was talking to some friends about my new grill, and my curiosity to try grilling pizza. They both recommended it's not worth the trouble. You want indirect heat, and it's hard to not burn the pizza.But,, if it's all the cooking you've got, it's great!:)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
So how's this supposed to work?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    273.3 KB · Views: 54

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks